WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Recently have just purchased a TAG Heuer 6000 WH1212 Mid Size.

I've always been a fan of the 6000 series because of Ayrton Senna. My father gave me his 1991 S/EL Chrono when I first started showing interest in watches. I've been daily wearing the 91' S/EL Chrono on leather or the original bracelet for almost 10 years! Seeing Senna wear the 6000 series towards the end of his life, made me want to get one. I've actually had his 6000 series watch in my hands before. Had a look at it in a F1 Studio years ago.

A WH1212 popped up for sale on local classifieds and had to jump on it. It is on it's way currently and am excited!

Does anyone know where you can find 6000 straps/buckles/bracelets without paying more than the watch for it? I've been hunting all morning and everything is more expensive than the actual watch I purchased, crazy right?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The 6000 series had phenomenally engineered bracelets with a couple hundred parts or so to make up one and are very well made. An OEM stainless steel bracelet from TAG at an AD was $750 back about 20 years ago so they are quite expensive. I can't imagine you'd be able to find a full bracelet in great shape with all links for less than you probably paid for the watch. It definitely is crazy but that's how it is with this model line.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 6000 series had phenomenally engineered bracelets with a couple hundred parts or so to make up one and are very well made. An OEM stainless steel bracelet from TAG at an AD was $750 back about 20 years ago so they are quite expensive. I can't imagine you'd be able to find a full bracelet in great shape with all links for less than you probably paid for the watch. It definitely is crazy but that's how it is with this model line.
For sure! The 6000 bracelets were sure incredible. I've got the watch in hand now and a 18mm leather strap should go on it no problem. My watch has drilled lug holes and I cannot for the life of me get a strap to fit. The lug holes are drilled so far back. Super frustrating. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I just checked my 6000s and none of them have drilled lugs and the holes for the springbars are really close to the ends of the lugs. If you notice the picture you posted above (same version as one of mine) it does not have drilled lugs. And if you check Calibre11.com's "The Ultimate Collector's Guide" to the 6000, none of the pictures show drilled lugs. Is it possible the one you have was modified to add the holes and they drilled them way too far back to fit an odd strap they liked and happened to have?

Post pictures of it. Maybe that will provide more info.

Note my avatar picture is one of my 6000s. A practically pristine one which was the last one I bought before I switched back to Seiko. I really like it but it's small in comparison to the dive watches I like more nowadays as well as quartz meaning I have to change batteries too often (the older you get, the faster time goes it seems so battery changes happen more frequently than they used to!) The solar, Kinetic and autos are better for not having to open them up every couple of years.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked my 6000s and none of them have drilled lugs and the holes for the springbars are really close to the ends of the lugs. If you notice the picture you posted above (same version as one of mine) it does not have drilled lugs. And if you check Calibre11.com's "The Ultimate Collector's Guide" to the 6000, none of the pictures show drilled lugs. Is it possible the one you have was modified to add the holes and they drilled them way too far back to fit an odd strap they liked and happened to have?

Post pictures of it. Maybe that will provide more info.

Note my avatar picture is one of my 6000s. A practically pristine one which was the last one I bought before I switched back to Seiko. I really like it but it's small in comparison to the dive watches I like more nowadays as well as quartz meaning I have to change batteries too often (the older you get, the faster time goes it seems so battery changes happen more frequently than they used to!) The solar, Kinetic and autos are better for not having to open them up every couple of years.
Thanks for your info! I’m talking about the lugs drilled on the inside of the lugs, not all the way through like Rolex does on older models. TAG started drilling 6000 lugs to accommodate regular spring bar straps as per that article you linked above. My watch has the screws and inner lugs drilled but they are very far in towards the case which is making a strap very hard to install. I do not believe my watch to be modified as many 6000s have the exact same thing. Lots of people online with the inner drilled lugs have aftermarket straps on their 6000s somehow and I’d love to know their tips/tricks. I will post a photo of my drilled inner lugs this evening when I’m home.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the watch in question. Inner lug holes are drilled very close to where the screws are.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Interesting. I have a WH1115 which is the same thing but different color (blue) and I have the bracelet. The spring bar holes look to be in the same location so I don't think your watch is any different.

Also interesting is that my watch does not have the screws yours does. My end links are not drilled and I don't believe there are screws under them. I see now I have never removed the bracelet off this watch and it's a bear to get to the pins so I'm not going to now (my spring bar tweezers are too wide to fit into the opening so I'd have to use another tool and don't want to scratch it up.)

Searching the internet shows some with screwed end links (actually a cover plate I think) and some without. I wonder if the screwed end link plates are for those watches that came with straps instead of bracelets to cover up the gap or to hold the strap in place (I'm not a strap guy so have never had this situation.)

So maybe you're missing the end link cover?

Regardless, you should be able to get a spring bar into the strap loop put one end into a hole, compress the other side of the spring bar and push the strap down into the opening and they should snap in to place. Maybe the screws are in the way? Take them out and try putting the strap in place. If so, you're missing the cover piece that screws into place?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I have a WH1115 which is the same thing but different color (blue) and I have the bracelet. The spring bar holes look to be in the same location so I don't think your watch is any different.

Also interesting is that my watch does not have the screws yours does. My end links are not drilled and I don't believe there are screws under them. I see now I have never removed the bracelet off this watch and it's a bear to get to the pins so I'm not going to now (my spring bar tweezers are too wide to fit into the opening so I'd have to use another tool and don't want to scratch it up.)

Searching the internet shows some with screwed end links (actually a cover plate I think) and some without. I wonder if the screwed end link plates are for those watches that came with straps instead of bracelets to cover up the gap or to hold the strap in place (I'm not a strap guy so have never had this situation.)

So maybe you're missing the end link cover?

View attachment 15870330

Regardless, you should be able to get a spring bar into the strap loop put one end into a hole, compress the other side of the spring bar and push the strap down into the opening and they should snap in to place. Maybe the screws are in the way? Take them out and try putting the strap in place. If so, you're missing the cover piece that screws into place?
Thank you for your info! I was able to make my own curved spring bars, as per another thread I found on WUSForums. Seems like a curved end strap with curved spring bars works for these weirdly far back drilled inner lugs. Going to order a nice black curved end crocodile leather with curved spring bars and get a TAG buckle for the strap!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts