WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just opened up my Suunto Core and I love it :-!

Its big and mean - but very comfortable.
This is something that bugs me about my pro trek, even on a zulu strap its not very comfy

Its screen is very clear and not as reflective as the casio

The menus are great and it was easy to set up. In fact I really like the software, it just works the way you want. It makes sense.

Running software: 1.1.0 ( I hope this is the new one)
Serial : 911xxxxx

All images are clickable:

In fact Im tempted to sell on the protrek - there very similar watches and I like the look of both but I dont see my Casio getting the wrist time over the Suunto. The gold detail on the Casio gives it a nice look but maybe not as military as it likes to think it is.

I didnt think I could purchase any other watches after buying solar + atomic as these are such great functions and any watch without was a poor mans casio but now...well I reckon I'll be buying another Suunto in the future and stick with the G-Shocks for other functions

·
Registered
505 Posts
Congrats, the Core looks very cool.

The display looks really clear and uncluttered compared to the Protrek.

The solar/atomic was always something I thought I couldnt do without - I hate the thought of changing batteries too often.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, the Core looks very cool.

The display looks really clear and uncluttered compared to the Protrek.

The solar/atomic was always something I thought I couldnt do without - I hate the thought of changing batteries too often.
Thanks - well only time will tell if Im gonna have to change the battery to often (and if im happy about that factor)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jimmy1: both ABCs look terrific, especially with the negative displays.

Which one has the most easily readible (legible) readout?

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Cheers from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Tim

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Which one has the most easily readible (legible) readout?

Thanks

id say there both as good as each other - but the Pro-trek has a very reflective screen. This doesnt effect its readability but it does always catch the light (making it a pain to photograph)

My decision was made this afternoon - I put my protrek on ebay and sold it within hrs! :-! Sold for what I paid but I have noticed that the internet price is increasing slowly.
I wouldn't have sold it if I didnt already own the GWM-56001ER G-Shock (which is solar powered and atomic)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I love the accuracy of the Suunto Core, ABC functions are unquestionable, for me though I find the timing functions to be too basic for my needs, and it is a pity the way that Suunto has implemented the Chrono & CDT etc, being displayed on small secondary segments of the screen, making them difficult to view at a glance. Although I do recognize this is part of the makeup of the marque.

Comfort level I find the Core to be better, that`s due the Casio`s strap being either to tight or too loose, a "Zulu" will solve that. The Protreks have the edge on durability, with Casio utilizing a lot of it`s "G-Shock" experience

Batteries, you will need to carry a couple of spares (don`t assume a new battery is always good) for the Core, however if the cell fails in the Casio, it will be down, with "Tough Solar" it`s always best to buy the watch a few weeks prior to needing it for field use to ensure the charging system is good, "Tough Solar" is very reliable and few fail.

The storm alarm is a feature that every ABC should have. As for the military look, negative display`s are pretty much useless for that application, having a much lower contrast level than a positive display, subsequently low-light readability is far poorer, and they should be avoided by members of the security services.

Both great watches, one more focused on instrumentation, the other a more sophisticated timing device, with ABC functionality.

Q-6

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Does the Core display the time only in that small window on top? Or is there a big time display mode like the Altis?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Does the Core display the time only in that small window on top? Or is there a big time display mode like the Altis?
Just as you see it, Suunto`s generally have three display areas upper, middle (larger) and bottom the Cores display is fully dot matrix.

Q-6

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just as you see it, Suunto`s generally have three display areas upper, middle (larger) and bottom the Cores display is fully dot matrix.

Q-6
So the big display in the middle is only for baro/alti?

Interesting.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I love the accuracy of the Suunto Core, ABC functions are unquestionable, for me though I find the timing functions to be too basic for my needs, and it is a pity the way that Suunto has implemented the Chrono & CDT etc, being displayed on small secondary segments of the screen, making them difficult to view at a glance. Although I do recognize this is part of the makeup of the marque.

Comfort level I find the Core to be better, that`s due the Casio`s strap being either to tight or too loose, a "Zulu" will solve that. The Protreks have the edge on durability, with Casio utilizing a lot of it`s "G-Shock" experience

Batteries, you will need to carry a couple of spares (don`t assume a new battery is always good) for the Core, however if the cell fails in the Casio, it will be down, with "Tough Solar" it`s always best to buy the watch a few weeks prior to needing it for field use to ensure the charging system is good, "Tough Solar" is very reliable and few fail.

The storm alarm is a feature that every ABC should have. As for the military look, negative display`s are pretty much useless for that application, having a much lower contrast level than a positive display, subsequently low-light readability is far poorer, and they should be avoided by members of the security services.

Both great watches, one more focused on instrumentation, the other a more sophisticated timing device, with ABC functionality.

Q-6
Queen6 I think that Suunto for the new 09 models now ship the Core with high quality Energizer batteries so it should last atleast 10-12 months...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Queen6 I think that Suunto for the new 09 models now ship the Core with high quality Energizer batteries so it should last atleast 10-12 months...
Joakim,
Thanks I don`t see the replaceable cell as being a major issue, as for Casio`s "Tough Solar", I do like this technology and Casio are definitely the market leader. Solar power in the Protrek`s/Pathfinder`s is very much a double edged sword, yes it negates the concerns of running out of power and needing to open up the watch in field conditions to replace the battery etc. On the other hand the charging system can and does generate significant heat, those whom own "Tough Solars" I am sure have experienced this at first hand. The quandary lies here, as even Caso stipulates that "sudden temperature change can affect the pressure sensor" and that rather creates a paradox, does it not ? I do question why Casio have taken this route, when all other serious manufacturers of ABC`s choose replaceable batteries; Casio are either way ahead or it`s market differentiation :think:

Q-6

·
Registered
304 Posts
I find the Casio ABC debate fascinating. I truly wanted a Casio PAW-1300-7v, the solar option being a main draw. Not so sure now, sounds like the solar works but there are caveats to consider.

I LOVE the Suunto Core, but 10-12 month battery life (and that is using high quality batteries?) ??? wow, personally I think that's horrible.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
simplify - it you can afford both, own both.

Great watches that have there similarities and differences.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I find the Casio ABC debate fascinating. I truly wanted a Casio PAW-1300-7v, the solar option being a main draw. Not so sure now, sounds like the solar works but there are caveats to consider.

I LOVE the Suunto Core, but 10-12 month battery life (and that is using high quality batteries?) ??? wow, personally I think that's horrible.
With the present variation of ABC watches available on the market , it`s really about seeking a balance between what your activities are, and what you are going to use it for, versus what the watch is capable of doing, like it or not, you will probably need to make compromises.

This very much polarizes the debates batteries versus Solar, resolution versus ease of use, advanced technology versus stagnating, the list is endless. The key is understanding the watches positive & negative aspects you can then get the very best from it;

Casio PAW-1300 - PRG-110
I have two; one PRW-1300-1VER and the non "Atomic" PRG-110Y-1VER (negative display), the negative display of the PRW-1300Y-1VDR is not as readable in all lighting conditions as the standard PRW-1300-1VER, although it it is one of the newer high contrast negative displays on the market, however be mindful that the stock pictures are designed to show the best of the watches display, don`t buy into the "military stealth" thing, if you work in low light conditions it may be a problem, if are are in the military look for the PRW-1300-3V (dark green) positive display version.

Conclusion; Casio`s best all rounder, with one of the most comprehensive specifications only lacks thermal compensation, or does it ? given the new PRG-110Y`s performance. if you need any more than the PRW-1300 offers you will need to look at other marque`s. I sometimes have a little concern regarding durability, although I have only ever read of one watch having an issue, it certainly wont take the punishment a Casio PRG-80 will, then again it`s far smaller, definitely not fragile. If all new PRW-1300 & PRG 110 are as accurate as my PRG-110Y-1VDR, then they are a very respectable ABC, only wanting barometric locks & 1m (3ft) resolution, which you will not see in this smaller form factor.

Want to read more Links:
Are Protrek`s Accurate #1
Are Protrek`s Accurate #2

PRG-80YT Strap Conversion

Q-6

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have also both of them and I have to admit that the Core is getting all the wrist time lately.
I love the features that the Core has and how they are displayed. For me it's a masterpiece.
It's just a shame the battery issue. I hope that in the future Suunto adds in their watches the solar power technology.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
It's just a shame the battery issue. I hope that in the future Suunto adds in their watches the solar power technology.
trust me, you DON'T WANT suunto go solar. if they ever do it is most likely that el-backlight duration is downgraded to 1.5 seconds just like casio does. it is also likely that the watch will run out of juice (if not exposed permanently to a light source/dayligh) all of a sudden due to the high-power, current-sucking functions.

a CR2032 3volt lithium battery is a truly small power plant. in other watches it would last easily 10 years or even longer, so you can imagine how much power is needed to keep a watch like the core fully functional for only 12 month.

as much as i like solar powered watches, in an ABC watch a replaceable lithium cell with an easy to access hatch is right now the only true way to go, until some day solar watches/accumulators with - at least - the capacity of a CR2032 battery will hit the market.

regards, holger

1 - 20 of 25 Posts