WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: Tag Heuer content

Hello everyone,

For the past couple of weeks I had my eyes on the new Tag Aquaracer 300m. I want to know if anyone can comment on the calibre 5 movement quality and the overall fit and finish of the aquaracer.

I'm looking forward to buy a new watch at the end of the summer and the Aquaracer is a strong player on my short list. I'm also looking at the Oris Aquis line. I must say that I prefer the look of the Tag.

Thank you,

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
buying new, i'm gonna have to go with a no on this one. if you can, go and compare both of them side by side in a store. you'll see what i'm talking about when i say that the tag just doesnt enough, if anything at all, over the Aquis to justify the much bigger price tag.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Agree with most the above. Quality wise they're about equal, buying the Aquaracer new is fine though as long as it's through the gray market.

I also think the TAG is the better looking watch, no question. That gray dial is very nice, especially in the metal.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I got to play with similar Aquaracers at Jared Jewelers (the Galleria of Jewelery!) and I was pretty impressed with the watches. In addition, the prices were not that far off from Jomashop. For comparison purposes, Jomashop has had those Aquaracers for around $1,300- $1,450; Jared Jewelers (the Galleria of Jewelery!) had them for $1,700-$1,850. Apparently Tag had lowered their prices across the board sometime last year

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have had my Aquaracer WAN2111 for about a year and love it. I also have a Rolex Submariner 114060 and while the AR is not at that level I enjoy rotating between the two. The caliber 5 movement has been extremely accurate, within COSC standards. I received 23% off at the AD so I feel it has been good value for the money. My "first" swiss watch was a quartz AR I bought 7 years ago and is still going strong. Sold it to a buddy and he is still enjoying it. If you like the look and can get a good price I say go for it. At the end of the day, buy what YOU like. Mine says hello.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Assuming money is no object then buy what you like the looks of more but if it is you're going to pay up to 50% more for the auto Aquaracer. There's a reason the Aquis is hard to beat in the "quality to price ratio" department...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I much prefer the 500m with the black bezel over the steel bezel 300m. You can get one used for about 1300 bucks. Good watch for the money.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The Aquis is heavy and not comfortable for me design wise. Yes it feels more "solid" in comparison, but the AR however is very comfy. I for one found this to be a very big factor in day to day activities. The AR is much easier to wear, doesnt get in the way and looks quite good when worn. Especially if you like the look, then the AR is definitely a nice pick.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do make a big deal about that red rotor in their commercials...
I dont really care about the rotpr. Yes it's red, still plain looking.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Stainless bezel may be scratch magnet.
That was my fear when I picked up an Aquaracer chrono (which is quite a puck on the wrist), especially since the finishing on the bezel is so nice. However, it's generally been fine. There are a few light scratches, but nothing noticeable from the wrist. ymmv, of course, but for me at least it hasn't been the scratch magnet I expected.

Obviously, it's worse than what a ceramic bezel would look like, though.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There's definitely a premium price for the Tag...but I feel if commensurate with the design of the watch - much more aesthetically pleasing from every angle imaginable than the Oris. Quality wise I think the Tag is detailed to a higher level than the Oris but agree both will likely be comparable in terms of accuracy and reliability.

Cheers,
NM

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
thats a stunning watch, the quality and fit and finish is superb, i highly recomend it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just went to an AD. I'm really disappointed. The watch was great looking (especially the blue dial), but it didn't felt that expensive when I was holding it. The bracelet felt anemic and thin, the bezel was really easy to turn (in a bad way) and the watch was too light for my taste. For reference, I was wearing my Squale 20 atmos. Couldn't stop myself from comparing the TAG to the Squale. Some may say that I am crazy, but to me the Squale is a better watch fit and finsih wise (especially for the bracelet). I'm not saying that one should avoid the Aquaracer. If one wants a modern piece' then the AR is the way to go. In the end, I'm really starting to understand why some people say that Tag Heuer offering are overpriced for what they are.

P.S. I also own a Longines Hydroconquest. While it retails for less than the Tag, it's a better value...at least to me.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Well, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but a bunch of your complaints seem to be that the watch wasn't big or heavy enough. If you wanted heavy watch with a thick bracelet, why would you go look at the smallest Aquaracer? Part of the reason that watch exists is to be a sleeker, lighter counterpoint to the puck-like chronographs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts