WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel irritated that the second hand of the Speedy Pro does not seem to by synchronised with the minute hand of the watch (when the minute hand points to a particular minute exactly, the second hand does not necessarily read 12)?

This makes it particularly hard to set the time as you have to push the crown in when the second hand reaches 12 with the minute hand adjusted to the minute already. And you can't set the minute hand too early either because it keeps moving. So you have to quickly and accurately set the time as the second hand sweeps through the last 5 seconds or so before 12.

Anyone have any special tips? Or is it something to be lived with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe someone else can answer for the speedy but I will post what happens with my seamaster. The synchronization can be achieved easily because of the hack function.

However, in order to achieve exact synchronization between second hand and minute hand (as you and I desire) I have to move the minute hand a little bit forward. That is, I stop the second hand at 12 and I position the minute hand, not exactly at the desired minute, but a little bit forward. With that technique, when the next minute passes, the minute hand will be showing at the next minute marker as it should be.

Maybe someone else can enlighten more.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sngyze. The Speedy Pro does not hack, so it is a bit trickier to set the time to the second. However, if you gently turn the crown in the opposite direction, the second hand will stop. I generally set the minute hand back a minute or two and when the atomic clock hits 12, I turn the crown forward, starting the second hand, then align the minute hand with the correct marker.

My minute hand hits right on the mark. Hope that helps.

eric

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Non-hacking watches are the devils true tools eric :-d
(Apologies for bringing up religion!)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Non-hacking watches are the devils true tools eric :-d
(Apologies for bringing up religion!)
I can justify a lot of things about Speedy, John, like no date and manual winding, but I can't defend the fact that it doesn't hack. It would definitely be an improvement for those accuracy nuts. The good thing is, I've had to set mine once in the last 9 months, and that was because of daylight savings. Stupid farmers.

eric

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one facing that problem. And thanks Eric, I shall try out your method.

Eugene

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sngyze. The Speedy Pro does not hack, so it is a bit trickier to set the time to the second. However, if you gently turn the crown in the opposite direction, the second hand will stop. I generally set the minute hand back a minute or two and when the atomic clock hits 12, I turn the crown forward, starting the second hand, then align the minute hand with the correct marker.

My minute hand hits right on the mark. Hope that helps.

eric
I think I read someplace that this is easier or at least better to do when the watch is not fully wound. Of course this just theory on my part. My speedy pro is in a box under the Christmas tree:think: I hope....

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
I think I read someplace that this is easier or at least better to do when the watch is not fully wound. Of course this just theory on my part. My speedy pro is in a box under the Christmas tree:think: I hope....
I hope too. Wait till it's on your wrist! It's pretty awesome. John Wilson.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: Synchronizing second hand

I think I read someplace that this is easier or at least better to do when the watch is not fully wound.
I believe it does not matter at all. Walt Odets discuses this issue here in the Horologium:

For those who must set their watches to the second, the cannon pinion may usually be used for "hacking" when the watch does not provide a true balance-interference hack lever. By setting the watch to the time desired and then applying a small amount of back pressure on the crown (i.e. in the direction used to reverse the hands), the cannon pinion will bring the movement to a stop. Simply releasing the crown will allow the movement to restart. If the watch cannot be stopped with this technique, a slight tightening of the cannon pinion is required. Such use of the cannon pinion for hacking will not normally add to the wear of the pinion, because, with the movement stopped, there is no slippage between cannon pinion and the great wheel pinion.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey, thats another fun part of mechanical gear trains called backlash, of which there is a bundle of em found in the speedy.

It can get annoying at first but you soon get used to it. I normally set the minute hand a couple of minutes fast, to the precise time and wait for the second hand to catch up till it hit 45 sec (15s to the time I want) or so before pushing in the crown, then the hands are perfectly aligned - ok perfectly happens - sometimes only, if not then i try it again, and again, and again..... till i get it righ.

o|

moral of the story - get those darn watches regulated and don't let them run down!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts