WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reply to forum members that have asked me to post more pics and an opinion about the Swiss Army Star Tech 4000, I'm creating this off-topic thread.

I got it because I'm a long time fan of Richard Matheson, the writer of the novel I Am Legend that has inspired 3 movies, including the 2007 one with Will Smith, which I liked very, very much.

I Am Legend was written in 1954 and is about a factory worker, Robert Neville, that survived in the city of Los Angeles a viral epidemic of catastrophic proportions that wiped out humans beings of the face of the Earth, transforming the few survivors into vampires. Robert Neville is the last human being in LA. The novel is as much a sci-fi/horror story as it is about the effects of isolation and the conditions of minorities. Thinking about how human beings always thought that vampires were a marginal, persecuted legend throughout History, Robert Neville's last words (last human being in a world of vampires) are: "I am legend".

The new movie has little to do with the novel, but in my opinion it was turned into a more current and interesting epic story. It's also a sci-fi/horror movie, but much more else in this time of first steps into genetic manipulation. In 2012 a virus genetically modified in 2009 to cure cancer wiped out human beings, transforming the survivors into Darkseekers, rabid zombies that can't stand the effects of UV rays on their skin. Robert Neville is a US Army virologist, last survivor in New York City, who keeps trying to find a cure based in his own immune blood.

Night is the time of the Darkseekers, so the main character has to be very careful when the sun goes down. That's why he wears 2 watches, the Swiss Army Star Tech 4000 and a Hamilton X-Wind automatic chrono. Everyday Robert Neville sets the alarm in the Star Tech to the sunset time in New York City, as an alert to return to his fortified house/refuge/lab, where he waits for daylight in company of his dog Samantha.

The Star Tech has the following functions:
  • Analog timekeeping, and
  • Digital:
    • Timekeeping, that can be used as second time zone
    • Date/Month/Year
    • 1 Alarm (30 seconds duration)
    • 24 hours chrono with up to 32 split records
    • Altimeter (ft/m)
    • Barometer (InHg/Mb)
    • Termometer (F/C)
    • Recording function for vertical ascent and maximum altitude, and for vertical descents
    • Ski runs recording function
I found the sensors very, very, very precise. I also like the fact that the analog display let you see the time at all modes, a simple but clever solution, enhanced by the position and the dimensions of the digital display. The legibility is excellent. The buttons are easy to operate, but not that easy that you could press them by error. The soft rubber strap combined with the ergonomic design of the watch makes it very comfortable to wear.

Some pics:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and impressions. The last pic makes it look beefier than the previous. I had been wondering what watch Will was wearing in the movie. I am now considering picking one of these up. I like the simple look.

I am also a fan of the movie, Will is one of my fav actors and the scene with the Stang (owned one myself).

Thanks again Vintage! For the pics and helping make another dent in the bank account...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Nice... how's the size of this one? Any comparation shots possible?

I also find it interesting that I don't see any openings whatsoever for sensor... :think:

Thanks for posting anyhow, interesting read.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
yes, Vintage, show us some lume, man !!!! its not floating my boat man, but as long as its floting urs, im happy for u. i really really need to see that movie.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, I forgot about that. No light, just standard lume on the hands in the ST4000.

It's interesting that the Swatch Group paid a lot of money, I think (imagine, a Will Smith movie) in product placement for a Hamilton watch, and it is scarcely seen in the film. Originally, Hamilton wanted to promote its new Khaki Sunset, an auto with a complication that shows sunset time in 6 cities of the world, including New York City. The thing is the watch wasn't ready for the movie, so they went with an Khaki X-Wind chrono instead.

Swiss Army didn't pay as much as Hamilton for product placement, though, because the Victorinox/Swiss Army logo was digitally obscured in the frames it appeares in the movie. But the watch (and its alarm sound) do appear prominently and play a part in the movie:

Comparo with a PRW1300G:

@ Duke,

The sensors openings can be seen on the sides of the backplate.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
sell ur 1300. sell ur 1300. !!!!!!!!!!

i asked nicely. if nice isnt your game then

SELL UR 1300 !!!!

u know, it was expecting a screwback. i bet its heavy. great watch, brah !!!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Are you sur this watch is nammed Star Tech and not Sport Tech ? ;-)
In maximonline website, picture is an Airboss... not a ST 4000.
ure right, i got more search result with "sportech 4000"
Vintage is drunk once again and so is Maxim.

Maxim says its a Startech 4000 and clearly they are wrong.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where did I get the Star Tech thing? :-d

OK, people, let's leave it at ST4000. :)

Mine and the one in the movie are different from the one in Amazon.com; different hands. :think:

Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It is indeed a very nice watch. Thanks for sharing. :-!

I also love the movie "I Am Legend".
The Omega Man was better!:-d

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
As I was one of those who requested info, I thank you kindly.

Now could you give me an idea how much they can be found for and where from?

Thanks again!

I also really liked the 'I am Legend' film although many didn't, the CGI was a bit ropey though although the 'post apocalyptic' New York was fantastic!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.