WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Re: Suunto Core or wait for Ambit

I've owned several GPS based watches and this one definitely isn't as LARGE as others have been. Looks good. Just need to decide between the 910XT and this. Leaning to Suunto as it can be used as an all around watch as well :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Anyone find any juicy tidbits in the videos?

Here's what I noted:
1. "Cadence Pod" "Bike Pod" and "HR" are all that is listed in the pairing menu. Nothing about a footpod.
2. In the silver unboxing video, it sure seems like the HR module doesn't say "Ant", more like "Dual." Pairing video shows an "Ant"
3. Compass calibration requires an extra 'tilt 90 degrees' step for full "3D" calibration. I like it, for some reason I can't explain.

Also, In this video:
suunto ambit gps uhr - YouTube
Can any German speaker please translate what he says about
a) Track Back function at 2:23
b) Dual Belt at 4:50

From the videos, I'm liking the Silver more than Black.
Yeah, FootPOD fell out, for now.
HR - see below.
I seem to remember that calibration on Suunto's instruments with 3D compass has been like that for a little while...

The German (more like, Austrian/Bavarian) vid:

About the TrackBack function: he only says that you have it if you need it, and (this is quite interesting) that you can access your GPS location data immediately.
He seems to mean both as in: you can access GPS also if you are in "exercise" mode... Or at least, that's how I hope it can be interpreted. From what I've been hearing, one should be able to navigate and log exercise data, or exercise and navigate along waypoints, but I haven't heard/seen anything definitive on that yet, and am a little concerned this may not be implemented as well as one might wish (though Suunto tends to surprise me on the plus side...)

Interestingly, at ~4:50, he was still saying that the non-HR package only just comes without the HR belt, and that you could just as well use an older model HR belt that you have - which is, apparently, not so anymore - and so far, this is the one decision of Suunto's I have the most trouble understanding...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have not read through all 15 pages just yet (I am working on it though)

Is anyone else concerned with the 50hr battery life? If you go on an expedition of more than 3 days and have no power source this would be an issue? It is the only thing that has me worried - though I will be buying one anyways I think :D

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts

Is anyone else concerned with the 50hr battery life? If you go on an expedition of more than 3 days and have no power source this would be an issue? It is the only thing that has me worried - though I will be buying one anyways I think :D
That 50 hour battery life is with constant 1 fix/minute use of the GPS.

With just the ABC functions of the watch, battery life is 30 days.

If you don't mind a little more bulk in your pack for an extended trip, you could always use a Solia solar charger as Suunto has recommended in the past for the X9/X10 family of watches: BOLT Solar Battery Charger (S620-AH1RW)

Using a solar charger, you could charge the charger during the day and charge your watch at night - repeat ad infinitum. ;-)

HTH

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thanks G - while I totally agree with both - there is a way around it as well as shutting off the features, I buy the tool to use the tool not as a "watch" so to speak. But yeah, I concur with you if I want a little more bulk with the BOLT.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Indeed yes. But not really a new concern.

Anyone who needs more than 50hrs of "GPS-on" battery life definitely needs to be worried about AMBIT. And worried too about essentially any other battery-powered GPS receiver (at least that I know of). e.g. my GPSMAP60 lasts 20hrs on a pair of regular AAs. Batteries and Solar Juice for electronics (headlamps, cell phones, cameras etc) are pretty high on most folks lists of stuff to consider for such an outing. (Except for the hiking purists who leave all the electrons at home).

What's cool, and new, is that the Ambit makes it even a point of reasonable discussion and consideration for a wrist-mounted navigation and tracking device to be 'charge-free' for a couple days out on a trek.

And knowing how my hypoxic brain works, I'd likely accidentally set the intervals to 1/sec, and the bloody thing would be dead on day1. And two months later, some ranger would find a Built-To-Last Ambit with a high-resolution recorded track in a pile of bear scat, and figure out exactly where I'd been during the first 16 hrs of my trip. ;-)
And that is why my bloody backpack is always so dang heavy! extra batteries.

·
Registered
308 Posts
About the latest rumors talking about the FOOT POD not working with the AMBIT, I thought I could contribute with this :

FROM THE OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE on Suunto's website (1-2-2012) RED WORDS HIGHLIGHTED BY ME
Comments Jonathan Wyatt, six-time world mountain running champion:”As a trail runner and mountain athlete, what I need in a watch is a heart rate monitor, speed & distance, and altimeter. The AMBIT has all these features in one unit which is really exciting. One of the main problems for endurance athletes is battery life of conventional GPS sports watches so the promise of 50hrs is a big step forward.""Fused speed technology also gives a more accurate pace which is vital for anyone serious about their running. Being able to pair it and use it with all the existing PODs and comfort belts is another big plus point for me. This means one watch can be used for all my activities like mountain biking, road cycling, trail and mountain running, cross country skiing and ski mountaineering."

how can they allow this to be said and not make the foot POD to work with the ambit.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
so I guess that I just have not realized that 50hrs is good for this type of thing. I never use GPS unless on my phone and just now have the need to have it while on photography adventures. So I guess this is pretty good. I just went to buy one and nothing like seeing available 4/20/12 when I want one now lol.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
how can they allow this to be said and not make the foot POD to work with the ambit.[/COLOR][/LEFT]
What do you need a foot pod for when a GPS sits on your wrist?

cheers

·
Registered
308 Posts

cheers
2 reasons I would like the foot POD to be compatible with the ambit.

1) Running on a treadmill
2) running and trekking where GPS signal is unavaible (Mt Katahdin in Baxter State Park, to name only one)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Footpod
3) (for some people): running cadence (has Movescount supported this for any watch?)
1a) Treadmill: to upload to Movescount - e.g. compare HR to speed/distance. For some folks, if all the data isn't in a computer, it's like the exercise didn't happen. :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Suunto AMBIT Q&A Table

Maybe it's just me, but the Suunto.com Q&A section is really annoying. A million clicks to look through it.
And not to mention, separate Q&A for the SilverHR, Black nonHR, and Silver non-HR. Good grief.

I hope it's not against a Forum rule for me to re-post them here in a Table for the benefit of Humankind.
Hopefully not too many cut-paste errors on my part.:-s

GENERAL
Where can I buy Suunto Ambit?Suunto Ambit is available globally at selected outdoor and sport retailers. It is also available via the suunto.com webshop.
Do I need a computer to take Ambit into use?You need to wake up the unit by charging it. You can do this by either attaching the unit with the USB-cable to PC or by charging the unit with USB-compatible wall charger. The USB-cable comes in the device package whereas the charger is available as separate accessory.
What is the depth/thickness of the Suunto Ambit?The Suunto Ambit thickness is 18,2mm.
Are the power cable and data download cable one in the same on the Ambit?
Is the cable the same as used with a T6?
Is charging through USB only? (is there a wall adapter?)
Can GPS be turned off in order to achieve longer battery life?
No, the t6 USB cable is not compatible with the Ambit.
The USB cable is part of the Ambit sales package whereas the AC charger is available as a separate accessory.
GPS should be turned off when it's not used.
What are the retail prices recommended by Suunto for Ambit in USA and EMEA/APAC?The recommended retailer price is 429/479 EUR in Europe and $500/550 in the US.
what is the cost of the Ambit?The recommended retailer price is 429/479 EUR in Europe and $500/550 in the US.
If I buy the Ambit without HR-belt, can I upgrade it into full functionality simply by buying the HR-belt?Yes, the full functionality is there in each Ambit and you can enjoy the HR-features (such as calories, real-time HR, average HR, peakTE etc.) simply by buying the HR-belt and pairing it with your Ambit.
except of selected outdoor and sport retailers where else can i buy the suunto ambit from?
the suunto.com webshop is selling only accessories as i've realised
Suunto Ambit is available globally at selected outdoor and sport retailers. It is also available via the suunto.com webshop.
What are the diameter of the clock?The diameter of the Ambit is 50mm.
What does it mean that each version of Ambit has both light and dark displays?You can invert the display colour in both Ambit versions (Silver and Black) from light to dark or vice versa simply by long pressing the VIEW button.
Ambit: Manufacturing country?
In which country are Ambits manufactured? ..rumour goes they are made in Finland.
Or are the 'Designed in Finland, made in China' as some of the Suunto's cheaper models?
The Ambit is made in Finland.
Can you give the dimensions of the Ambit ie. face diameter, width, total lug size ?The Ambit dimensions are
case diameter: 50mm
display diameter: 29,8mm
thickness: 18,2mm
where and when can I get Suunto Ambit online the earliest?Suunto Ambit is available globally at selected outdoor and sport retailers. It is also available via the suunto.com webshop.
Can the Suunto Ambit connect to my computer via the wireless USB Dongle (Suunto Movestick Mini) or am I stuck using a cable? ThanksThe Suunto Ambit is not compatible with the Movestick Mini. The Ambit comes with a USB cable.
How does the face crystal of the Ambit compare to the crystal on the t3c. I have not been impressed with the crystal on my t3cThe Suunto Ambit display material is mineral crystal glass.
What is the projected release date of the Ambit in Canada or USA?The Ambit will be available in April, please contact your nearest retailer to enquire about specific availability dates:
www.suunto.com/dealer-locator
Can I choose which options I want on the display, such as distance, speed and time on the same time? Is it maximum three options I can have on the display?The Ambit display is fully customizable, a maximum of 3 different options can be displayed at the same time.
When will the Ambit be released
When I last spoke to a Suunto rep. the expected release of the Ambit was March 2012. Now that March has arrived, is there a more specific date? Online retailers are still saying they do not have their orders in yet for sale.

I am very excited to try this new product.
The Ambit will be available for purchase in April, although some retailers countries may receive deliveries earlier than others. Please contact your retailer directly for specific availability information, many of our retailers can also take pre-orders.
Options
So, it is possible to have on the display at the same time the options stopwatch, distans i km and the pace(km/h)...?
To set the heart rate, do I have to press any button, or..?
The Ambit display is fully customizable. You can select which data you wish to appear in the top and middle sections of the display. In the lower part of the display you can select upto 5 different types of data which you can then scroll through using the 'View' button.
Software Update
Thanks for your answers. But they bring me new questions :
- How can we get informed of upcoming software updates and roadmap ?
- Will software updates be Free of charge ?

My T3 is getting old yet it is still very good device. I would be very pleased to replace it via an ambit, especially for its GPS and Alti/Baro features. But i cannot afford loosing timers.

I may buy an ambit and wait for software updates, but only if I get visibility on those updates forecast.

Otherwise, I'll have to consider other products.
The Ambit software updates will be provided free of charge. When you connect your Ambit to Moveslink you will be automatically notified if there is a software update available.
Why GPS receiver is located in the bottom of the sphere and not on the top?.
Presumably the GPS reception would be better if located on the top being more separated from the body.
Due to the position of the wrist while walking or running GPS reception is far superior when the receiver is in the 6 o'clock position.
suunto ambit black, is this watch available to buy now? is it in stock?
The Ambit will be available for purchase in April.
CLOCK and TIME
Does Time of Day Sync with GPS?
The GPS signals provide a very accurate time reference. Can The AMBIT sync with the time signal from the GPS to display an accurate Time of Day? Or is the Time of Day a separate function that is set by the user and independent of GPS time?
Time is a separate function in the Ambit, it cannot be updated via GPS, it can only be set manually.
Can Suunto AMBIT show the time where seconds also are show all the time.
And are time synchronized to GPS time.
Seconds are shown in the main TIME mode in the lower part of the display - the location of the seconds cannot be changed but you can choose whether they are shown or not.

The Ambit does not synchronize time via GPS, the time mist be set manually.
Suunto X10 sychronizes the current time from the satellite signal every time the GPS is activated.
why does Suunto ambit not have this ?
For the Ambit release we have focused on perfecting the core functionality.
The Ambit is our first user updateable product and we will be adding new features in future software updates. Customer feedback will of course be taken into account when develping new software versions.
SW COMPATIBILITY & MOVESCOUNT
Is Ambit compatible with Macs?Yes, you can attach the device to any USB compatible PC or Mac for charging. Moveslink software that you need for connecting your Ambit to Movescount.com online service is both PC and Mac compatible.
Will the Suunto Ambit work with a Mac?You can attach the Ambit to any USB compatible PC or Mac for charging. Moveslink software that you need for connecting your Ambit to Movescount.com online service is both PC and Mac compatible.
Is Ambit compatible with Google Earth 3D and digital maps?Tracks made by Ambit can be exported from Movescount in KML/GPX format, which in turn can be imported to Google Earth or any other digital map software (that support kml/gpx format) . This functionality will be available on spring 2012. Direct integration to e.g. Google Earth (by pressing a button) will not be available in the foreseeable future.
Will the Ambit work with ATHLETE software
Can ATHLETE either read directly from the watch, or read exported files from Movescount?
The Ambit is compatible with Movescount.
Why should I use Movescount.com with Ambit?For enhanced usability part of Ambit settings are available only in Movescount. In addition, you can easily create waypoints in Movescount using googlemaps. Furthermore, you can customize the sport modes you want to use in Movescount where the customization is much easier to do.
Is Ambit compatible with Firstbeat Athlete software?
Does Ambit work together with Firstbeat technologies softwares, like T6?
I´m intrested Firstbeat Athlete real time analysis possibilities.
The Ambit is compatible with Movescount.
HEART RATE BELTS
Which heart rate belts does my Ambit work with?Suunto Ambit is designed to support the new Suunto ANT HR belt.
Does Ambit come with Heart Rate belt?You can buy Ambit with or without HR belt.
When ANT Comfort Belt will be available separately from AMBIT?The Suunto ANT Comfort Belt can be purchased separately.
what's the SUUNTO ANT COMFORT BELTOriginal
It's the new heart rate belt that is compatible with the Ambit.

Updated Mar 15
The new Suunto ANT Belt differs from the Dual Belt in that the Dual Belt is also compatible with selected gym equipment.

The new Suunto ANT HR belt is also compatible with all Suunto ANT products.
Is Suunto Ambit compatible with Suunto Memory belt?
If I already own a suunto memory belt, do I still need to get the heart rate monitor with the ambit?
Original:
The Ambit is not compatible with the Memory Belt, only with the new Suunto ANT HR belt.

Updated Mar15
The Suunto Ambit has been designed to work with the new Suunto ANT Belt which differs from the Dual Belt in that the Dual Belt is compatible with selected gym equipment. Ambit has now also been tested with the Dual Belt so if you already own a Dual Belt or want to use it instead of the Suunto ANT Belt you may do so.

Older ANT belts such as the Memory belt are not compatible.
is the suunto ant comfort belt connected with suunto ambit wireless?Yes the heart rate belt will transfer the heart rate signal to the Ambit using ANT signal. It is wireless.
And the HR-belt of my T3C is compatible with the Ambit HR-belt ? thanksThe Suunto Dual Belt is not compatible but the new Suunto ANT HR Belt.
New Ambit ANT Comfort Belt compatibility with T6
I understand that only the 'new ANT comfort belt" is compatible with the AMBIT. And not the Dual or Memory belt.
Is the ANT Comfort belt that comes with an Ambit compatible with the T6 or other Suunto ANT HR watches?
Original Q&A answer:
The new Suunto ANT comfort belt will not be compatible with the t6 or other Suunto ANT heart rate monitors.

Revised Q&A answer (Mar13):

The new Suunto ANT HR belt is also compatible with the Suunto t6/t6c/t6d.

Updated Mar15
The Suunto Ambit has been designed to work with the new Suunto ANT Belt which differs from the Dual Belt in that the Dual Belt is compatible with selected gym equipment. Ambit has now also been tested with the Dual Belt so if you already own a Dual Belt or want to use it instead of the Suunto ANT Belt you may do so.

The new Suunto ANT HR belt is also compatible with the t6/t6c and t6d.
Is Ambit compatible with DUAL Comfort Belt from T3d?Original:
The Suunto Ambit is not compatible with the Dual Belt. It is compatible with the new Suunto ANT Belt.

Update Mar16
Is the ambit compatible with the dual comfort belt?Original:
The Suunto Ambit is not compatible with the Dual Belt, only with the new Suunto ANT Belt.

Update Mar16
The Suunto Ambit has been designed to work with the new Suunto ANT Belt which differs from the Dual Belt in that the Dual Belt is compatible with selected gym equipment. Ambit has now also been tested with the Dual Belt so if you already own a Dual Belt or want to use it instead of the Suunto ANT Belt you may do so.The Suunto Ambit is not compatible with the Dual Belt, only with the new Suunto ANT Belt.
HR belts compatible with the Ambit
Is the dual comfort belt compatible with the ambit? Is the comfort belt sold with the Ambit compatible with the T6c/d?
Original:
The Suunto Ambit has been designed to work with the new Suunto ANT belt which differs significantly from the Dual Belt. While the Ambit can receive a signal from the Dual Belt we do not recommend using these products together as doing so may result in incorrect heart rate, consumed calories, Peak Training Effect or recovery time.

Updated Mar16

NAVIGATION & COMPASS
What is a 3D compass?3D compass is a compass unique to Suunto that will show accurate readings also when the compass is tilted. Hence, you don’t need to keep the compass on level to get steady readings.
In the new Ambit, is it possible to create a new waypoint by using only the watch? (without connecting the watch to movescount, just like in the X10).Yes, it's possible to create a waypoint in the Ambit from your current location. You can also create waypoints in Movescount by selecting them on a digital map or inserting the coordinates. Waypoints in the device and in Movescount are always synced when you connect your Ambit to Movescount.
Does it have the military mrgrs gps settingYou can select the format from the following grids:
● latitude/longitude
● UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator)
● MGRS (Military Grid Reference System)
The coordinates can apear in other cordinate system except WGS 84? Can i change the datum setup etc or it is fixed in WGSAt the moment it's not possible to change the datum in the Ambit. In the later software updates different datums will be available and a list will be available via Movescount.
Can the Ambit trace back along a track?
Can the Ambit provide direction to follow back along a recorded track? (e.g. Find back, or Track back to start?)
The Suunto Ambit doesn't have a track back feature.
Is it possible to upload a track shared on the net on the watch and navigate based on it?
As a trail runner, an important use case for me is to get a GPX/KML file from the web site of a trail running event, and manage 1) to upload it on Suunto Ambit and 2) using it for navigating.
It is possible through two operations via Movescount (import into a Movescount a GPX/KML file as a move + export a move to the watch), that would be fine. Or without Movescount? Is is possible, whatever the way?
It's not possible to navigate a track in the first version of the Suunto Ambit.
BATTERY LIFE & CHARGING
When using the GPS and heart rate monitor on the Ambit, what is the spec'd battery life before recharge is required?The duration of the battery depends on how the device is used. If the device is taking GPS fix each second then battery lasts at least 15 hours whereas if the device is taking GPS fix once every 60 seconds the battery duration is 50 hours. If you use only the altimeter, barometer, compass and time functions then the battery lasts 30 days.
Battery life with GPS off / is battery replaceable?
I saw that the battery life should be roughly 50 hours with the GPS enabled. How long should the battery last when the GPS is off?
The duration of the battery depends on how the device is used. If the device is taking GPS fix each second then battery lasts at least 15 hours whereas if the device is taking GPS fix once every 60 seconds the battery duration is 50 hours. If you use only the altimeter, barometer, compass and time functions then the battery lasts 30 days.
Also, since rechargeable batteries will hold less & less charge as they age, is the battery replaceable?The battery can be replaced at the service center.
With the Ambit what is the expected battery lifeThe duration of the battery depends on how the device is used. If the device is taking GPS fix each second then battery lasts at least 15 hours whereas if the device is taking GPS fix once every 60 seconds the battery duration is 50 hours. If you use only the altimeter, barometer, compass and time functions then the battery lasts 30 days.
Suunto Ambit - How long does each battery charge lasts?
How long will it work in a multi-day trek in the wild, without electricity supply?
The duration of the battery depends on how the device is used. If the device is taking GPS fix each second then battery lasts at least 15 hours whereas if the device is taking GPS fix once every 60 seconds the battery duration is 50 hours. If you use only the altimeter, barometer, compass and time functions then the battery lasts 30 days.
How can it be charged, computer, wall charger, solar?The unit can be charged by either attaching it with the USB-cable to PC or by charging the unit with USB-compatible wall charger.
What charger is included?The USB-cable comes in the device package whereas the charger is available as separate accessory.
Ambit: will I be able to use in exercise mode with HR only (no GPS) to maximize battery life?Yes you can.
What is the battery life expectation with various modes on or offThe duration of the battery depends on how the device is used. If the device is taking GPS fix each second then battery lasts at least 15 hours whereas if the device is taking GPS fix once every 60 seconds the battery duration is 50 hours. If you use only the altimeter, barometer, compass and time functions then the battery lasts 30 days.
Can GPS be turned on/off during an exercise recording?
Will I be able to switch GPS on/off on the fly?
GPS cannot be turned on and off during exercise.
For how log does battery lasts when GPS is on use and when it is offThe duration of the battery depends on how the device is used. If the device is taking GPS fix each second then battery lasts at least 15 hours whereas if the device is taking GPS fix once every 60 seconds the battery duration is 50 hours. If you use only the altimeter, barometer, compass and time functions then the battery lasts 30 days.
FUSEDSPEED
Is the Suunto Ambit's FusedSpeed advanced training functions applicable to Sea Kayakiing?Fused speed combines GPS speed and wrist acceleration based speed. Wrist acceleration based speed is calculated from the hand movement and is sports mode dependent. At the moment wrist acceleration speed supports only running and walking sports modes. Therefore, the wrist acceleration based speed is not valid in other sports modes.
Calibration
In your response to an earler question, you state that, "Wrist acceleration based speed is calculated from the hand movement and is sports mode dependent. At the moment wrist acceleration speed supports only running and walking sports modes."
With that in mind, is it possible, from the menu, to calibrate the FusedSpeed setting?
No it's not possible to calibrate the FusedSpeed settings.
Fusedspeed Technology Explanation
With the fusedspeed technology built into the watch, does this mean that the Ambit will atempt to record distance when used on a treadmill and have some degree of accuracy?
Fused speed is a unique combination of GPS and acceleration sensor readings for more accurate running speed. The GPS signal is adaptively filtered based on acceleration, giving a more accurate reading at steady running speeds and a quicker response to changes in speed. Fused speed is meant for running and walking, not for other types of sports. It's an aid to the GPS signal and cannot be used without a GPS signal.
PODS and ANT
Will it be compatible with mobile devices which have ANT+ technology (for example.: SE xperia active)?ANT is not compatible with ANT+.
Ambit compatible with cadence pod
Hi, can you tell me if the Ambit is compatible with the suunto cadence pod ?
The Ambit is compatible with the Cadence POD.
Ambit:Ant or Ant+?
Is this watch using Suunto's own proprietary Ant implementation or is it Ant+ combatible. For example are HR-belts from other manufacturer compatible with this model?
Ambit uses ANT, which is not compatible with ANT+.
Other manufacturer's belts are not compatible.
Does Ambit display running cadence when paired with the foot pod?The Ambit is not compatible with the Foot POD.
Does the Ambit watch support ANT+
Will the new Ambit support ANT+ devices such as cadence or power meters etc?The Ambit does not support ANT+.
Per the spec sheet, Ambit is compatible with PODs. Which PODs work with Ambit? Is Foot POD compatability planned as a firmware update?The Ambit is compatible with Suunto Bike POD, Suunto ANT HR belt and Cadence POD. At launch the Foot POD will not be compatible, although it's possible that we will add the compatibility in the future.
Can I engage use of the bike pod for an exercise recording after I've already started the stopwatch?
Is the watch compatible with the running pod to be used on a treadmill?The Ambit is not compatible with the Suunto Foot POD.
Compatible with the road bike POD?
Anni mentioned Ambit will be compatible with the bike POD. I assume this also includes the "ROAD" Bike POD, right? Thanks!
The Ambit is compatible with both the Bike POD and the Road Bike POD.
It would be great if it could be paired to foot pod mini!!!!
TRAINING FUNCTIONS
Is there any functionality available with the t6 that is not available with Ambit?There are some differences between the t6d and the Ambit. E.g. countdown timer, real-time TE, real-time EPOC are not available in the Ambit.
Can you do customized intervalls? For example run for 1 km rest for 2 min?Intervals are time-based but laps can be made based on distance or time.
Are the training fields customizable? Can the Ambit show Pace instead of Speed?The displays are customizable and pace is one of the options you can have on the display.
Do I get all the physiological parameters and analysis that Suunto t6 has also with Ambit?Yes, beat to beat HR data is available from Ambit and respective HR analysis can be done in Movescount.com just like with t6.
Can the Ambit show Training Effect?
Can the Ambit be customized to show achieved TE?
The Ambit can show Peak Training Effect, please see the video below for more details:
Suunto Training parametres - YouTube
Ambit; Real time TE
In the technical specs. it states real time TE is available. In a previously answered question it states not available.
Which is the correct answer?
The Ambit can show Peak Training Effect, please see the video at the link below for more information:
Suunto Training parametres - YouTube
Does the SUUNTO AMBIT have a Stopwatch?
Hi. The Specifications page doesn't mention this. Does the SUUNTO AMBIT have a stopwatch or timer that allows the user to accuratley time trail runs/rides and other activities etc?
The stopwatch is available in the exercise mode.
Will the Suunto Ambit be able to show EPOC and VO2 in movescount?Yes, EPOC and VO2 can be shown in Movescount for Ambit Moves which include HR data.
Interval training with suunto ambit
I was wondering if it will be possible to create an interval session in movescount and download it to the suunto ambit?
Also will it be possibel to export data from movescount for analysis in other software like sporttracks?
It's not possible to upload the training program into the Ambit.
You can export data into .xls format from Movescount.
Can the data on the Ambit be used to calculate respiratory rate, and EPOC like on the T6?You can see EPOC when you transfer your Ambit move to Movescount.
You said earlier That ambit has no countdown timers, but does it have interval timers for instance like the t3 ones ? Would you please give more détails about chronometers on ambit ?The Ambit does not have interval or countdown timers although future updates will be done partly based on customer feedback so it is possible that these features could be added at a later date.
1) Does Ambit have Autopause function while used in training with GPS or Bike pod?
2) As stated in the PTE video, PTE is based on user Activity Level. By who is the activity level is calculated? By Ambit after manual set in the unit and training history (like T series) or by Movescount?
3) How many trainings could be stored and viewed in Ambit memory? I mean with T3 it could be maximum 15 trainings. Will I be able to save for instance 7 trainings lasting 2 hours with full GPS usage during training? (It means to be able to use a train with Ambit for one week without PC)
4) What about Laps? Is there any limit on number of Laps? For instance for T3 it is 50 laps max per one training.
The Ambit does not have an autopause feature.

Activity Level can be set in Movescount.

There is no maximum amount of logs which can be recorded as the amount depends on the log duration. With GPS (1 second’s fix interval), alti-baro and HR recording activated you can store approximately 15 hours of data. The Ambit has a circular memory so when the memory becomes full the Ambit will start to overwrite the log.

The amount of laps which can be recorded depends only on the available memory. The theoretical limit for the amount of laps in 1 log is 65000.
Is it possible to create a workout based on pace/time/intervals and upload it to Suunto Ambit?It is not possible to upload a workout to the Ambit, although you can set certain training features such as HR limits and a distance based autolap.
what do you mean by "calories in real time"?Calories in real time means that the current calorie consumption for the activity you are performing can be seen on the display and is regularly (real time).
Intervals or not?
First you say:
Intervals are time-based but laps can be made based on distance or time.
1 week ago

and then you say:
The Ambit does not have interval or countdown timers although future updates will be done partly based on customer feedback so it is possible that these features could be added at a later date.
19 hours ago

Which one is it? It is pretty incredible if you don't a least have a simple time-based interval function on a watch that is partly aimed at trail-runners and at a very high price. I like the ambit but this is a dealbreaker for me and need an correct answer before I decide to buy one
The Ambit does not have interval, countdown or warmup timers.

In the Ambit when recording a log you have the possibility to record laps either manually or by using the autolap feature which records laps automatically based on a preset distance.
SWIMMING & MULTISPORTS
Will I be able to track HRM and GPS while swimming? Please do not reject this question...it's simple.The Ambit will not track heart rate or speed/distance in water. Swimmers can use it as a stopwatch.
I'm thinking about using this for triathlon and I'm trying to figure out how I can record different segments. I would push the lap button in between events to get times for each segment:
SWIM: Start stopwatch only
T1: turn on HRM
BIKE: use HRM and bike POD (to conserve battery)
T2:
RUN: HRM and switch to GPS
Is this possible without stopping the stopwatch recording between segments?
If you want to record only one log, you will need to use only one sport mode. Within that one sport mode the HR is either on or off for the whole duration of the recording. Also the GPS is either on or off throughout the whole recording.
So what you are suggesting to do is only possible if you stop the log, change the sport mode in use and create 1 mode for each segment of the triathlon exercise.
Does the AMBIT have a Depth Meter?
With the increased water resistance of the AMBIT compared to the CORE which has a depth meter, I was wondering if the AMBIT also had one.
The Ambit does not have a depth meter.
Can the Ambit count the strokes when swimming?
Using the accelerometer, could the current Ambit or other releases work as a stroke counter for swimming? could it also be used for counting running cadence?
The accelerometer in the Ambit is currently not able to provide stroke or cadence information, although all feedback is taken into consideration when developing future updates.
MEMORY CAPACITY
What is memory capacity of Suunto Ambit?
The maximum length of a log in Ambit is 16 hours. This means that you are logging GPS, HR, altitude, air pressure and other relevant data with 1 seconds interval. If the recording interval is longer (for GPS data it can be 60 seconds and for other data it can be 10 seconds) the length of the log is also longer.
How many trainings I can safe on Suunto Ambit ( HR )
How many training sessions I can safe on the watch before the memory is full. Let's say I'm on a trail for 14 days and can reload the batterie but has no chance to safe my data on movescout.
For the batterie life, can I select different GPS signal frequency?
The maximum length of a log in Ambit is 16 hours. This means that you are logging GPS, HR, altitude, air pressure and other relevant data with 1 seconds interval. If the recording interval is longer (for GPS data it can be 60 seconds and for other data it can be 10 seconds) the length of the log is also longer.
BAROMETER, WEATHER, ELEVATION
Will Ambit have storm warnings in a future update?
Having a barometer and being able to track weather changes, will the Ambit get a storm alarm in a future update?
We do plan to add some additional features to the Ambit but the feature list is not yet finalized, more information will be available later this year. All feedback is taken into consideration when developing future updates.
Alti calibration
Isn't the Ambit capable of using the built-in GPS receiver to set correct (height above sea level) altitude automatically?
GPS cannot be used to measure altitude in the Ambit although it is possible that this feature could be added in a future update.
THE MOTHER OF ALL QUESTIONS
1) What datums does the GPS support
2) How many tracklogs can the unit store?
3) How many waypoints per tracklog?
4) Can tracklog recording interval be set by time or distance?
5) How many routes can the unit store
6) How many points per route?
7) Can routes be created in your software or only in the watch itself?
8) Does the unit display Course, Heading and Bearing to a waypoint?
9) Does the unit indicate accuracy of location?
10) Can the user configure GPS information displayed on the watch?
11) What is the max/min temperature the watch will display?
12) Is the temperature displayed affected by body temperature?
13) Can the declination setting be turned of to display a magnetic heading?
Co-ordinate systems the Ambit supports are UTM, MGRS and Lat/long. Latitude/longitude is the most commonly used grid and has three different formats:
○ Hdd.ddddd°: degrees and decimal degrees
○ Hdd°mm.mmm’: degrees, minutes and decimal minutes
○ Hdd°mm’ss.s”: degrees, minutes, seconds and decimal seconds.
The amount of logs (including a track and other data that is measured) Ambit can store depends completely on the length (duration) of each log. The memory is circular and overwrites on top of previous log if it runs out of capacity and you haven’t uploaded the logs to Movescount.
The log is always recorded starting from when the user presses Start and stopping when the user presses Stop. So it runs based on time.
The display can be configured by the user in Movescount.
Routes cannot be added via Movescount in the first version of the Ambit although this is a feature we are considering for a future version of the Ambit.
The accuracy of location is not provided in the first release of the Ambit.

These answers reflect the first version release of the Ambit, the software in the Ambit can be updated in Movescount. We plan to release a new version of the Ambit software in summer 2012 which will enable many new features and functionalities.

·
Registered
14 Posts

cheers
Reason:
Currently undergoing rehabilitation after an accident and biggest part of the rehab is on a treadmill. Once fully recovered the watch will have its uses outdoors too.
However, for some people who are limited to jogging on a treadmill but walking at length outdoors - the watch is vitally missing the ability to be used in conjunction with a foot pod!
For people who are physically impaired, on a temporary basis (as the watch is advertised for explorers) - I hope they do make it compatible for use with a footpod!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Reason:
Currently undergoing rehabilitation after an accident and biggest part of the rehab is on a treadmill. Once fully recovered the watch will have its uses outdoors too.
However, for some people who are limited to jogging on a treadmill but walking at length outdoors - the watch is vitally missing the ability to be used in conjunction with a foot pod!
For people who are physically impaired, on a temporary basis (as the watch is advertised for explorers) - I hope they do make it compatible for use with a footpod!
Umm... Isn't this why it has an accelerometer in it? That's why they got rid of the foot pod, kind of makes it redundant?

Just my thought,

Buzz

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
@buzz819,

My thoughts exactly too. The accelerometer is a great alternative for a foot pod, depending of course how carefully it was incorporated. Furthermore, I can see that a GPS receiver might not work anywhere (though I never had any problems with my Garmin Forerunner) but I don't get why anyone would need a foot pod (or accelerometer for that matter) on a treadmill, where all relevant data is available anyway....:think:

cheers

·
Registered
771 Posts
The accelerometer in the Ambit could be used for a few more things (and may well be), but is mainly there for the FusedSpeed. I.e., it works *together* with the GPS to, very simply put, tell the system whether a movement it seems to detect is really a movement, or just an error resulting from a shift in GPS signal.
(When I left my X9 outside in one spot for an hour, it later told me it had moved a hundred meters or so - just because of GPS signal quality. That should not happen with the Ambit anymore, and it will also react much more quickly to changes in speed/pace, etc.)

The accelerometer in the Ambit alone is *not* measuring speed, distance, or any such thing, though.

Secondly, as to how you could have Jonathan Wyatt say such a thing: It wasn't just Wyatt. There have been miscommunications about both HR belt compatibility and PODs. ... Actually, though, they seem to have been changes in specs which became wanted or necessary only after initial announcements, so that it's simply something that was planned otherwise, with the changes not known by all, yet.

Methinks the BikePOD was given priority because runner-explorers would probably want to use the GPS on their outings, and get a well-functioning FusedSpeed (plus tracks and speed/distance) that way. For biking, much easier to just use BikePOD.

Remember that the Ambit's software can be updated via Movescount connection... So, I fully expect that the FoodPOD compatibility will be added this summer. (Not that there weren't bad surprises sometimes, but Suunto know what they are doing - except sometimes the communications people, it seems - and are using their tools themselves. There just simply aren't so many employees there, and -thus- things take time...)

As to "why would you want a FootPOD on a treadmill?": Because then, the data is recorded by the watch, erm: sports instrument, and uploaded to Movescount, so that you have a full record of your workout there (without having to enter some of the data manually, if you can even do that).

281 - 300 of 462 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.