WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I stumbled across this forum when I had the first problem with my X10M and it proved to be full of useful advice. This time I have a couple of questions though.

I bought an X10M at the beginning of the year and it was fine for a 3 or 4 months, bezel peeling and other niggles aside. Then the bezel cracked on the top and bottom and I was concerned that it might compromise the water proofing so sent it back. It took over 3 weeks to get returned and came back with the non-coated bezel on it. I have used it for 1.5 charges and now it turns itself off when using the GPS and has to be plugged in to reset itself, sometimes doesn't save tracks that I create and will no longer communicate with my computer. Not ideal!

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I can go into more detail should anyone be interested. My concern is that I have spent a considerable amount of money on something that I can't even rely on to tell the time any more, let alone help me nagivate myself out of trouble. I know Suunto have an excellent repuation with regards to reliability as I wouldn't have bought the watch if they didn't.

Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a quicker turn around from Suunto. I could really do with it back before the weekend of the 8th / 9th!

Thanks in advance guys. :)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Welcome!

I would send the X10 back in again and explain the whole situation as you did above.

There is no way to speed things up, the service dept works as fast as they can, Im sure. Although things may be getting easier for them now that the issues with the Core seem to be worked out.

I doubt your turn around would be that fast... but maybe if you mailed it today and explained you need it back quickly it may help. Who knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Jeff. I'll just have to send it off and see what happens. I enclosed a letter with it last time explaining exactly what my difficulties were and to be fair every one of those was addressed so I'll do the same again.

Thanks again. I'll keep an eye on here. It looks like a useful forum. :)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Did you go through the process of submitting the issue through the warranty repair channels? That may speed things up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went through Suunto's warranty web site the first time. It looked like it was set up to be a very fast service because the courier arrived only a few hours after I submitted the request. The courier was surprised that it was booked on a next day service too. Unfortunately he also said that he sees a lot of Suunto watches going back to be fixed. :-( Obviously I don't know what percentage of users have probems but it didn't bode well from a confidence point of view, which has now be reinforced with my most recent problems.

The issue I have is that I'm going to struggle to trust it as a back up navigation device to get me out of trouble in an emergency. I just don't know whether it will work. Even if I'm out mountain biking all day and recording trails to add to a map and I can't get the trails out of it again it's been a waste because I'll have to do it all again rather than plotting a nice route to follow for next time.

Anyway, I'll get the web site form filled in again and get it sent off. I'll see if I can add somewhere that I'd like it back by the 7th but I won't hold my breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts