WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid my Sinn U1 may be magnetized. It suddenly went from running a consistent -8 seconds/day to running more than a minute slow per day. When I pass a compass near by, the needle deflects. The compass isn't effected by a different watch. Does this sound like it's time to order a demagnetizer and learn to use it?
Watch Water Analog watch Plant Clock

·
Registered
671 Posts
Magnetism normally causes the coils of the hairspring to cling together causing the watch to run faster rather than slower. I would think it's something else.
I beg to differ with another post here but a magnetized watch can run either fast or slow. from what you have described your watch may certainly be magnetized. The good news is that the issue is easily addressed. You can take it to a watchmaker or buy the proper equipment yourself. It is pretty cheap.

If you need to verify the above it is a quick Google away. Good luck.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The hardened cases will pull a compass needle. My Damasko has a fairly strong pull. It's not magnetized. It's the case material.

However, I have a Squale that is magnetized. It will pull the needle but does it gently. Theres not enough steel in the watch to create that big of magnetic pull. Clue, itll run fast. 2-3minutes A day. 5 minutes in three days while sitting on the stand, fast. Worn, keeps excellent time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just demagnetized a watch that was suddenly running about 15 seconds slow per day. It went right back to normal. Magnetized watches do not always run fast. You can buy this from Amazon and give it a shot. It’s cheap, easy to use, and a good thing to have around if you have mechanical watches.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
The hardened cases will pull a compass needle. My Damasko has a fairly strong pull. It's not magnetized. It's the case material.

However, I have a Squale that is magnetized. It will pull the needle but does it gently. Theres not enough steel in the watch to create that big of magnetic pull. Clue, itll run fast. 2-3minutes A day. 5 minutes in three days while sitting on the stand, fast. Worn, keeps excellent time.
Not all hardened cases are magnetic.

Damasko Ice Hardened uses thru-hardened (heat treated) martensitic stainless. Martensitic alloys are ferromagnetic and will attract a compass needle (and be attracted to magnets).

Damasko's hardened submarine steel is austenitic stainless and non-magnetic. Hardening is a chemical surface treatment, not heat treatment. Austenitic alloys like 316 aren't heat treatable for hardnesd.

The Sinn U1 case is also made from chemically surface hardened austenitic sub steel. It's non-magnetic and will not affect a compass needle.

No iron magnetic shield in the U1, either. If it's pulling a compass needle, the movement is likely magnetized.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not all hardened cases are magnetic.

Damasko Ice Hardened uses thru-hardened (heat treated) martensitic stainless. Martensitic alloys are ferromagnetic and will attract a compass needle (and be attracted to magnets).

Damasko's hardened submarine steel is austenitic stainless and non-magnetic. Hardening is a chemical surface treatment, not heat treatment.

The Sinn U1 case is also made from chemically surface hardened austenitic sub steel. It's non-magnetic and will not affect a compass needle.

No iron magnetic shield in the U1, either. If it's pulling a compass needle, the movement is likely magnetized.
I believe it was you who educated me to the steel composition. After I was be withered on why my Damasko will yank a compass needle.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I just demagnetized a watch that was suddenly running about 15 seconds slow per day. It went right back to normal. Magnetized watches do not always run fast. You can buy this from Amazon and give it a shot. It’s cheap, easy to use, and a good thing to have around if you have mechanical watches.

+1, worth a shot, worst case you're out a few bucks. Do watch instructional videos, however.

Reactions: bob_sacamano

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
Thanks for the guidance. I am ordering the demagnetizer and will report back.
Be careful, this device also can magnetize your watch further if you make the wrong move. I use the same device to magnetize my screwdrivers (for computer or smartphone repair).

Make sure you watch a couple of YouTube videos before processing.

Reactions: K55n5

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
4,051 Posts
One problem with the little blue buzz box is that it might not work on a cased movement. A real demagnetizer has a hole to stick the watch in and a warning label.

BTW, I have the buzz box and it works great on a disassembled movement. Absolutely necessary before parts go into the cleaner.

·
Registered
Seiko Srpg37k1
6 Posts
Hi everyone! Speaking of magnetism, I work in the airport and I always pass through scanners as part of security protocol 4-10x a day and I don't remove my mechanical watches. Will passing through these scanners affect my watches in any way? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
one of those cheap little blue thingy's are definitely worth the price of admission. I have had one for years and I have used it countless times. Make sure the movement is run down or stopped when proceeding to use the device. good luck

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Hi everyone! Speaking of magnetism, I work in the airport and I always pass through scanners as part of security protocol 4-10x a day and I don't remove my mechanical watches. Will passing through these scanners affect my watches in any way? Thanks.
I've never had an issue either walking through while wearing or putting them in the bin with my carry-on to be fed through the X-ray.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well, time to revise that assumption--magnetism can cause a few seconds up to a few minutes deviation in either direction (slow or fast), while fast is the more common--no absolutes here.
Agreed. I've had magnetized watches that ran anywhere from an extra 10 seconds to 20 minutes/day fast. Vintage movements & modern watches w/exhibition backs have been the most vulnerable to magnets in my experience.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Good lord one person says magnetization causes watches to run only fast another says it makes them run slow. Too many pseudo-experts on here.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Good lord one person says magnetization causes watches to run only fast another says it makes them run slow. Too many pseudo-experts on here.
And not enough people who take a few minutes to research the issue before they post… even with the miracle of google available to them! 😂

“…magnetism can cause a watch to run very fast or very slow, depending on the parts affected.”

Reactions: Pontificator
1 - 20 of 30 Posts