WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,611 Posts
I get the feeling that there is some sort of stigma associated with Walmart over there that we're not feeling on this of the Pond so I can say that it wouldn't bother me. Over here Walmart own the ASDA supermarket chain and I guess I would have second thoughts about buying an expensive watch from the same place as I bought my pork pies.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
They sell a LOT of other high end brands as well, and no you are not going to find them in your neighborhood walmart store cos its their third party online vendor system to take on Amazons. They don't actually carry any of it outside a few Armitrons and Casios.

·
Registered
486 Posts
There is a stigma concerning Walmart here in the USA. IT is one of the very cheapest places to shop. I try not to shop there because I try to shop where they pay the employees a living wage
I shop at Whole Foods which has its own stigma of being the most expensive place to shop. But the help is well paid, very knowledgeable and (in my experience) quite a bit friendlier that at the mart.
That being said I did buy a window unit for one of my rent houses and it was 50 bucks cheaper than Home Depot.
On the other hand there seem to be many attractive women shoppers wearing yoga pants at Whole Foods, and I am, after all, quite shallow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,697 Posts
Does this bother or deter you in the slightest? Kinda does for me tbh. Petty I know but thats a lot of $$ to spend on a watch available at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tag-Heuer-Aquaracer-Automatic-Mens-Watch-WAY211A-BA0928/180672181
I don't see much difference between buying an expensive watch at a discount retail department store and a grey market watch seller. The buyer is attracted by price at both stores. If WalMart was actually selling high end watches they would likely come with a factory warranty.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Yeah, there's a stigma at Wal-Mart in America. Just google "meanwhile at wal-mart" to see for yourself. Stateside WM is an interesting place...

As for the Tag, yeah, who cares. We're all motivated by price (if this wasn't the case then why is so much discussion about GM sellers, buying used, black freday deals, etc. on the forums) and if you can find a legit seller offering a watch at a good price buy the dang thing.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Members have posted pics of rolex watches at costco

Same same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
40,902 Posts
Why on earth would it bother anyone?

If they started selling Porsches would you decide never to buy one because it's an awful lot to spend on a car you can get at Wallmart.

Not petty - just very strange decision making IMO.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am guilty of this as well but if a certain bargain store has exactly what you are looking for at a cheaper price, why should it matter? I know...it's the thought of saying that you got it at this particular store that is troublesome. But if it saves you a good chunk of change...why not?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
As mentioned earlier, Walmart does not sell them. There are many things on the Walmart website that you would never see in a store (Search Omega Seamaster on that same site and see the results).

As for a Stigma being attatched to Walmart here in the states...Hell yeah there is. That's because it is THE MOST DEPRESSING PLACE IN THE WORLD

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
As mentioned earlier, Walmart does not sell them. There are many things on the Walmart website that you would never see in a store (Search Omega Seamaster on that same site and see the results).

As for a Stigma being attatched to Walmart here in the states...Hell yeah there is. That's because it is THE MOST DEPRESSING PLACE IN THE WORLD
Ha. I don't see it that way at all. They have so many departments and services in their stores. Even professional services. Eateries and cafes. Plus they have the best selection of inexpensive watches anywhere. The kind of "fashion" watches that higher priced department stores sell are probably exactly the same that Walmart sells. The only difference is the lack of the brand name on the dial. They also have a good selection of Timex and Casio. They have everything. I actually find most jewelry stores to be kind of depressing, but that's just my opinion I guess.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Ha. I don't see it that way at all. They have so many departments and services in their stores. Even professional services. Eateries and cafes. Plus they have the best selection of inexpensive watches anywhere. The kind of "fashion" watches that higher priced department stores sell are probably exactly the same that Walmart sells. The only difference is the lack of the brand name on the dial. They also have a good selection of Timex and Casio. They have everything. I actually find most jewelry stores to be kind of depressing, but that's just my opinion I guess.

I'm sure it varies from store to store. My particular local Walmart is chock full of the stereotypes you see in the memes. Bellies bulging out of the bottom of a dirty T-shirt seems to be the general dress code, and shoes are optional apparently. Compound that with the occasional person I went to high school with working there. They usually avert their eyes, but they can't hide the look of crushed hopes and dreams on their faces.

It doesn't help too that they cleared a large swath of nature to build this so called "Super"store, while closing the Walmart that had been here for ages that actually served a legitimate purpose in the community. It had a large sporting goods/outdoor department that sold a large variety of ammo and had employees with knowledge who actually cared about the products they were selling.

·
Registered
13,121 Posts
Would it bother me if luxury watches were sold at Walmart?

No. I would love to shop for a high-end watch without all of the hoity-toity, extraneous, unnecessary and stuffy policies of ADs or boutiques like shoes, shirt, pants and just all around decent behavior and hygiene.

"Yes, please do ring up my case of Keystone Light with my Rolex Sky Dweller. Can you assure me that this watch has never been in anybody's underpants? Do you have one with Duck Dynasty on it?" - while scratching my butt cheek and arm pit simultaneously.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts