WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know its a strange request, but has anybody any pics or come across any pics showing an aquaracer 500m next to a fairly well known reference diver such as an omega smp or rolex sub? Or even anything else fairly well known...I've searched but can't really see anything other than wrist shots which are fine but I'm looking for a reference.

Trying to get an idea of size with this thing...how it would wear etc. It seems very chunky and usually I like my absolute max at 42mm/13mm ish but might be willing to make an exception on this particular watch :)

I've a 7" ish wrist size if that makes any difference but don't like big watches, 39mm-42mm is perfect size.....the 45mm Omega PO is a clown sized watch imo...that might upset some people but thats the way I feel about the oversized craze recently.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I've owned all three (Sub,Seamaster, 500M). The Seamaster and Sub are very comparable in size and feel. The 500M is slightly thicker but not cumbersome by any means on my <7" wrist. I have the Ti 500M so weight is similar as well. I think the chunky look is based mainly on the agressive bezel design.

Here are some wrist shots:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant, you're a gem :-! thats exactly the sort of size reference I was looking for. I love the look of the 500m just had it in my mind that it might be a bit big wearing. It seems quite a decent wearable size in your pics. Hmm I might just have to get myself one of them now!
Nice collection btw :-!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Brilliant, you're a gem :-! thats exactly the sort of size reference I was looking for. I love the look of the 500m just had it in my mind that it might be a bit big wearing. It seems quite a decent wearable size in your pics. Hmm I might just have to get myself one of them now!
Nice collection btw :-!
Thanks,

I've added a few comparison shots. It doesn't wear much larger but yo will notice the crown sticks out a bit further than the Sub.

The 45mm PO definitely wears much larger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks,

I've added a few comparison shots. It doesn't wear much larger but yo will notice the crown sticks out a bit further than the Sub.

The 45mm PO definitely wears much larger.
Wow, now that's service! Nice photos.

I'd like to add that I have small wrists....get ready..... 6.25". And I have a Seamaster Pro that I think looks great on my wrist. I just went back to my AD last night and put hold $$ down on their only Full-black Aquaracer 500m, and spent time with it on my wrist, and while it's just a wee bit chunkier than the SMP it doesn't wear larger or look awkward on me. Your wrists are bigger than mine, so I'd expect the 500m would look even more natural and right-sized on your wrist than it does on mine. And I hate the oversized-watch look, so if the 500m looked at all like it was too big, I would have run the other direction. So I think you'll be fine. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers bcgator, that is a great help as I have an smp and I find the fit is perfect so the 500m is looking like an excellent next aquisition :)

@ Wisconsin, only seeing the extra pics you put in now! Wow, thanks a million, they're superb. That really reinforces my idea of where it stands as regards size. Excellent stuff....excellent forum! Thanks guys, gonna have to get one now :-!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
From left to right: blue bond quartz SMP, blue cal 5 TAG 500m, 42mm PO. The 500m wears noticeably larger than both Omegas, mainly due to the big crown and guard (as Wisconsin Proud already stated) but also the lugs, the wider bezel, and the overall thickness (especially compared with the regular SMP). But it's still a good fit for my 7" wrist. The 500m is a proper diver, and I really love it. I think you will too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent Pics JarrodS ;-)
I really didn't think when I posted this today that I'd get any comparative pics even close to what I asked but you and Wisconsin pulled out all the stops, great stuff.

It looks chunkier, no doubt about that, I don't mind the big crown so much, as for the extra height and bezel thickness, it's not much higher or wider than the 42mm PO, well it is a little but not excessively, and I've tried on the 42mm PO many times and quite like the fit so I'm definitely thinking about picking up the 500m after looking at the pics, looks great!

I suppose the ultimate test will be to go to an AD and try one on but havent got round to doing that yet or even if I will get a chance. I've had a decent price presented to me for a new unused one so will have to sleep on it but It looks a very nice watch on these pics. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
it's not much higher or wider than the 42mm PO, well it is a little but not excessively, and I've tried on the 42mm PO many times and quite like the fit so I'm definitely thinking about picking up the 500m after looking at the pics, looks great!
I was glad to help out with the pics.

You are right about the thickness vs. the PO. The 500m is not much thicker if you compare them at the crystal. Still, it definitely feels wider and thicker to me on the wrist than the 42mm PO. Besides the crown, I think this has mainly to do with the chunkier bezel on the TAG, and the way the bezel and lugs are tapered downward on the PO but are straight on the TAG. I love the crown on the 500m - the large size makes it easy to use.

·
3,261 Posts
what a cool and helpful thread ! Thanks WP and J !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a current 500m owner and a soon-to-be PO 42mm PO owner (arrives Monday!), these are really interesting pics, and definitley validated my decision to get the 42 over the 45. Thanks for these...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd just like to say thanks again for the great pics guys, they were a fantastic help!

Anyway have gone ahead with my purchase, it should be here next week sometime. Just a further quick question if anyone might know. I've obviously bought it on the steel strap. And wanted to acquire the oem rubber at some stage as an additional strap for summer etc, but then I went and looked at the prices! My god! You could get quite a decent watch for the price of the 500m rubber! So my question is...how well does the 500m go on aftermarket straps? Is there an issue with spring bar holes being too far from the case that may make the fit not quite pleasing to the eye or something? I've never heard of it on anything other than the OEM straps. And that end metal piece on the rubber looks, well lets just say its the only part of the watch that 'throws' the look somewhat for me! Is this piece necessary to attach any strap or would a good thick aftermarket rubber/leather/sailcloth etc go on as normal?

If thats the way it has to be so be it. But its a pity because I like mucking about with aftermarket straps of all types on my watches(yes even divers! :) ). It can make a vastly different look. Sometimes much worse but on occasions it can look great.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
. And that end metal piece on the rubber looks, well lets just say its the only part of the watch that 'throws' the look somewhat for me! Is this piece necessary to attach any strap or would a good thick aftermarket rubber/leather/sailcloth etc go on as normal?

If thats the way it has to be so be it. But its a pity because I like mucking about with aftermarket straps of all types on my watches(yes even divers! :) ). It can make a vastly different look. Sometimes much worse but on occasions it can look great.
Looking at my 500M, the springbar holes do appear to be near the ends of the lugs. Hard to say how much gap would be left after adding a thick strap and it depends on your tolerance of said gap.

Like you, the lug piece didn't connect with me when I first saw these watches ont he net but after seeing these in person with the attachment I found that the look ties the watch together quite well and it stands out as being different from other divers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
funny i was considering to buy an smp but i didn't mainly because i didn't like how thin it felt on my hand, so i choose the 500m. i like a watch with a certain weight and volume.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the input earlier on the aquaracer. Received it today and very happy with it. Pretty chunky but fits well. Really impressed with the bracelet aswell. Will try some straps in time but happy on steel for a while. Watch is quartz which is what I need at the moment as an everyday watch. Couple shots below, shoulda cleared the dust out of the way before I took them ;) Hard watch to picture the colour of blue correctly, I like it though, looks very matte, which is what I wanted.
Will try picture on different straps when I get round to fitting but for now just a few shots of the dial...

DSCF1425resize.jpg
DSCF1426resize.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts