WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Word has it that this site does not do valuations, but I guess I can say that this piece is not at all a vintage Rolex or anything... It's condition too is not too great; scratched case, poor lume on the numbers etc.

But... nice piece, and I do have a similar 17j so I love the style of this kind of watch. I'd say it's a 1940s/early 1950s piece, worth keeping and enjoying! :-!

Mine is a similar 1940s 17 jewel, (essentially worthless) but interesting all the same:
aaa.jpg

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi and welcome
Can not tell so much from the face except it looks ALL original and correct - 'incabloc' was shock protection patented 1933 and introduced to most time pieces by 40s.
The lume looks Radium to me, which was banned in 1960 other wise dial would be marked T SWISS T
So your watch is 40s or 50s

Pictures of movement would help a lot.
Its an OK looking watch.

Regards

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Agreed; the thicker bezel and multi-tone dial are very typical of the post war watches; bezels started getting thinner into the 60s. The lume looks a bit too pale to be radium; there were no strict rules regarding the labeling of radioactive lume to my knowledge; use of the "T-Swiss-T" was somewhat haphazard, plus there were various other radioactive substances that dialmakers experimented with (some of which turned out to be far more dangerous then radium). BTW, this watch is missing its sweep second hand, I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts