WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a nice blacked out tactical looking G-Shock.
I was considering the G7900 with negative display and the D6900 models.

What do you all think of these choices or are there any others I'm missing?
There was a nice tactical thread for this but it was closed so I can't ask my questions over there.
Thanks...

·
Registered
575 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
There is no doubt about it, a reversed liquid crystal display (LCD) looks very cool - however, sometimes they are not the easiest thing to read, which, for a watch, is quite important.

But if that is the way you want to go, I can think of no better model than the GW-9200MBJ-1JF Men in Matt Black Riseman

Quite possibly the sexiest watch ever produced by Casio..............

·
Registered
935 Posts
Gotta agree with Mr. Chin. The GWM5600b is a fantastic watch. Tiktox still has one left with the standard resin strap. They were originally released with a deployment clasp bracelet. I sold my bracelet since I couldn't get a good fit and replaced it with a standard resin strap. Casio Watches at Discount Prices | Casio Watches , Casio Watch Straps | Casio G-Shock Watches | Casio Pathfinder Watches |Casio Wave Ceptor Watches|Casio Watch Straps
Hi Bob,

I was just wondering if you had pulled the trigger on the white 5600 yet - I can't see it in the picture....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the 5600's. I have a positive display one at home.
I just feel like they are too small for my wrist.
I really like that GW7900 or maybe the king...I don't know what to do!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I really like the tactical black look of the GW7900.....don't have one but it's on my list. I also really like the GD100. My favorite in this category though, is the GA100-1A1. The negative displays are a bit hard to read in some light and at some angles. With the analog display, I can check the time instantly and also have the benefit of a digital stopwatch (to the 1/1000th of a second) and a digital timer. A drawback on the GA100 is that the hands are not lumed. And, although I list this as a "drawback," in a true "tactical situation," lumed hands can be seen over fairly long distances in the dark. There is alot of contrast between the white hands and the black face that usually makes seeing the time pretty easy with the aid of even a bit of ambient light. The backlight on this model is also one of the best, doing a great job of displaying the hands.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I had and still have quite a few G-Shocks with negative displays and so far nothing beats the G-7800B and G-7710-1 - both have an adjustable contrast - something which Casio should implement on all their digital watches:

The G-7800B is not really that tactical however because of the shiny metal bezel:

It really becomes obvious how good those displays are when you compare them to other negative display G-Shocks:

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
:rodekaartConsider a watch with buttons you can manipulate with gloves. Not good if you need to change a function or activate the lume and you can't.:-s For the most part any of the watches offered should be able to tolerate any abuse you might be able to dish out, ei. bash into a door jamb stuff like that (this goes without saying.):-x

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
May i suggest a classic?

although i have to admit i had to mod it into this, it´s about as black as it gets...

:)

I believe your initial idea of teh 7900 is a good idea, although I´d stick with a positive display because of the readability.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Any negative display is a compromise you don't want in a tactical scenario. A black watch with a positive display is a better choice and suitable for all tasks. The positive display can have a specific colour like green or yellow (GX-56-1B) to lower the contrast a little and therefore helps to increase stealthiness. The absolute best compromise I have found so far is on my modded G-7800B with a turquoise G-8000-4 module inside:

The same (uncoloured) module in its original case in a G-8000-1 for comparison:

The legibility and contrast is unrivaled but on the picture not as "stealthy" or "tactical" looking. However in the real world, this doesn't make much difference, unless you stand next to someone and you have a direct view at the crystal. But anything more than three meters away and you will noctice mostly no difference.

The truth is that watch faces are usually too small to be obstrusive (unless they are in a bright colour like orange ect), the far more critical factor is a polished bracelet and/or case which can be quite a give-away of your position. Believe it or not, I have seen soldiers crawling around with bling-bling watches during high-critical military exercises and I thought those guy might train for a suicide misssion....:rodekaart

However, if you are very picky and if you want to be full tactical, a black watch isn't even the best choice. Black has - of course - naturally a very high contrast and it considered the worst of all good camoflage colours. To wear a full tactical watch you actually will need one with an stealthed, yet legible dial like the Luminox 3063 for instance:

and replace the black band with a similar colour, like on my Seiko SNZG09 in "Desert Tan":

Those Khaki colours do blend in VERY WELL in rural and urban environments and do an amazing job if you want to wear the watch often above your cloth or during summer in a t-shirt. The bright brownish colours make probably the most unobstrusive contrast to human skin (unless you are a black guy) and help to make the watch as "tactical" and "stealthy" as it gets ;-).

cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts