• Tag: CV2014.BA0794

Votes: 99 52.9%
  • Longines: L3.636.4.50.6

Votes: 88 47.1%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is my Golana Terra Pro, which reminds me a lot of the Longines (When I have the funds, looking to pick that one up).

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/longskate87/P1010280.jpg

I've tried on the Tag before, and the bracelet was really thin for being attached to such a thick watch. They've come out with a new bracelet that's .5mm thicker, so I would look into that if you decide on the Tag. The bracelets are different, the Longines is probably more blingy due to the larger polished area. I can't speak on the movements.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I own the Carrera and I've seen the Grand Vitesse in person. My vote goes for the Carrera. Although the bracelet is a bit on the narrow side, it is by no means "cheap" or "cheap-like". It is very solid and the clasp is excellent. It is extremely comfortable on my wrist. The Grand Vitesse is nice too but just can't compare to Tag.

I would suggest looking into the Carrera Day-Date.

·
Registered
71 Posts
These are the exact two watches I considered and ended up with the Carrera. If you do get the BA0794 braclet, it will be plenty thick enough for this watch and DEFINETLY does not feel cheap. The Carrera has a great combination of classy/sporty looks that pictures do not do justice. I liked the Grand Vitesse but the feel of the TAG was perfect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would pick the Tag. The big "12" on the Longines looks out of place. I do like the Day Date Tag too but it's a bit more expensive. What about the Link Chrono? The bracelet on the link is one of my most comfortable around. In fact, it is my most comfortable watch of the bunch.

Another watch that you can look at is the Oris Formula F1 Team 2008. It uses the same ETA 7750 movement as the Tag and Longines. Also you can get great deals on Oris if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I like the GrandVitesse's textured bezel and pushers, and the fact that the markers are more legible. I do, however, like the Tag's applied markers and cleaner dial, and its angular shape is a bit more distinctive. Neither are served justice by pics, honestly, the Longines for example has a subtle starburst brushed texture to the dial (think JLC master). For me it would probably be the Longines to save a few hundred, and since it's sportier -- I have loads of dress watches. But choose based on your personal taste.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Both are really nice watches, though seeing them up close first hand, the Carrera has just a bit more appeal to me. Still, you can't go wrong with either.

I actually ordered the Carrera above, but before it arrived at the AD, I changed the order to an Omega SMP Chrono since they were not that far apart price-wise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh no! Why'd you do that?! Carrera is far better than SMP IMO. If you have an Omega diving watch get the PO! :roll:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but both Tag Carrera and Omega SMP Chrono are around the mid $2000's range, while the PO Chrono is double that amount at my local AD. The SMP Chrono also came with a COSC cert. I actually held a poll at another forum, and the Omega SMP won over the Tag Carrera by a 5-1 ratio. I might get the Tag at a future date, but for now I'm content with the Omega.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Carrera is built more beautifully and there's more detail put into the watch. I've tried the Longines, it's a very nice piece but there's some rough edges in the lug area which 'cheapen' the feel of the watch. The crystal in the carrera is also appear to be thicker.
Oris is another one to consider, very2 nice watch considering the price point.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I initially tried on the TAG and put it down straight away. It is very chunky, it took me awhile to convince myself that my small wrists could carry such a deep watch

Now I love it, all my other watches feel puny and cheap compared to it

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had to make the same choice, thought about it for a long time and considered all cons & pros, but eventually went for the TAG Heuer Carrera. I feel the Carrera has a better looking dial because the Longines has that ovious red 12 thing.

They are both beautifull and both using the Valjoux 7750 movement, but TAG is more expensive. You wouldnt go wrong buying any of these, i think you would be happy with TAG or Longines :)

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I think you'd be happy with either. You obviously like them both, and I have to admit, though I'm not AT ALL a fan of any Tag, the Carrera I handled was actually a decent piece, which surprised the heck out of me. Never handled the Longines, but I voted for it because of my bias against Tag, which is based on a very poor past experience with ownership of a Foruma1, handling of others are the local Jared, and my extreme dislike for such mass produced and over advertised watch companies.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts