WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Probably not a fake, but it looks like an "ebay-only" brand to me. Google's results for "Swinford + watches" all lead into the 'bay. This watch could easily be an OEM version of the Millionsmart MS41700. The internet page http://www.swinfordtimepieces.com/ only gives a timeout error (at least from here). But why does the seller state "Brand: Zenith"? Probably to lure buyers seeking exclusive brands onto his pages...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The web page loads for me. The part I find suspect is email is the only way to contact. I'd think for a real high end brand you should be able to talk to a preson.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Probably not a fake, but it looks like an "ebay-only" brand to me. Google's results for "Swinford + watches" all lead into the 'bay. This watch could easily be an OEM version of the Millionsmart MS41700. The internet page http://www.swinfordtimepieces.com/ only gives a timeout error (at least from here). But why does the seller state "Brand: Zenith"? Probably to lure buyers seeking exclusive brands onto his pages...
OK... I admit it. I have no idea what OEM stands for. Please explain. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it doesn't make any explicit claims. Looks like they're trying to make it seem like more than it is. I emailed Swinford and he said the ebay auction is legit, writing seemed like a native speaker, so he probably is from England. He didn't respond to my comment that it looked like it could be a Chinese watch though.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Oem

OK... I admit it. I have no idea what OEM stands for. Please explain. Thanks in advance.
OEM: Own Equipment Manufacturer

This is an actual slightly misleading term for a (trade) company that has a special relationship with producers in general. Nowadays the public will hear this term mostly in conjunction with computer manufacturers.

An OEM actually does not produce anything, he mostly orders things as bulk ware without changes (OTS = off the shelf) from the producing company and resells them with his brand name on the package.

In some cases (e.g. 'bay watch brands) the OEM's brand name is added to the product itself, this is the first step to the: OEM design. This goes further, as here the OEM actually orders changes in the manufacturer's design, e.g. to make mass product more unique. An OEMed product or an OEM version of a mass product is the outcome.

In case of watches: Millionsmart or Guangzhou Shengming are mass producers of watches, but they offer their service to OEMs.

Another example from the automotive industry: Nearly all car seats (or bumpers, headlights, brakes) are manufactured by specialized producers, but with the car manufacturer's name and part no. on it. For the customer it appears as if these parts are from the car manufacturer himself. Typical OEM products.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
[...]It's interesting that a hand assembled watch would look just like a mass produced one.
Migo, I concur.

Did some web research for macysdirect, cynthia jodon, and swindon enterprises - all lead only into the 'bay.

On their website they state, and I quote:​

"We craft, assemble and test each
timepiece by hand, and will never
offer a mass produced watch."
Well, I could not see the website, it is blocked over here. From the appearance of the Swinford watch with the 4 pushers it could be the model I stated before, with an additional date pointer.

BTW here is the whois data for the site:
___

Registrant:
cynthia jodon / swinford enterprises
ATTN: SWINFORDTIMEPIECES.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Domain Name: SWINFORDTIMEPIECES.COM

Administrative Contact:
cynthia jodon / swinford enterprises
[email protected]
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
Phone: 570-708-8780

Technical Contact:
cynthia jodon / swinford enterprises [email protected]
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Phone: 570-708-8780

Record expires on 29-Aug-2007
Record created on 29-Aug-2006
Database last updated on 23-Oct-2006
___

This data above looks to me as if they actually do not want direct contact.

If you want to see a neat and open whois data entry for comparison, do a check on our beloved watchuseek. Congrats, Ernie, your's is a whois entry i like.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, that's about all the confirmation I need not to go for them. I like their colour scheme, but I think I'll just wait for a Chinese brand to come out and make it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
In my world OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacture.... ;-)

That sure looks like a decorated Asian movement...Just bought a couple of plain jane movements (5 quid each) from Cousins and they are very close in detail compared to those web site pics...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just stumbled onto the web site while looking for information on the Swinford watches in question. After closer review of the webpage on ebay I discovered that if you click on the link below the pic, it will take you to a very nice page (the page that speaks of the 'dual-wind' action) where in fact, if you use your pointer to highlight the words Warranty and Heritage, it lists a phone number. 214-577-0238
Looks ligit to me, I'm probably going to call and speak with someone. Thought you might like the opportunity to do the same.
God bless,
douglas :-!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks just like an Alpha Triple Date I purchased from the Alpha 1993 site for $60.99US delivered to the U.S. Probably a generic watch type produced by several manufacturers in China, Alpha gets theirs from a different place than MillionSmart, IIUC.

One thing I really like about the Swinford version, and that is that the date chapter is not adjacent to the hours/minutes markers. When they are, the two are very confusing. My TD does not get much wrist time for that reason, and most TDs are similar.

Another thing about the Alpha, however, is that I wore it for over a month and it gained 6-7 s/d consistently the entire time. Don't know what it would do over a few years, but I figured that was worth regulating, and probably will once I've done the TZ watch school. If the Swinford matches that performance, it's a damn good deal for the money, I think.

IOW, don't denigrate the Chinese watches in terms of basic quality, because they only lack the finish and reliability of assembly of the movements; they are that close to being players at the lower middle part of the watch spectrum.

wtallman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks just like an Alpha Triple Date I purchased from the Alpha 1993 site for $60.99US delivered to the U.S. Probably a generic watch type produced by several manufacturers in China, Alpha gets theirs from a different place than MillionSmart, IIUC.

One thing I really like about the Swinford version, and that is that the date chapter is not adjacent to the hours/minutes markers. When they are, the two are very confusing. My TD does not get much wrist time for that reason, and most TDs are similar.

Another thing about the Alpha, however, is that I wore it for over a month and it gained 6-7 s/d consistently the entire time. Don't know what it would do over a few years, but I figured that was worth regulating, and probably will once I've done the TZ watch school. If the Swinford matches that performance, it's a damn good deal for the money, I think.

IOW, don't denigrate the Chinese watches in terms of basic quality, because they only lack the finish and reliability of assembly of the movements; they are that close to being players at the lower middle part of the watch spectrum.

wtallman
Thank you for the positive comments on my watch. I am Dewayne Swinford, owner of Swinford Limited Editon Timepieces and the designer of the Forte. Our company has a goal to produce some of the worlds rarest watches. The introduction of the Forte has proven that people desire a nice timepiece at a reasonable price, and the fact that it's limited edition is a nice touch. Our next edition has been designed and will be presold to Forte owners in late Feb.2007 then to the general public.
We will produce a total of 900 watches in 2007 each edition limited to 500 or less. I am currently designing edition 3 and 4.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts