WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question but I know the speedy is rated at 50 metres water resistance but has anyone inadvertantly been swimming with theirs. And was there any dramas.

Cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
I did not realize the Speedy was rated for 50M.

I would not swim with a non-diver only rated for 50M.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do a search of the forums. Many, many stories of Speedys fogging up after swimming. 50m means absolutely nothing!

·
Registered
58 Posts
odd, when I searched about that a month ago I found several thread saying it's ok backed up by an official Omega chart.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Alexandre

Over the last couple of years on the forum I have seen many posts on this subject including quite a few photos of speedys underwater.

As long as the seals on the watch are OK you are probably OK to get it wet, even swim with it. However exposing it to the force of a crashing wave may not be wise. Its my guess the water ratings are related to pressure tests in static environments. This is why some people also advise against taking low rated watches into power showers.

As much as anyone I love the idea of the perfect watch that can do anything but a speedy is a speedy and other watches are just better designed for water.
If its any consolation there have also been some threads asking if its safe to swim whilst wearing a seamaster so you're not the only one that's concerned.
I'll do anything in a seamaster professional :) but I wouldn't go swimming in my Speedy unless a) it had just been pressure tested, b) I was more worried about it being stolen whilst I was in the water or c) I fell out of a boat.

At the end of the day I would happily swim in a 50m rated watch but just not one that cost as much as a speedy. The cost of potential repairs scares me too much.

bg.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Come on M4tt....time to show the Kayaking pics yet again,lol. Speedy v Water should be made a 'sticky' by now. This Speedy and swimming debate comes up so often and ime sure the comments actually scare people,including me,from swimming while wearing their watch. Omega say you can wear it while swimming,why dont we believe them? Ime sure that once we take the plunge (no pun intended,lol) we will wonder why we worried so much. -Andy

·
Registered
602 Posts
The best way to go is: if you have any doubts/are nervous about it....you probably shouldn't do it. Is it worth the risk? Damaging your watch?

I would never take a Speeder in the water...that's why Omega made the Seamaster series :-d

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Come on M4tt....time to show the Kayaking pics yet again,lol

Sod that, even I'm fed up with them. Didn't you see my new demonstration photo? I'm thinking of starting a new website called 'does it flush?' I can see it being a roaring success!

Fifty meters is actually a hell of a way down, to try to compare the pressure of fifty meters of water to the swirls and local pressure variations of swimming is just plain silly: if local pressure variations were capable of locally reaching even 25 atmospheres they would rip our skin apart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts