WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a tactical pen (Precision Press Series) from Tuff Writer Pens Tuff Writer Pens. Is not a lightweight pen. Here are the specs:
They do sell titanium pins, but are currently out of stock.

Length: 6.0 inches
Thickness: 0.50 inches
Weight: 1.8 oz.
Color: Purple
Cap: None
Engraving: None
Material: 6061-T6 Aerospace Grade Aluminum
Clip: Cold Pressed Spring Steel
Finish: Proprietary non-reflective / non-marking surface treatment and hard anodized
to Mil-A-8625 “F” specifications
Fittings: Stainless steel bolts and chemical welding
Mechanism: Machined bearing cam mechanism
Cartridge: Fisher #SPR4

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I carry an S&W M&P II tac pen, but I rarely use it myself. I think it's got a medium Space Pen refill atm, formerly a Parker gel. When I bought it, I was looking for a non-disposable that would take a good knocking around & it's done well in that regard over the years. When I transitioned to using primarily fountain pens, it became my go-to loaner when asked to use a pen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm always wanted to buy one but haven't done so... yet. The reason for getting one for me would be for novelty but if someone gets one, they should train/practice on how to use it (in case of self defense for example but i doubt people would reach for their tac pen).

·
Registered
256 Posts
They are more fantasy than function these days, but they were simply improvised weapons in restricted areas when I carried one around. It looked like a normal zero type pen but was one solid piece of aluminum that could be used to create a fatal puncture wound. Some were pressurized so they would write in the rain and at strange angles. A truly tactical pen would look like any other pen and not raise attention.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson that's a decent pen and takes Parker (and thus, also pressurized Fisher) refills. It came in a little gift box with a matching pocket knife. Both black, like my fate.

·
Premium Member
36,086 Posts
I have been considering one as well for something different. They look pretty cool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rail commuter here. I carry one in case I need to bash my way through a train window. The whistle might be useful in a derailment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Tactical" as a category is of no interest but there are certain so-called tactical pens that are excellent. The Tibolt is one such. Knife makers know how to make a proper clip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After going to a few MMA Street education classes, it became very apparent how useful these pens are. More so because you become very aware of your surroundings and potential situations where you may have to defend yourself..........or write a poem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't use them. Not for lack of appreciation of them, but more because their style is usually a little more aggressive or over the top than most of the pens I carry. I also work for local government (communications/web/PR) and I have to be able to get in and out of government buildings that have security checkpoints. Which brings me to the real reason I don't use them... Because they're technically a weapon (or could be perceived as such). You do have to be careful about traveling with them. Especially if you're going to be flying and will be passing through a TSA checkpoint. Many of the tactical pens look like weapons (i.e., they're not hiding the fact that the pen could be used as a self defense mechanism) and TSA will pull them and you'll lose it.

There are some neat ones out there, though. And if you're looking for a little more aggressive writing instrument to round out your AR15-based EDC Kit, Schrade and the like make some cool pens. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have been looking at them, but when I am going to carry a tactical pen I realize I might as well be carrying a G2 so if I lose it I am not out the money on a super cool pen that somebody else will find in the wilderness.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I assume for most people when they need their tactical pen they won't have it on them.
Like...

"Please sign here, here and... Here." "Oh... I seem to have forgotten my pen. May I borrow yours?"

Or... "Gimme your wallet!" "Take tha... Dang. I forgot my tactical pen. Here, take the wallet."

???

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Tactical is kind of a buzz word now-a-days that makers in a lot of industries use to try to sell a product... it may not have more than one purpose, but if it has a certain look or uses certain materials, they'll call it "tactical." I'm new to this forum, but I've spent many years in the high-end knife and firearm world, and pens are very big over there as well.
As was mentioned above, Fellhoelter makes the TiBolt pen, which is a full Titanium pen and very useful, and it works incredibly well. I carry one everyday. Matthew Martin is also an up-and-coming pen maker that makes a lot of models from Titanium and Carbon fiber. He uses a lot of different metals as well and makes a very good looking pen.
They both advertise as "tactical", but it has more to do with materials and the industry that they are trying to sell into.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts