WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Squale Atmos 20 and was so excited to receive my first Swiss Made Automatic watch! The movement is an ETA 2824-2, which I have heard is very reliable and accurate. I also have an Orient Mako, which I love and has proven to be very accurate!

The Swiss Made ETA movement is gaining about 6+ seconds per day. Does that sound normal? My Orient Mako only gains 2-3 seconds per day!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I recently purchased a new Squale Atmos 20 and was so excited to receive my first Swiss Made Automatic watch! The movement is an ETA 2824-2, which I have heard is very reliable and accurate. I also have an Orient Mako, which I love and has proven to be very accurate!

The Swiss Made ETA movement is gaining about 6+ seconds per day. Does that sound normal? My Orient Mako only gains 2-3 seconds per day!

Being off six seconds isn't really bad, and gaining only 2-3 seconds is very good.

Just being swiss doesn't somehow make a movement especially accurate. While the swiss have been know for reliability and accuracy, there are tons of other movement types from all over the world that will rival swiss movements in quality.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
2824's can be regulated to be very accurate in their top and chronometer grades (I don't know what grade of 2824 that Squale uses, though I read that it uses elabore-grade movements. If it's a standard or elabore grade, it will not be as finely adjusted or regulated, and will not use Nivarox hairsprings or Glucydur balances.)

What makes an accurate movement is its consistency from day to day and position to position. Generally, the friction in the movement, the design of the mainspring system, the quality and temperature stability of the hairspring, and the material and poising of the balance affect accuracy. The better ETA grades use Glucydur balances and Nivarox hairsprings and are adjusted in five or six positions. If it's running +6 seconds per day reliably, then it's very accurate and may need a bit of regulation. Regulation merely affects the position of the regulating stud on the hairspring, and thus the period of the hairspring and balance wheel combination. An accurate watch can be regulated; an inaccurate watch cannot.

Orient, as I understand it, uses Seiko movements, which are quite good at their price points.

But +6 consistently is pretty good, only a small amount outside chronometer expectations, especially if it's an elabore-grade 2824. But 2824's in the better grades can do better.

Rick "who has never handled a Squale" Denney

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

COSC certified movements (the highest standard) are allowed +6/-4 seconds of deviation per day (average daily rate). Some will do much better than that and not be COSC while others will perform much worse. As to your Squale, I'm assuming it isn't a chronometer which means that +6 seconds is superb. Your orient is a degree or two more superb in accuracy.

They are both well within acceptable ranges of functioning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haha, I'd accept +6 sec/day in any of my automatics. Just be glad that your not here complaining how off your watch is running :-d

There's also a video that supposedly shows how the Orient movement is better than a ETA 2892.

I can't remember where I read it, that Seiko and Orient share some parts and technology. I don't think full movements, though.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
Six seconds is one the good side for a 2824. If anything I question whether the 3 seconds is really a representative accuracy measurement for your Orient.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
to be clear, the measure of a watch's accuracy isn't purely to do with the daily deviation. More importantly, there is the deviation between positions.

Just because your Orient demonstrates a lower daily deviation, it doesn't automatically mean that it is technically more accurate.
On a related line of discussion, some watch-makers regulate watches to suit the owner instead of seeking the best graph reading and sometimes this results in the watch having a bias in one position that results in a greater deviation in that position but gives the owner better time keeping in practice.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My Squale 20 ATM which I have been wearing alot and wore 24 Hrs a day for 7 days is consistently +3 to +5 sec a day and from what I understand they are regulated at factory, my Ball Fireman Victory same movement in top grade(according to Ball) is more like +7 to +10 Seconds a day, still fine with me.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
A lot of people are surprised how accurate even cheap Orients are. Granted, there's no guarantee on that, so you can get unlucky, but they seem to do a really good job of getting them dialed in at the factory. The 2824, obviously, can be very accurate too. This was nothing more than luck of the draw.

Orient does use their own in house movements, although on the very high end, I've seen them borrow some Seiko movements.

Here's an Orient with a Seiko 6S36. I'm not sure if Orient uses Seiko quartz movements though (it seems entirely possible).

As far as I know, all Orient mechanicals sold in America are Orient in house.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I've owned several orients ranging from -4 to +7 on the wrist. All excellent accuracy numbers for watches that cost less than $400. I own one ETA 2836 that at the moment runs within 1s /d after being regulated by a local watchmaker. Before that it ran about +4.

Admittedly, the accuracy on the wrist is only part of the story. There is significant positional variance between positions.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The Orient Star I bought for my father runs consistently at +15s. My Seiko Sarb is worst at +25/+15s depending on overnight position and ambient temperature. My Atlantic with a standard 2824-2 runs consistently at +4s so it beats by far both Japanese. Although I prefer the Japanese designs, my experience tells me that the Swiss are still ahead in the low-mid market. Just saying...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
After wearing it for a couple of weeks, open the back, fiddle with the micro adjustment screw. You should be able to make it as accurate as your Orient.

The ST1812 in my Sea-Gull was +6 when new. Now it's about +1 second a day. Pretty consistent too. Almost no difference between dial up and on wrist.

What is the beat rate of basic Orients?

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
After wearing it for a couple of weeks, open the back, fiddle with the micro adjustment screw. You should be able to make it as accurate as your Orient.

The ST1812 in my Sea-Gull was +6 when new. Now it's about +1 second a day. Pretty consistent too. Almost no difference between dial up and on wrist.

What is the beat rate of basic Orients?
The BPH on the vast majority of them is 21600 I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts