WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

Just ordered this beauty...

Suunto X9Mi, military model with GPS and a pile of other features. You can actually recharge this watch off of an AC current source. It should be here by the end of the week.

Actually, it's described as a "wrist top computer" but I've been eyeing one for awhile, read all the reviews spoke with several owners, all of whom are in the military. One owner described this watch as being "light years beyond any other digital."

·
5,138 Posts
I like the look of the digital display, but I'm not sure if the op-art surround is for me. Looking forward to the review when you get it.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Very impressive looking gear Mike!
I'd be lost by page 3 of the instructions no doubt...lol.
Congrats and please share your thoughts on receipt!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
I keep wanting a Suunto, probably a Vector, for Scouting. I have a hard time justifying it because I have so many "camping" watches :-d

Nice pickup, congrats Mike!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
472 Posts
How long will the battery last on a charge? Is it a watch approved by the military? What functions does it have? What type of water resistancy does it have?

P.S. It's really cool looking! Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I keep wanting a Suunto, probably a Vector, for Scouting. I have a hard time justifying it because I have so many "camping" watches :-d

Nice pickup, congrats Mike!

Cheers,
Griff
Same boat here. I keep looking at the Vector as well but that is a sweet looking watch!:-!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long will the battery last on a charge? Is it a watch approved by the military? What functions does it have? What type of water resistancy does it have?

P.S. It's really cool looking! Congrats on your purchase!
The watch is not in the NSN and the military doesn't approve individual purchase watches. This model is quite popular, especially in Afghanistan.

Here is a list of features and specs:

The Suunto X9M/i ("Military") is a new version of Suunto's incredible X9i Global Positioning System wristop computer, designed specifically for Military professionals looking for the ultimate field watch. The array of functions offered by Suunto's X9i watches is still there in the X9M/i, but with some added features that make this watch even more valuable to our friends in the Military, both at home and abroad. The X9M/i allows you to plan routes through the field of operations and save them into your watch, which will advise you as to your bearing and the right direction to take to get to your next way point, as well as the way back. Just select the 'find home' feature and your Suunto X9M/i will guide you along the route and provide the distance between your current position and "home".
You can also head out into the field without a preset route, and use your X9M/i to keep track of your position, speed, and distance traveled. It will record your progression, which you can save for later analysis, as well as use as a guide to return to your original position, or anywhere along you're route.With the X9M/i you'll still get all the standard Suunto watch functions,plus GPS with global functionality and digital mapping service, as well as an altimeter, compass, barometer, and thermometer. (For a full listing of the vast array of features for the X9M/i, check the 'features' tap below.)
New Features exclusive to the X9M/i are of particular usefulness to those in the field:
  • 360 Degree Compass
  • 6400 MILS bearing display *
  • Black on Black coloring
  • Red Backlight for safe use at night
*MILS is another way of reading a compass that the military guys use. Instead of zero to 360 degrees like normal compasses, they read from 0 to 6400 mils.

X9M/i

Altimeter
  • Current altitude
  • Resolution 1 m / 3 ft
  • Vertical speed
  • Display range -500 m to 9000 m / -1500 ft to 29500 ft
  • Total ascent /descent and higest/lowest altitude, in recorded logs
  • Altitude alarm function
Barometer
  • Display range 300 to 1100 hPa / 8.90 to 32.40 inHg
  • Graphical display of pressure trends for last 6 hours
  • Stores barometric pressure data for last 7 days / 168 hours
  • Absolute barometric pressure at the current location
  • Barometric pressure at sea level
  • Resolution 1hPa / 0.05 inHg
Thermometer
  • Display range -20°C to +60°C/-5°F to +140°F
  • Stores temp data for last 7 days / 168 hours
  • Resolution 1°C / 1°F
Compass
  • Bearing lock mode (toward a set bearing or a GPS waypoint)
  • Tilt Compensated
  • Simultaneous bearing tracking, altitude or time display with bearing / compass rose
  • Bearing display in degrees and cardinal points
  • Resolution 1°
GPS / Navigation Mode
  • Resolution 1 m / 3 ft
  • 12 channels
  • Integrated loop antenna
  • Programable alarm points
  • Distance from current location to final waypoint
  • Estimated travel time to next waypoint based on current speed
  • Estimated travel time to destination based on current speed
  • Estimated arrival time at final waypoint in route based on current speed
  • Altitude difference between current location and next waypoint
  • Total amount of ascent from the current location to the final waypoint
  • Current speed
  • Heading in degrees
  • Deviation from course (left/right)
  • Track Back function activates navigation along recorded track back to starting location
Memory
  • 50 routes (each route can include up to 50 points)
  • 500 waypoints
  • 25 log files
  • 25 tracks (8000 track points)
"Suunto Trek" PC Software / SuuntoSports.com
  • Adapter: Serial port to Suunto wristtop connection, automatic detection of connection, wristtop automatically enters transfer mode.
  • System Requirements: • Min CPU speed 350 Mhz • 64 MB of RAM • 30 MB available hard-disk space • Microsoft® Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP • Minimum screen resolution: 1024 x 768
  • Tracks: View tracks on a map or a list of track points, edit track-related information, store
  • tracks in folders and upload tracks to SuuntoSports.com.
    [*]Routes: Create, edit and view routes on a map, store routes in folders and upload routes to
    [*]Suunto X9 or SuuntoSports.com.
    [*]My Points: Add, edit and view your own waypoints. You can also download these from
    [*]SuuntoSports.com.
    [*]Settings: Edit the Suunto X9 settings and clear the Suunto X9 memory to make room for new

data.
    [*]Maps: Compatible with digital mapping services worldwide and National Geographic TOPO! in the United States.
    [*]SuuntoSports.com: upload logs, link logs with places they were recorded, compare results, share experiences, organize virtual competitions.
Time
  • 12/24 hour clock
  • Time/date auto-sync option via GPS
  • Dual time display
  • 3 daily alarms
  • Stopwatch with up to 29 split times, 20 hour max
Other Features
  • Red Backlight for safe use at night
  • Water-resistant to 100m / 330ft
  • Size: 2.2 x 2.2 x .67 in. / 56 x 56 x 17 mm, Weight: 76g / 2.68 oz
  • Operating Temperature -20 °C to +60 °C/-5 °F to +140 °F
  • Storage Temperature -30 °C to +60 °C/-22 °F to +140 °F
  • Rechargeable battery (500 charges, factory replaced)
  • Daily sunrise / sunset times
  • Adjustable backlight
  • Adjustable display contrast
  • Mineral crystal glass
  • USB charger and PC connector
Suunto Watch Face Specs(cm) Thickness1.86 Casing Diameter5.2

Click here to download instruction manual. (Adobe Reader required)

National Geographic TOPO! Interactive Maps - State Series
National Geographic Adventure Paper
Suunto Face Protector

·
Registered
397 Posts
How do you get the special 'M' version? The Suunto website only shows the X9i (non-M). Do you have to be in the military to purchase one? Just curious...

thnx

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Thanks for pointing this watch out. Amazing features and it even syncs with the GPS system for time/date!

I loved the comment on the Suunto website about it being nearly perfect - if only it had a pulse meter!

Wonder if it works well for cross country flights? Most of the comments were by Ground-pounders. Interesting about there being poor GPS coverage in many parts of Iraq.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you get the special 'M' version? The Suunto website only shows the X9i (non-M). Do you have to be in the military to purchase one? Just curious...

thnx
Shop around...although many sources are backordered due to the popularity amongst the military.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That is one incredible watch! Probably one of the most advanced I've seen in a very long time. The best part about it is that the functions aren't gimmicky like adding a television or a crappy digital camera but rather functions that are applicable to a soldiers needs.

I wonder how long the battery remains charged after average use. 500 charges is either a lot or not much depending on how long the interval is in between charges.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
In reading more about it - on the company website not a sales site - I find that it can download and interact with Googles Sat Photo Map database!

View tracks on Google Earth™

The Suunto Track Exporter software allows you to export tracks from your Suunto X9i to Google Earth, where you can view your adventures anywhere on the globe with real satellite imagery. Once exported to Google Earth, you can relive your adventures, zooming from outer space to distances as close as 200 feet with detailed resolution. You can also show progressions of your trips with three-dimensional flyovers from start to finish, and share the excitement of the adventures with anyone who uses Google Earth by emailing the tracks or posting them on a website.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Now I have a Suunto in my crosshairs ready to pull the trigger...some money left over from not being able to get a Nintendo Wii for my kids this Christmas (darn scalpers...). My wife may want to scalp me though, LOL.

Jomashop has the Vector in khaki for 158 bucks! I was looking at the GPS model but it only interfaces with Windoze, I don't want to have to use a work computer and I only have PowerPC Macs at home.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wonder how long the battery remains charged after average use. 500 charges is either a lot or not much depending on how long the interval is in between charges.
Battery life depends on how the watch is used. In this report, Jason Boyle says a wearer can expect 4 hours out of the battery at maximum usage -- when the GPS is updating at 1 second intervals. Obviously much longer if using minimal watch functions.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Battery life depends on how the watch is used. In this report, Jason Boyle says a wearer can expect 4 hours out of the battery at maximum usage -- when the GPS is updating at 1 second intervals. Obviously much longer if using minimal watch functions.
Hey, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts