WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own any version of the X6HR? Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes. X6HR.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you guys share you experiences with the watch? Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I actually got mine a few weeks before I first saw the orange black core....so I haven't used it much. It has the HR feature which is nice, and the software is cool for tracking/logging on the computer. Once I got my Core I let my 3 year old wear my X6HR for a few days....until she put a nice scratch in the face....which is pretty easily done on that design.

The interface is easy. Nice features. I like the relative light weight and smaller size for long days in the saddle when a bigger/heavier watch (such as an Advizor) would cause my wrists to hurt. Although I don't use it much (well, I use it every day....as an alarm clock), I really like it when I do use it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry I've been away for a few days.

It's nice, I got mine cheap, secondhand on Ebay, so the cost hasn't been an issue for me.
It works well, and the HRM is good if you stay within 2 feet or so from the watch. Having said that, I don't know what state the batteries are in.

The weather and hiking functions seem to work well, and as you manually set it to Alti or Baro, the readings have proved more accurate than my Core (which I leave set to Auto). I suppose if I set the Core to either Alti or Baro manually, then it too would be more accurate.
On the downside, you have to set it to Alti or Baro manually. It's a bit of a pain if I start a hike and forget to switch from Baro to Alti before I set off. Duh! o|

I must say that I was hoping for some sort of training software, and it does indeed have that. However, it seems pretty basic, and the serial connection is very "retro". I can't get over the feeling that the software and indeed the watch design itself is getting a bit long in the tooth when compared to, say, the Training Manager Lite software that comes with the T range.

Still, as an all-rounder it's a fine watch and comfortable too.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Im wondering if the X6HR may be my ultimate watch... Id like to play with one to see how the HR functions compare with the T3

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think if they could combine the two. The X6HR lacks the updated training info and downloads that the T6 has. Also, I bought the T6 because you can use it with pods (I have both the bike and running pods which are amazing and offer an all in one watch). Along with the pc data analysis its pretty cool.

I guess this type of discussion has been brought up before though...? Combine the training software of the T6, some cool factors of the X6HR, CORE, X9i...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that somebody already does!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=11039

I know, I know, it doesn't look half as cool at the Core or whatever, but LOOOK at those specs!

Oh, and it even works with speed and cadence sensors for the bike. Even has wireless upload of data to a PC. It must surely be the ultimate wrist training computer at the moment.

Still not keen on the looks though..........

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ya, cool features, but what's battery life....8 hours tops....lame. Having to recharge the battery that often kicks it out of the running for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ya, cool features, but what's battery life....8 hours tops....lame. Having to recharge the battery that often kicks it out of the running for me.
Indeed, very true. However, that's 8 hours on a training session, it lasts for a couple of weeks in boring watch mode.

Look at it this way, how many hours talktime do you get from a cell phone, vs. standby time? I know, not a true analogy but if we stop thinking about them as watches and start thinking about them as wrist mounted training computers, you get quite a lot for your 8 hours really, and if you stick on it's charger at night, just like your cell phone, it'll be ready for the next day.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
What's the battery life like on the X9i with the GPS on?
IT depends on your refresh rate.. I keep mine on manual, so it only "turns on" and locks when I want it to.. so it lasts a couple of months.

If you keep it on one sec refresh (i.e. it is constantly updating your position) about 4 hours..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read that depending on the refresh rate you get between 4 and 12 hours, unless as you say, you manually refresh.

So that makes the Garmin 405 figure of 8 hours sound not so bad then?

I still don't like the styling much though.
o|

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I read that depending on the refresh rate you get between 4 and 12 hours, unless as you say, you manually refresh.

So that makes the Garmin 405 figure of 8 hours sound not so bad then?

I still don't like the styling much though.
o|
Yeah but it doesn't say the refresh rate..

My point is this Griff... If you like the features of the Garmin, Go for it. if you like the Suunto, stick with that.. I myself prefer the Suunto, I have a lot more control over when and how I use my GPS. I have a lot more customizeable options to choose from in way of how often I update my position. (There is no need to update if I am sitting still)

Garmin makes great products, I love my Handheld GPS.. I am sure that you will love it

Also, and lets face it, the X9 aint the newest of technology, It is due for an update.. Likewise, the X9i is still the same basic technology, just with better reception (and was introduces about three years ago). Battery advancements in the past few years would seem to support a bit longer life.

As for me. I have the most envied watch on this board. I am thrilled. I have had mine for about a year to a year and a half and have loved it. Even with all of the quirks that the watch has (it goes a little loopy when looking for satellite points sometimes), I still wear it everyday. I have worn primarly Suunto watches for about 10 years now, (yep- I had a first gen x-lander).

take care amigo..

Kirby

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ya, not quite so bad. But still, I'm often doing 8+ hour bike rides on the weekends (midnight-ish starts.....to not take too much time away from the wife and kiddies) and I don't like the idea of my 'computer' running out of life in the middle of a ride.

But I guess for your every day routine stuff it would be a good little tool.

I'm with you though, I'm not to keen on the looks of it.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Most envied watch on the board? LOL... ok.

Id like an X9... but most envied?

I smell a poll! LOL...

ok ok... so I REALLY want one.
Actually lately I have been thinking that my ultimate watch may be an X6HR or possibly the T6. I like that sleek styling.

HMMMMMMM...... Again, I want it all in one. X6HRT6CX9I with a bike pod. Oh, and Solar would be cool too LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think I might get flamed...............

I know, I know, this is a Suunto forum. I too love Suunto watches, in fact I'm a relative newcomer here, but I already have a second hand Vector and X6HRM (both great!) and a beautiful Black/Black Core which I am wearing right now. That will never change, but the Garmin is one hell of a tool. And no, I still don't like the styling. But look at the whole package, right from the watch through to their online resources........

http://www8.garmin.com/uk/405/intial.html

There can be no denying that until Suunto release their "killer watch" that this thing is going to be popular. About the only thing it can't do is barometric pressure, but he already have Suuntos' for that, right?
:p

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Most envied watch on the board? LOL... ok.

Id like an X9... but most envied?

I smell a poll! LOL...
I already had one. The one about which suunto would you buy if cash were no object... I think it interesting that the X9 has gotten nearly 30% of all votes..

By the way. I voted for the D9 titanium with transmitter- it cost more than my first car

anyway, I love my X9mi- Jeff, you should get one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts