Day, and here in Movescount we are going to spend that day by doing a
maintenance update. The update will start on 7am (GMT) 29th Feb, and should
take few hours. We'll notify you when the update is completed and Movescount is
ready to be used again.

Most of our work lately has been related to making Movescount compatible with
the new Suunto
Ambit
, but there's also quite many new features for the existing users as
well. More about those after the update... Stay tuned!

Keep on moving!

The Movescount team

HTH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rob, Im the moderator on this forum. Welcome. If you would like to link to your blog that would be fine. Or if you dont mind send me a link, I will have a look and then post it if thats ok.

Id like to start up a new thread anyway.

You can send me a link by clicking on my name (on the upper left of the post) and choosing to send me a private message.

Thank you.
Thanks Jeff, I will definitely send it to you first. I thought it would be of interest as I know the review being done should be a quality piece and also noted in response that another poster noted that nobody to date actually has an Ambit, for which we here do. This should make it a good piece of information.

We are indeed a Suunto reseller, but ONLY in Australia, so anyone outside of Australia I neither can or will sell too. Hence, my reason for offering the Review is not to promote ourselves to the WUS forum for it serves me NIL benefit.

Once we have it up, I will PM you the link Jeff and you are welcome to do with it as you see fit ! Hope it helps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Some Q&A feedback from Suunto on Ultra168's site here: New Suunto Ambit Q&A Update « Ultra168

Interesting that this seems to contradict the Q&A on their website that states it is not compatible with the footpod mini. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether it will or not.

This is good news:
Also, Is it ANT+ or still on Suunto’s porprietary ANT setup?
  • Ambit is ANT currently with other connection types including Bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+ being assessed as to the most useful upgrade in the future. There is focus on making the unit compatible with Power meters in SW2.0.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This is an important question if we are not to order the wrong package. I already have a Ant compatible belt; the dual comfort belt supplied with my t4d. However, when I submitted a query with Suunto on this, I was told that it is not comparable with the Ambit.
Here is another recent Suunto Q&A answer on compatibility of the belts. So, it seems to be a 1:1 compatibility - the Ambit can only use the 'new' (included) ANT HR belt, and the 'new' ANT belt will work only with the Ambit. That's a bummer for people already using other recent Suuntos. I'll refrain from getting too emotional... but hope they had a technical barrier and not just purely some marketing/revenue non-customer-oriented reason. Or mabye it's some forward-looking capability benefit, as hinted by the Ultra168 Q&A.
"The new Suunto ANT comfort belt will not be compatible with the t6 or other Suunto ANT heart rate monitors."

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Folks, there is a review out there... please lets hold on linking it here till I can get approval from WUS ownership.

The review is on a retail site and that can be an issue.

I dont think it will be in this case as I have been in contact with Rob from the site. But please let me ask Ernie and we will go from there.

thanks! I should have an answer later today.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The review is certainly in depth, but considering the product reviewed was not using final hardware OR software i'm not sure how useful it is - although the casing, strap and buttons are final versions so I guess all durability and 'feel' comments are valid.

·
Registered
372 Posts
looks like Movescount dot com is down for maintenance. hopefully it will be updated for those writing a review to get a quick review on the ambits features through the site

·
Registered
27 Posts
The review is certainly in depth, but considering the product reviewed was not using final hardware OR software i'm not sure how useful it is - although the casing, strap and buttons are final versions so I guess all durability and 'feel' comments are valid.
The model we have here is final hardware and the firmware is an ever changing thing. So I must disagree in that I think it is a very useful review for several reasons;

1. It is said that the firmware is about 80 to 90% of final product launch firmware.
2. The actual watch we have is 100% finished as a mechanical item. If the inner workings changes I would be surprised. we went further than the review states and cannot divulge further details we are aware of. Regardless, it certainly looks pretty final to us here.
3. The reveiw is better than any other review out there at this point right now, being 2 weeks before it is publicly on sale.
4. It also goes to answering Post #235 whereby the member states; "So far none of the WUS posters here have one of the watches, and it hasn't been reported yet that someone can exactly give an answer from hands-on experience."

It was point 4 above that provided me the motivation to say that we have an Ambit here now and that a review was imminent. We do truly hope you enjoy reading it and find it valuable when assessing the Ambit.

The writer is a massive Garmin fan and is fanatical about his devices. He lives and breathes all popular brands and knows them back to front. So to write about a Suunto product and come to the overall conclusion that he likes the Ambit is both an unbiased and radically different view point to his everyday life with Sport Watches mostly being Garmin. Peter is also an ultra runner that regularly competes in 50km and up to 250km trail running events. So you can be assured that tests performed are done over long distances and compared to a plethora of experiences.

Hence I propose that at this point in time, the review is probably the most useful review available out there. (of course, that could be different tomorrow, but for now until told otherwise I think it rings true).

The biggest disappointment was that we could not upload/download through Movescount due purly to the fact that Movescount was not updated to connect to the Ambit as yet. However since this in essence was not a watch issue, so we progressed with the view that in Part 2 we will put the watch, including Movescount, through real life situations using final product.

We will produce Part 2 and Part 3 in the coming months once we have final product in our hands (expected mid this month) and we will also make the reviews available to WUS readers pending approval by the moderators.

Lastly, please also note that we do not want you to buy anything from us based on any advice given and further we DO NOT conduct any sales whatsoever outside of Australia, so please do not contact us to make purchases, you will be politely turned away and are misguided as to our intentions to add value to the forum only.

The review has now been posted in a new thread by moderator Jeff_C here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f233/ambit-review-656011.html

·
Registered
372 Posts
3. It is better than any other review out there at this point right now, being 2 weeks before it is publicly on sale
not to intrude but can you elaborate on the underlined red part of the quote. sorry just trying to get an estimated date of release for this product.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our sources here are currently stipulating mid March. This was up to date as of about 1 week ago. I do know the date more accurately, however I cannot divulge due other constraints, but emphasis on Mid !

This could be totally wrong for all I know though. Manufacturers hit delays all the time and announce them just when you get comfortable !

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
@RobGrinter

Thanks very much for the great review. It was extremely helpful in identifying two major (for me) points which caused me to cancel the AMBIT I had on Pre-Order.

Those two points are:

1. Seconds in Time mode only available as a View option displacing the Day of the week. I really want Day/Date/Hour/Minutes/Seconds all displayed at once.

2. Time is not updated by GPS. Really? One of the major advantages of a GPS watch is the availablity of accurate time. Not to sync the watch with the signal from the GPS is a glaring oversight.

I have by no means written off the AMBIT, just decided that I will allow Suunto to go through the teething pains first before I re-evaluate.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Suunto has a couple of videos of the ambit on youtube now and I saw one that had the device where it automatically set its time but I am not sure if it was bc they plugged it up to the computer or not. I am with you on your 2 points, but I am thinking that Suunto is leaving the window open to take suggestion to add features later if there is enough demand for it. The reason I say that is because they have said that they will have firmware updates in the future to improve the features and or advance the features of this device.
@RobGrinter

Thanks very much for the great review. It was extremely helpful in identifying two major (for me) points which caused me to cancel the AMBIT I had on Pre-Order.

Those two points are:

1. Seconds in Time mode only available as a View option displacing the Day of the week. I really want Day/Date/Hour/Minutes/Seconds all displayed at once.

2. Time is not updated by GPS. Really? One of the major advantages of a GPS watch is the availablity of accurate time. Not to sync the watch with the signal from the GPS is a glaring oversight.

I have by no means written off the AMBIT, just decided that I will allow Suunto to go through the teething pains first before I re-evaluate.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Anyone find any juicy tidbits in the videos?

Here's what I noted:
1. "Cadence Pod" "Bike Pod" and "HR" are all that is listed in the pairing menu. Nothing about a footpod.
2. In the silver unboxing video, it sure seems like the HR module doesn't say "Ant", more like "Dual." Pairing video shows an "Ant"
3. Compass calibration requires an extra 'tilt 90 degrees' step for full "3D" calibration. I like it, for some reason I can't explain.

Also, In this video:
suunto ambit gps uhr - YouTube
Can any German speaker please translate what he says about
a) Track Back function at 2:23
b) Dual Belt at 4:50

From the videos, I'm liking the Silver more than Black.

241 - 260 of 462 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.