WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to get myself a swiss made automatic watch as a graduation gift. My budget is somewhere around $1500.
I have done some homework and would like to get the experts' opinions.

Two brands I was looking for, Oris and Tag Heuer
More specifically, I was looking for Oris TT1 diver, william's F1, and Tag Aquaracer 5.

I am no expert on these elegant toys and would appreciate anyone's recommendation. Perhaps more details on the comments of the quality of the assembly, the movement in each model, the durability of each brand?

Plus, I would also appreciate if anyone has suggestions on other brands/models within this price range $1500+/-500.
I am looking for a stainless steel, automatic watch with simple design (as simple as possible), not too big or incredibly thick. I want this watch good for both sports and suit.

The other question: I found the price is significantly (to me) cheaper for some models in Amazon comparing to the retail price. And there seems to be a little bit complain about those on-line retailers. It seems to me that the biggest difference is the warranty. Since the manufactures' warranty is somewhere between 1-2 yrs, how often do these watches need maintance? How would you maintain after the manufactures' warranty?

And for those of you who get your watch from the on-line retailer, how do you usually maintain that watch?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You can check the better grey market sites:
alanfurman.com
ashford.com
jomashop.com
etc.
I would look at the Tag Carrera automatic its $1800 on alanfurman

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Ooh I like that Rado, havent seen that one before. Will keep an eye out for that. x2 on checking GM sites if you dont mind online purchase. If it must be AD, add Hamilton to the list as well, and Longines as well.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Longines Sport Collection Hydroconquest Water Resisitant 1000 feet Men's Watch:

Longines Sport Collection Hydroconquest Water Resisitant 1000 feet Men's Watch.jpg

Very popular, very well regarded.

Reactions: toloen, usa and WnS

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
If I had $1500 to spend I'd go for the Rado R15960203 D-Star 200.
In general I shy away from Rado watches not because there's anything wrong with them, but because they are very stylish. Too nice for an average dude like me. I didn't know that Rado makes classic watches like this R15960203 D-Star 200 which I like for its simplicity :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
In general I shy away from Rado watches not because there's anything wrong with them, but because they are very stylish. Too nice for an average dude like me. I didn't know that Rado makes classic watches like this R15960203 D-Star 200 which I like for its simplicity :)
I kinda agree with you usa. Although I'm a Rado collector I actually don't like many of the highly stylised ceramic watches that Rado are famous for. I prefer many of their vintage watches but the latest stuff they are bringing out I really like! They have a new director Matthias Breschan (pictured below with Andy Murray) and I really like the new direction Rado are taking. They are also starting to sponsor some quite big sporting events so I hope the future is bright for Rado!!

imgAndyMurray_wearing_Rado_D-Star_200_and_MatthiasBreschan.jpg

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
If it must be Swiss, I'd suggest saving a little and buying a used Omega Aqua Terra 2500. It has an almost-inhouse movement, 150 meter water resistance, a better pedigree, better resale value...all around a much nicer watch. Better power reserve too (8 hours longer than most competitors) and chronometer rated. Double AR coated sapphire.

Reasonably well decorated movement too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I highly recommend you look at used Omega Seamaster Professionals, they are great watches and can go with any occasion. I bought mine from my local watch shop and got a 1 year warranty from the store. I'm going to service mine every 5 years or so. Expect that to cost you around $350.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts