WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time reader of the forums but this is my first time post. I'm looking for a tactical or blackout type watch. I prefer a digital readout. I also enjoy the atomic feature that the Casio Protrek models have. I've been looking at purchasing the Casio 130Y but I'm not sure about the visibility of the display. I like the positive face as well but I haven't seen a Casio in all black with a positive face. I've seen the Casio Protrek 2500-1 but the display seems too small for my liking.

Before I buy a watch I just want to be sure that I've explored all my options.

Thanks and I appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you buying for a "tactical" look, or actually for a tactical purpose.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
PRW-1500YJ-1JF.jpg

I had one of these for about a year before selling it to a friend. It had THE most legible digital display I have ever had, negative or positive. Even my current GW-5000 doesn't compare.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Sottomarino - It's not an everyday watch but it's great for grab and go during the daytime (no lume).
Sottomarino 1.JPG
Plus it's all ceramic so it'll maintain it's "blackness" with no scratches for a long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Really just buying the look. I work at night and having to push a button to see the time won't bother me. How "accurate" is the non atomic watch vs. an atomic watch? NWP627.....that's a sharp watch! I take it that the Casio 130Y is easy to see in normal lighting?

I've always had some version of the Casio atomic watch whether its a g shock or pathfinder. I've always been a nerd not only to know what time it is but I want the exact time. That's why I've stayed away from the non atomic versions but if its really close to the "atomic" time then that would be sufficient. Yeah,I know, I'm a nerd in that department.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Mine was a PRW-1500, but it looks like it was identical to the 130Y except for the MultiBand 5. Assuming that, it's probably just as legible. The backlight looks really sharp at night too.

I just looked at the price of the 130Y on Amazon and honestly that's a crazy price. I paid MUCH less than that for a superior JDM model. It's a plastic-cased watch on a resin band with mineral glass. If you really like it it's a perfectly serviceable watch, but I'd never pay $400+ for it.

...wow. The one I had is $890 on Amazon. I would never even consider it for that.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Have you considered the suunto x-lander military? With this watch tactical becomes tacticool;-)

And as tactical analog watches go, they have the same degree of functionality as a bracelet in certain low-light situations.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
$890 is waaaaaaay out of my price range. I saw the 130Y for $289 at Wrist watch collections - Discount watches - Casio, Citizen, G-Shock, Fossil, Skagen Timex and more.. I've never bought anything from them so I don't know about their customer service.
Customer service when you're buying digital quartz is pretty irrelevant. It's either broken or not.

There are a few phrases that I've learned to ignore in discussions here. "Customer service," "fit and finish," and "in-house" are just a few of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks novedl.... I will check them out. I will also look at the GW1000 that someone else recommended. Are the Suunto's durable like the Casio?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My brother bought the atomic version of the 130Y (1500Y) from amazon a couple years ago for $200. I went and looked and the price nearly quadrupled!!! That's my luck too!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thanks novedl.... I will check them out. I will also look at the GW1000 that someone else recommended. Are the Suunto's durable like the Casio?
I asked the same question some time ago, I was not surprised to hear the answer was an emphatic yes!
Suunto and Casio are competitors in the abc watch arena. IMO Casio makes a better timekeeper( more alarms, wold timers and such..) but suunto makes the better abc module and the x-lander is the ideal compromise between timekeeper and abc functionality(plus it just looks sweet;-))

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw a Suunto Core last year but the negative display didn't appear very readable. Are they all like that or does anyone know if they have improved?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts