WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Firstly, this is my first post. I generally "lurk" around a lot and only register / join a forum when I have a question to ask or something to say.
This seems a great forum, and helped me decide to finally send my Suunto for repair. Although I knew it was well outside of warranty, I had heard good things about their level of service.

My watch is a rather old (but immaculately kept) X6HRM. The watch has never been dropped or subjected to rain etc.
In a few months, I am going to be treking in Nepal, and a log of my trip on the X6 would be a great thing to have, along with the comfort that the compass and weather warning would give (and proof of the summit ;-))

The problem is that the watch suffers from the well known "freeze" problem. As it's been occasional until now it didnt really bother me. Going to Nepal for 3 weeks is a different ball game though, and I dont want an unreliable timepiece.
So I thought I might as well send it to Suunto for €30 and get the software updated. That should be all it is - right? - WRONG

Sending the watch couldnt be easier, and to their credit, DHL are the best courier I have ever used.
However, once the estimate came came back, I began to see a different side to Suunto. They were unable / unwilling to provide any details other than to say the watch needed new internals which would cost me €190

I perfectly understand that the watch is very old, and many budget retailers dont support products this well. It's not all bad, the returns process is pretty good (apart from the website being down for a week, and the only options being accept or reject).

However, it's unrealistic to quote nearly the price I can get a Suunto Core for, just to replace the innards of an old X6.
If this had been explained at the start (maybe something like - "all we can do for the X6 is replace the innards for €190" then maybe we could have all saved some time, effort (and money).
DHL (as efficient as always) have now returned the X6 to me today. I was unhappy at shelling out €38 just to send my watch on a trip, but maybe I can live with the occasional reset.

But no, wait, the returned watch is now completely dead.o|
Before I had something that was an inconvenience. Now I have something that's only fit for the bin.

Anyone else had a similar experience or can suggest how to handle it?

I'm annoyed, but will Suunto do more than offer me a replacement X6 for €190? At that price I could get a Core or even a used X9 or X10 if I am lucky.

Any advice greatfully received, and for anyone thinking of sending a service item to Suunto, be warned, it might not be as good an experience as others say it is.

·
Registered
Suunto 9 Baro
3,052 Posts
Contact again with Suunto and explain the situation. Let's see what they say...
From my personal experience, I have only good words about Suunto's customer service. I think that they are a brand that actually care about their customers.
In Spain we say "hablando se entiende la gente" (translation: if we explain your reasons and argue about it, the other part may understand you. More or less), so maybe they give you a good solution to your problem.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Check the battery, and make sure that they did not just forget to put a new one in. Typically, when they decide that a watch cannot be repaired, they make an offer to replace it at a reduced cost. But yes, your watch is WAaay out of warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts