WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I have been looking through the forum on information on Swiss hallmarks and came across this table in the Links and Articles section.

Also on page 6 of his fabulous write-up on gold Omega Constellations, Desmond Guilfoyle has a smaller table matching up case makers with responsibility marks and assay offices.

What I find interesting is that none of the case makers in Desmond's table appear in the first, supposedly "representative selection" table:

Ed. Wenger S.A. Key: number 1 – Geneva (5/1)
Antione Gerlach S.A. Key: number 4 – Geneva (5/4)
Serva S.A. Hammer Head: number 352 – La Chaux-de-Fonds (1/352)
La Centrale Hammer Head: number 179 – Bienne (1/179)

I am also specifically looking for information on Hammer Head No. 170 - 1/170...Does anyone know who it belongs to and the correct assay mark for it? Does this case back look authentic?

:thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hmmm, I think the answer is in the acknowledgement that it's not an exhaustive list.

My list (hard copy) obtained through the Union Suisse pour l'Habillage de la Montre is ten pages long and contains case makers from 1934 to present.

The Hammer Head 170 mark belongs to the case maker Cedex, Charles Dubois SA based in La Chaux-de-Fonds, and as such the assay mark under the base of the Helvetia should show the mark C. There were a family of three Dubois with three different registrations producing cases in La Chaux-de-Fonds from 1947 to around 1987.

Ive never seen a 166.063 Connie case that was faked and so I feel it may well be genuine. The Helvetia certainly looks right and the responsibility mark looks correct. This is a relatively late model from the early 70s and there was some flux in the sourcing of case makers. If there is a C under the Helvetia, I'm betting its for real.

Cheers

desmond
Hi there!

I have been looking through the forum on information on Swiss hallmarks and came across this table in the Links and Articles section.

Also on page 6 of his fabulous write-up on gold Omega Constellations, Desmond Guilfoyle has a smaller table matching up case makers with responsibility marks and assay offices.

What I find interesting is that none of the case makers in Desmond's table appear in the first, supposedly "representative selection" table:

Ed. Wenger S.A. Key: number 1 – Geneva (5/1)
Antione Gerlach S.A. Key: number 4 – Geneva (5/4)
Serva S.A. Hammer Head: number 352 – La Chaux-de-Fonds (1/352)
La Centrale Hammer Head: number 179 – Bienne (1/179)

I am also specifically looking for information on Hammer Head No. 170 - 1/170...Does anyone know who it belongs to and the correct assay mark for it? Does this case back look authentic?

:thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, maestro! :) Sometimes I wonder if it's not better that these lists are not readily available on the internet, lest the fraudsters out there can up the ante on their dirty tricks. :-s

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Not a bad point you make there.;-)

BTW I should have mentioned that that caseback was 166.163. Hace you a pic of the dial and case? It should be a chunky 100X series movement model.

If so I would like to add it to that list on case makers as Cedex is one case maker I havent seen feature on pre-70- Constellations

Cheers

Desmond

Thank you, maestro! :) Sometimes I wonder if it's not better that these lists are not readily available on the internet, lest the fraudsters out there can up the ante on their dirty tricks. :-s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts