WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, friend just acquired a Swiss Army Ti Dive Master with following issue:

"I got a call from the watch service center where I sent my new dive master to be looked at after I noticed that the second hand would occasionally stick/vibrate. The owner called me to say that there is no problem, that these watches (it's quartz) occasionally (like maybe a couple times a month) automatically recalibrate in order to keep better time. Have you heard anything about this? I couldn't find anything about this online. I just want to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride because the warranty is almost up."

Could y'all weigh in on this - what do you think, fact or crap?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
380 Posts
I never heard of that, but I don't presume to know it all. I would contact swiss army directly to see what they say. Keep us posted

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
The guy is full of $#!% if he told you that.

I demand a watch be as accurate as possible. That means quartz. I've owned several quartz watches over the years from several different companies. Huge range of price and quality. (And sometimes one had nothing to do with the other.)

None of my quartz watches has ever done that. And if one of them did, you better believe there's something wrong with it. You don't develop a reputation for extreme accuracy if that's the type of thing that happens a couple of times a month. He's urinating down your back while telling you it's just raining.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Dive Master Wrist Non Chrono.jpg
The guy is full of $#!% if he told you that.

I demand a watch be as accurate as possible. That means quartz. I've owned several quartz watches over the years from several different companies. Huge range of price and quality. (And sometimes one had nothing to do with the other.)

None of my quartz watches has ever done that. And if one of them did, you better believe there's something wrong with it. You don't develop a reputation for extreme accuracy if that's the type of thing that happens a couple of times a month. He's urinating down your back while telling you it's just raining.
NEVER EVER heard of that! I own the Dive Master 500 Quartz and the Chronograph also and have NEVER faced an issue such as this. My Breitling Colt Super quartz does a kind of weird jerk when going "up hill" depending on which angle I have my Wrist like it is working a little harder with the ticking on the side that it is "climbing" and it is hardly noticeable. It has done this for Years and accuracy is excellent. Call Swiss Army!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
No jerking, i thought you were going to tell us that the seconds hand on your watch doesn't hit the seconds mark, since this is acceptable and rather common. This situation that you're experiencing is really not at all normal.
Can you get a refund or a different watch? i would personally pursue this venue.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Dive Master 500 quartz second hand has a weird behavior when the battery gets low and goes in energy saving mode. The second hand will be jerky and move every 3 sec or so. It really moves in an unusual way. Maybe you battery need to be replace ? If not, I have no idea, good luck.

I also think that the auto calibration told by what seems to be another competent person, was BS

·
Registered
317 Posts
My Divemaster 500 quartz has a "jitter" or a irregular second hand stutter sometimes when it goes through the 30-40 second part of the dial . I guess it is sort of going "uphill" at his point. But overall it keeps very good time. It must be a consistent problem in the model but it doesn't seem to affect the timekeeping.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My Divemaster 500 quartz has a "jitter" or a irregular second hand stutter sometimes when it goes through the 30-40 second part of the dial . I guess it is sort of going "uphill" at his point. But overall it keeps very good time. It must be a consistent problem in the model but it doesn't seem to affect the timekeeping.

Doesn't occur with my DM500, those sound like faulty quartz modules.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Could be the EOL (end-of-life) indicator. When the battery is low, the second hand will sometimes tick with larger intervals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts