WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought you guys might enjoy this. :)

See high rez pictures here!
http://picasaweb.google.com/gafortiby/SuuntoVector?authkey=Gv1sRgCKO5pqO-np2xuQE#

(By the way, this is a fully working vector. But I didn't know that when I disassembled it! :-d It's okay, it's working just fine. :-!)

The unit pictured below has since been re-assembled. It remains 100% functional. It has been dunked in water, etc and it works perfectly.

I just got a beat up vector in a ebay lot, and felt the urge to dig into its internals. Haven't seen anything like this anywhere, so feedback will be welcome!

*BEGIN INSTRUCTIONS*

I will skip the strap & battery instructions. I'll assume that battery and strap are already removed.

1. start with vector.

2. Remove rotating ring. You can do this with your fingernails.

3. flip it over, you'll see the 4 screws.

4. Remove the 4 screws.

5. Carefully flip it over again.

6. Lift the cover off. It should come off with very little resistance.

Unlike more common watches, the module will NOT lift out of the vector. Certain parts are molded directly to the case bottom, so don't even attempt to pull it straight out!

7. Remove the O-ring, if u feel like it.

8. Go around and carefully push the 4 tabs. Be careful, they are easy to bend or break, and absolutely necessary for your vector to work properly.

9. Once the gray plastic piece is freed from the copper tentacles, it will lift straight out with no resistance.

10. Very carefully pull out the circuit board. Be careful where you put that thing!

11. Remove the two tiny metal pieces that are not secured to the case bottom. The top one is for the battery's negative terminal, and the bottom one is for the alarm.

You're all done! :-! reverse to put it back together. b-)

*Some things I learned from the disassembly*

1. The main sensor is mounted directly on the main circuitboard. It's that little circular thing on the bottom right. It is, for obviously reasons, exposed to the elements.

2. The six tiny holes on the back of the watch opens up to a large circular hole on the inside, where the alti-baro sensor is located. The sensor is made by Intersema.

Here are the specs:
http://www.intersema.ch/products/guide/smd/ms5401/

3. This hole is sealed by a o-ring around the circular sensor mount (compare the two pics below). The sensor is filled with a silicon-based gel that protects it. The manufacturer of the sensor recommends that it not be disturbed, so don't poke it! (Read details in the tech document linked above)

4. There is a huge empty area inside the watch, with a corresponding empty space on the circuit board. Presumably, this space is used for the heart rate monitor's receiver in the Suunto Advisor, which share the case shape with the vector. (Thanks to other members for pointing this out for me!)

5. The button contact plates, which also doubles as the positive terminal, is held into the caseback with plastic tabs that were melted over it at the factory. It is clearly not meant to be removed, and it is the reason why the module will not lift straight out of the case.

6. I don't know where the temperature sensor is... It could be any of those small chips that have 3 or 4 leads.

7. The bearing sensor (compass) is that rectangular black chip on the bottom. It's a Honeywell HMC1022. Here are the specs from the makers! Now we know exactly what the Vector's compass is capable of. :D
http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/hmc1001-2&1021-2.pdf

8. As any watch enthusiast should know, that shiny cylinder on the bottom left corner is the quarts crystal for keeping time.

9. I have asked around, but nobody can tell me what that little white rectangle is for. If you know, please reply to this thread with the answer.

Here are some pics with identifications. :)

Now show me yours! Does anyone want to donate a busted CORE to me so I can post a similar thread? OR perhaps a WORKING Core? :-!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Firstly, great post - I reckon this deserves to be a Sticky. Thanks for all the effort.
Secondly, great find - the orange is really unusual.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Fantastic post!!! Thank you so much! I think there is another like this one on the forum as well... but really nice work!

One quick caveat for all those thinking they may want to try... I think Suunto is pretty picky about individuals voiding their warranties. So if you open a watch, it likely voids the warranty.

That said, if you luck into buying an OLD one like this one! HAVE FUN! Too bad Suunto is not quite as liberal with selling parts as say Casio. :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Good effort! Nice post. |>

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic post!!! Thank you so much! I think there is another like this one on the forum as well... but really nice work!

One quick caveat for all those thinking they may want to try... I think Suunto is pretty picky about individuals voiding their warranties. So if you open a watch, it likely voids the warranty.

That said, if you luck into buying an OLD one like this one! HAVE FUN! Too bad Suunto is not quite as liberal with selling parts as say Casio. :)
Thanks Jeff! :)

About the disassembly, if you do it perfectly (using the right tools and have the right skills), I don't think Suunto will be able to tell if you've opened it up or not. There are no stickers or seals that will tip them off.

However, it would be very very easy to damage the screw tops, misalign the O-ring on re-assembly, scratch some internal parts and/or leave dust inside the case. Sunnto will have no trouble spotting such signs.

Up until the step where you lift out the LCD screen assembly, you should be able to do without leaving any marks. Lifting the LCD screen assembly without any marks will be very difficult. There are small groves on the sides of the LCD screen assembly that look like they will accommodate a special tool that Suunto uses. Without that tool, you have to just grab the sides with a screwdriver or knife, which will leave marks.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Great dissection. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
that empty space is most likely for the HRM on the Advizor and Metron...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were you able to reassemble the Vector and get it working again?Just curious
Yes, the watch was been reassembled and works 100%. :)

It survived dunking in water after the re-assembly, I suspect that I will have no problems swimming with it. Not sure about diving, but I never dive anyway and these are not dive-rated to begin with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With regard to the top case assembly (yellow on yours), which includes the plastic face, does ANYONE know where you can purchase spares of these? I'm ready to buy a BOX of them if I can find them.

I've had my Vector for about 9 months, I LOVE the watch, but I'm very easy on it, nothing heavy-duty. I noticed a crack forming under the bezel and sent it in in October of 2008. Suunto had the watch for 14 days but they did replace the top case assembly (what I've been told that is called by them).

Now I'm noticing small cracks around under the bezel, and minor water exposure or humidity results in drops of water or condensation under the face. It's driving me nuts. Suunto says to send it in again, I really would prefer to wear my watch rather than send it back and forth for service. It's a simple enough repair; 4 screws and pop a new one on, but Suunto is holding onto these spares like mad. Does anyone know of a supplier or service center who wouldn't mind selling them?

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Suunto does not really sell parts.

You could send you Vector in to have it repaired, but they wont sell you just the "bezel". At least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Check out my "coloured Vector parts" thread for the low-down on this one.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Geesh, have some patience. We will sticky it or put it in the FAQ section. We are letting Halfapie make final revisions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yay my first sticky! :thanks

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Great work on the post. And thanks for all the patience from everyone with getting it stuck. Just FYI, here is why we delayed it a bit.

Halfapie and I have been talking in PMs. He wanted to make some adjustments and asked that I wait on sticky-ing the post. Reason being, I also copied the post into our FAQ section. I didn't want Halfapie to have to make all his changes twice....

And you guys think all we mods do is sit around and drink beer... LOL there is method to the madness ... at times.

Great post!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
nice!!!!!! yeah, try asking at retailers for the colored casing...here they offer them at a really eye bugling price..
Great Work on the disassembly of the Vector. My very beat up 2003 Black Vector was having a display problem so I took it apart and adjusted the battery prongs inside the Vector and it now works great except for th altimeter and barometer. I'm getting high readings on both. There was also of debris inside the sensor so I removed it. Any ideas?

Since it is an old Suunto Vector, I don't use it very much anyway. I find the Core more accurate and I like the Auto mode on the Core.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts