WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody help me here.

The Victorinox is about 5 minutes from me, while the Sumo needs to be flown in from Japan. Now as watcha-holics y'all know what that feels like.
Somebody help keep me on the Seiko track. Those original SAR's sure do look appetizing as well. Hummmmm.

I'm trying to get the small ones out of the way so I can focus on the big purchases next year. Kinda like walking into a candy store as a kid and you see the good stuff up on the racks kinda out of touch but looking down atcha calling yr name...... Do watch sirens exist?

I know, I know, Sally is getting the rope to tie me down in a bit.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Well there are real basic differences here obviously.
Quartz vs. auto being foremost.
The Seiko is really good looking and I'm sure will have better lume.
The SA seems like a great watch for a couple hundred less.
The Seiko really should have a bit wider bracelet.
I've heard shipping from Higuchi and Seiya is really fast and dependable so that shouldn't hold you up.
If it was me, I'd get the Seiko, but it's a no lose choice really.
Good luck!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Somebody help me here.

The Victorinox is about 5 minutes from me, while the Sumo needs to be flown in from Japan. Now as watcha-holics y'all know what that feels like.
Somebody help keep me on the Seiko track. Those original SAR's sure do look appetizing as well. Hummmmm.
Yes, they do. I think the sar gets my vote, especially if you plan on only buying one of the three. The tsar will be my next one after my amphibians come in. You couldn't go wrong with any of the three, but my preference is the look of the sar.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
One more thing to consider :

- quartz will need a battery with big questionmark if your local jewler can pop in the battery and water test it... actually I know they want water test it no of the watchrepair guys in my area will do it... so you replace battery and hope for the best next time you go to the water...

oooorrrr...

- you get auto! granted it's not accurate as Quartz, will probably gain a minute in a week or two and that means you need to "babysit it" to keep accurate time... BUT... it will likely go for 10 years + with no maintenance required WHATSOEVER.

tough choice...

Aloso, reports are that Sumo is rather large and chunky, SA is neither. (I don't have Sumo so I can't comment).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Changing a battery is easy. IF you are smart you applys a thin layer of silicon grease to the rubber seals to ensure they are water tight. I work on some medical diagnostic cancer equipment and I use this grease to seal the black ring seals and it works wonders. I woundn't be concerned especially if you are just swimming with the watch like I do. If you life depends on it "Scuba" them maybe you might want a Jewler to check it.:think:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I like the extra little lumed dots around the dial and the shape of the hands.
46 mm is pretty darn big though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts