WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Swiss army???

14K views 34 replies 33 participants last post by  vshin 
#1 ·
So i want to buy a swiss army watch but i would appreciate feed back on them,are they truly swiss made? are they solid pieces? positive and negative feedback appreciated anything you can tell me about them. thanks in advance:thanks

#4 ·
I had a 7750 powered chrono a few years back that I liked a lot. I got some negative feedback on it from a few people though - it apparently is not a popular brand with some people. I don't quite understand that. It was a Swiss powered chrono, finished nicely, that I bought new for $375. What's not to like?

Attachments

#6 ·
Cant go wrong with a Swiss Army

#8 ·
Swiss Army makes a great watch. As good as any other mid-line manufacturer out there. That stupid little Swiss Army shield makes them loose so much respect. They've used it so much on down market goods that it dragged the whole trademark down. The other thing where they loose respect with WISers is that they have a lot of low-end quartz in their product line. They ought to keep the Swiss Army brand on the low end stuff and push Victorinox strictly on their higher end stuff.

-T

#9 ·
There were 2 ADs near my old office and I would check them out sometimes at lunch if I was bored. I was impressed by the quality and solidity of the watches but not by the styling. They always seemed bland and generic to me, but that is purely subjective of course. If you like the look I would say you probably won't be disappointed by the quality.

#10 ·
Solid, dependable watches for solid, dependable owners. I own 2, the Maverick Chrono and the Alliance Chrono (both from before the Victorinox merge). Personally, I find nothing wrong with the branding as of late, they've been improving it over the last few years. And the shield emblem that NutellaBear doesn't like, I wouldn't buy a Swiss Army/Victorinox product without it. The lower end stuff I'm not too keen on but every maker has pieces that fans of the brand don't like. That's not to say the lower end stuff is poor quality, I just don't like them design wise.

#11 · (Edited)
I guess it should be noted that there are three companies that license the Swiss Army/ Swiss Military branding; Victorinox, Wenger (now a low-end subsidiary of Victorinox) and Hanowa.

AFAIK they are all Swiss Made and good quality within their respective price ranges, but they're not particularly "luxurious" or adventurous in terms of design. (Which, if you think about it, is appropriate for a military watch ;-))

#14 ·
I have three. I have been happy with all of them. To me they are elegantly clean looking and very functional. I love the logo. I get the impression they started a customer base with their swiss quartz watches and now they are trying to grow into the middle market by introducing more automatics. I'm looking at the divemaster mecha as one of my next purchases.

#16 ·
Keep an eye on SA they are the next Mont Blanc
They have quite a few really nice ETA powered designs and thier fit and finish is excellent. With the ground force, chronopro, mecha they are looking real good.

#18 ·
Some of my very favorite watches. Yes they are Swiss Made. And reliable.

Found this Maverick II Chrono at Ross for about $125.00 a couple of months ago.

And this Wenger Terragraph (Automatic ETA 2824/Sapphire/Display back) for $115.45 online.

#20 ·
Dive Master 500

I love my Dive Master 500 in gunmetal PVD. Very well made, great finish, and tough as nails. A great daily beater. :-!

#21 ·
I have like SIX Swiss Army and Victorinox watches, and I love them all. Gave away a few as gifts as well.

All I can say is, see if your city has Warehouse sales that sell Swiss Army, Wenger or Victorinox watches. I bought all mine from those and they were at least 40% off. I see the exact same watch outside at AD for hundreds of $$$ more ! I feel so bad for those who bought it at the "normal" price.

#22 ·
I have two Wengers: an Aquagraph Nightforce (diver's on rubber) which I use as a beater/ exercise watch, and a simple field watch (steel strap with tachymetre; it was $40 on clearance.) Both seem high quality, especially for the price. My dad also has a Victorinox Airboss Mach V (mechanical, no chrono) which also seems very high quality.
I don't think they are worth full retail.
Victorinox has outrageous retail prices. You know the Swiss Army Knife classic, the little one people carry on their keychain? It retails for $20. Target sells it for eleven.

#23 ·
I work at an AD, and they do seem to be expensive for what they offer. That being said, I have like five of them. They are excellent quality for their price point. Give a different option for people looking to spend less than 1000 bucks on a nice watch. We have Seiko, Citizen, Bulova (Bleh), and Fossil (super bleh) at our store. I have at least one of each brand, and SA is BY FAR my favorite.

#25 ·
Dear Watch Snob, I am considering a Victorinox Swiss Army Vintage Chronograph Jubilee Edition for everyday use. I do own several high-end watches already, but I just want something that can take a beating. No, I don't want a Timex. What's your take?
Despite what one may think, Victorinox Swiss Army really does make a decent product. The watches are, in fact, Swiss-made and don't try to pretend to be something they're not. They are long-lasting, military-inspired timepieces for people that don't want to break the bank. In a rare moment of weakness, the Snob approves.
From Askmen... not that I consider Watch Snob to be the authority on watches.

#26 ·
I think VSA has some great designs and have developed their own distinct look. My current collection:

#27 ·
Re: Dive Master 500

I have 3, 2 VSA and a Wenger. My favorite is the VSA Garrison (discontinued). I've seen them advertised as high as $175 but I got 2 (one for dad) from a D.O.D. site for $35 ea. Mine was 1sec fast after 6 months. Very solid, reliable watches. On a pure dollar value basis my Garrison is easily the best buy in my humble collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.