WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

43mm of pure beauty, with its black leather strap and silver dial, the TAG Heuer Carrera 1887 won the ChronoAward 2012 in the "Business Class" category (timepieces up to 5000 EUR) in Austria. The award was remitted during a ceremony in Vienna on November 16th.

Award Event Technology Business White-collar worker

ChronoAward is a Horlogerie competition animated by Austria's top Business Magazines Trend and Format.

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
The 1887 is impressive!

Reactions: enricodepaoli

·
Registered
335 Posts
it's obvious the Aussies have poor taste in watches............. :)
What's Aussies got to do with this article:-s. Am I missing something ?

TAGheuer is one is widely available in Australia and they are sold in many local shopping centre along with with other entry level luxury brands. If poor taste means true higher end brands are less favored by the Aussies then that is prob true.

ps. Just read the article again, the award was held in in AUSTRIA, (not australia where Aussies are from). Now it makes a bit more sense lol.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I really wish Tag Heuer would produce a model true to the original roots of the 1964 Carrera.

The Carrera 1887 is I guess as close as they are going to get. Proportions are not quite right.

Reactions: enricodepaoli

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I really wish Tag Heuer would produce a model true to the original roots of the 1964 Carrera.

The Carrera 1887 is I guess as close as they are going to get. Proportions are not quite right.
I know what you mean.
I would love a 39mm 1887 Carrera; then the chrono pushers wouldn't look ever so slightly too small like they currently do.
Although, if it was 39mm and still had the rather portly 16mm case height, it'd look even more wrong.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Too bad that as much as the watch industry is recognising what TAGHeuer are doing, the brand snobs never will.
I made this up a while back and I keep really wanting to use it in my sig.

I had to read that twice. Being familiar with you as a poster and probably the most vocal poster in defense of Tag on WUS I knew what you were going for the second time I read it. However, I have to caution you before using that as your Signature that is also reads as "(We are) annoying watch snobs..." as in declaring that Tag Heuer are watch snobs. Just letting you know!

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Ok.
To begin with, I do not blindly defend TAGHeuer out of some sort of fan-boy principle. What I do defend against are silly, biased, un-based and usually downright wrong things leveled against them, just as I do when the same is aimed at any brand.

If it seems like I do it more for TAG Heuer then that only goes to show how often they get "attacked". If you look, I don't add my voice when someone states a preference for another brand, only when they say something that is incorrect or, more usually, equally applicable to their preferred choice.

And yes, I know the possible second reading. It doesn't matter as according to some, people oly buy TAGHeuer because they want to show off.
But yeah, I probably should add "the" in there.

I had to read that twice. Being familiar with you as a poster and probably the most vocal poster in defense of Tag on WUS I knew what you were going for the second time I read it. However, I have to caution you before using that as your Signature that is also reads as "(We are) annoying watch snobs..." as in declaring that Tag Heuer are watch snobs. Just letting you know!

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
I take it you are annoyed... does any one else see the irony? LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok.
To begin with, I do not blindly defend TAGHeuer out of some sort of fan-boy principle. What I do defend against are silly, biased, un-based and usually downright wrong things leveled against them, just as I do when the same is aimed at any brand.

If it seems like I do it more for TAG Heuer then that only goes to show how often they get "attacked". If you look, I don't add my voice when someone states a preference for another brand, only when they say something that is incorrect or, more usually, equally applicable to their preferred choice.

And yes, I know the possible second reading. It doesn't matter as according to some, people oly buy TAGHeuer because they want to show off.
But yeah, I probably should add "the" in there.
Okay. I think you misinterpreted the tone of that post. I wasn't attacking you and I NEVER said "blindly defends." I only meant that you are usually the voice of reason (sometimes) when people occasionally unfairly judge a TAGHeuer. The only reason I mentioned that is to explain why I got the intended meaning of your created potential Signature.

My apologies. Almost never do I correct grammar on WUS because there are MANY international users who do not speak English as a first language. The only reason I mentioned something here is because you spoke your interest in using it as a signature and I thought it might be misinterpreted by those not partial to Tag.

I realize it's hard to judge tone on writing and especially on an internet forum where opinions often vary, but it's that snap-defensive attitude that usually makes you seem more one-sided and stubborn than you actually, in-reality, are.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I take it you are annoyed... does any one else see the irony? LOL
Definitely not annoyed^^

As a literature/linguistics major, I just noticed the potential misinterpretation and pointed it out. I honestly wasn't trying to be critical of either DM or Tag.

However, while it does bother me slightly that you came to the conclusion that I was annoyed because of the pre-existing second meaning in his created signature, I understand why you may have thought that. But if you read again what I was pointing out and realize that that is not my opinion but just one of the two possible meanings that one could derive from the signature, than you will see that I am not bashing anyone or anything. I would expect a higher level of reasoning power from a moderator.

In fact, although I am not a Tag owner, I think their designs are some of the best out there. I've been looking at the Carrera for years because I love the slim bezel, but recent problems of QC (with the AR) and the deal with the 1887 movement admittedly caused some hesitation. Believe it or not, I peruse the TAG forum because I like them.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
And I think you misinterpreted the tone of my post.
For some reason, there is a tendency to equate posts of more than three lines of text as an indicator of a certain tone when the reality is, in my case at least, simply for the sake of clarity.

My use of "blindly" in the previous post was to differentiate myself from those that I would say do just that, either for or against a certain brand. Of course, you may not agree with that claim and if you don't, please feel free to say so.

You say I am perhaps stubborn. I can only admit that I am but then again, as I say, I only usually voice in a certain manner when something is truly being mis-represented. If the other party fails to illustrate how they aren't wrong and insists on arguing their false statement/claim, how fair is it to point out my stubbornness?
For example, if someone insists that 2x2=5, telling them it doesn't, isn't being stubborn, is it?
Of course, I am aware that what I am telling them 2x2 as being might also be wrong but that is the point of discussion, no? To demonstrate how and why something is as you claim it to be.

·
Registered
209 Posts
And I think you misinterpreted the tone of my post.
For some reason, there is a tendency to equate posts of more than three lines of text as an indicator of a certain tone when the reality is, in my case at least, simply for the sake of clarity.

My use of "blindly" in the previous post was to differentiate myself from those that I would say do just that, either for or against a certain brand. Of course, you may not agree with that claim and if you don't, please feel free to say so.

You say I am perhaps stubborn. I can only admit that I am but then again, as I say, I only usually voice in a certain manner when something is truly being mis-represented. If the other party fails to illustrate how they aren't wrong and insists on arguing their false statement/claim, how fair is it to point out my stubbornness?
For example, if someone insists that 2x2=5, telling them it doesn't, isn't being stubborn, is it?
Of course, I am aware that what I am telling them 2x2 as being might also be wrong but that is the point of discussion, no? To demonstrate how and why something is as you claim it to be.
Ok, it's not about tone anymore, it's about simple reading. I didn't say you were stubborn (I think that's the only word you saw?). After reading your previous post, I (mis?)interpreted your tone as being very defensive and you started throwing around terms like "blindly defending," I said something to the effects of "when your knee-jerk reaction is to be defensive, it makes you seem more stubborn that you, in reality, are.

Let me break it down for you......

Most likely, you are a fairly objective person and I know from reading your previous posts that you are a passionate and knowledgeable WIS that I respect on this forum. Occasionally, an uneducated member may post something about TAG or some other watch brand that you feel for and it emotion may play into that a bit. As a result, you sometimes post something that sounds very defensive (like in our example) and it makes you seem more stubborn that you are. C'mon, EVERYONE is a little stubborn and set in their ways, but I wasn't calling you a stubborn/hard-headed person.

"You say I am perhaps stubborn."

In any case, that's neither he nor there and I think the misunderstanding about the signature has been resolved, so let's leave it at that.

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
Definitely not annoyed^^

As a literature/linguistics major, I just noticed the potential misinterpretation and pointed it out. I honestly wasn't trying to be critical of either DM or Tag.

However, while it does bother me slightly that you came to the conclusion that I was annoyed because of the pre-existing second meaning in his created signature, I understand why you may have thought that. But if you read again what I was pointing out and realize that that is not my opinion but just one of the two possible meanings that one could derive from the signature, than you will see that I am not bashing anyone or anything. I would expect a higher level of reasoning power from a moderator.

In fact, although I am not a Tag owner, I think their designs are some of the best out there. I've been looking at the Carrera for years because I love the slim bezel, but recent problems of QC (with the AR) and the deal with the 1887 movement admittedly caused some hesitation. Believe it or not, I peruse the TAG forum because I like them.
Ah, you were not annoyed. I didn't realize you were a linguist. Most of the commentary here is not at that level. Sorry if I irritated. I did not mean to appear obtuse to your pedantry. But I guess I was.

On your other points -

As an engineer I note QC failures do occur. TAG's test was what did they do about that. They admitted and fixed. That passes the test for me.

"the deal with the 1887 movement" must mean TAG bought rights to the movement from Seiko. As a diletante in Horology I note this is in the normal evolution of watch movements. Makers usually buy the rights holder, buy rights, or use rights which have expired when building new movements.

All movements are evolutions of previous movements until there is a technology shift (like quartz). Somewhere in the forum is a post from the CEO of TAGHeuer on the improvements they made from the original Seiko design (which used original Heuer designs...).

TAG's initial PR on the 1887 was misleading, making claims of new invention... But the CEO did step in and correct his PR folks. (Unlike Seiko's PR which has never admitted the ancestry of the Spring Drive... but that doesn't keep me from buying Seikos.)

Buy a TAG if you like it. Then you can post a nice wrist shot :) and we can share your elation.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I honestly have to say I am not entirely sure why you and others have said that I post defensively.

I have always been taught that anything I say should have evidence to support it and thus, when I make a point, I provide evidence. Perhaps this is what is seen as being defensive. Again, without meaning to sound critical of others, I just prefer not to make empty claims. Maybe it's an affliction from my profession where I have to be able to demonstrate the reasoning behind every design decision.
I would say I know my insistence on making my points clear, does add to how I feel about those that do not.
On the proverbial flip-side, do you think I should simply say to those I respond to something along the lines of "nope, you're wrong" and then leave it at that?

As I said before, my posts that may be longer than the average is no indication of anything other than just me wanting to be thorough in explaining my points in order to avoid needless argument and instead develop into more productive discussion.

I should thank you for your rather flattering opinion of my presence on the forums although I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the WIS thing though...

I am not really one to put myself a labelled box like that. I am many things and I like many things. All too often, especially with the younger crowd it seems they are all too eager to fine themselves by their possessions and their interests.
Well, that isn't me but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

Edit.
Justice a thought. If you imagine my posts said with a British accent, does it make a difference to how it comes across?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I honestly have to say I am not entirely sure why you and others have said that I post defensively.

I have always been taught that anything I say should have evidence to support it and thus, when I make a point, I provide evidence. Perhaps this is what is seen as being defensive. Again, without meaning to sound critical of others, I just prefer not to make empty claims. Maybe it's an affliction from my profession where I have to be able to demonstrate the reasoning behind every design decision.
I would say I know my insistence on making my points clear, does add to how I feel about those that do not.
On the proverbial flip-side, do you think I should simply say to those I respond to something along the lines of "nope, you're wrong" and then leave it at that?

As I said before, my posts that may be longer than the average is no indication of anything other than just me wanting to be thorough in explaining my points in order to avoid needless argument and instead develop into more productive discussion.

I should thank you for your rather flattering opinion of my presence on the forums although I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the WIS thing though...

I am not really one to put myself a labelled box like that. I am many things and I like many things. All too often, especially with the younger crowd it seems they are all too eager to fine themselves by their possessions and their interests.
Well, that isn't me but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

Edit.
Justice a thought. If you imagine my posts said with a British accent, does it make a difference to how it comes across?
In all honesty, it could just be your writing style which people misinterpret as being defensive, but now at least I know that you are indeed not taking a defensive attitude.

I imagine that if everything were spoken in a smooth British accent everything would sound quite nice :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ah, you were not annoyed. I didn't realize you were a linguist. Most of the commentary here is not at that level. Sorry if I irritated. I did not mean to appear obtuse to your pedantry. But I guess I was.

On your other points -

As an engineer I note QC failures do occur. TAG's test was what did they do about that. They admitted and fixed. That passes the test for me.

"the deal with the 1887 movement" must mean TAG bought rights to the movement from Seiko. As a diletante in Horology I note this is in the normal evolution of watch movements. Makers usually buy the rights holder, buy rights, or use rights which have expired when building new movements.

All movements are evolutions of previous movements until there is a technology shift (like quartz). Somewhere in the forum is a post from the CEO of TAGHeuer on the improvements they made from the original Seiko design (which used original Heuer designs...).

TAG's initial PR on the 1887 was misleading, making claims of new invention... But the CEO did step in and correct his PR folks. (Unlike Seiko's PR which has never admitted the ancestry of the Spring Drive... but that doesn't keep me from buying Seikos.)

Buy a TAG if you like it. Then you can post a nice wrist shot :) and we can share your elation.
Correct on all accounts, Eeeb. Granted all companies run into bouts of QC issues, it was just bad timing for me and TAG as the QC and me hearing about the 1887 came around the same time. I think I'm ready to put some confidence back in TAG, so that's why I'm on the TAG forum these days.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I have to say that if you are interested in the 1887 try it on more than once. Also, wear your most worn watch and you favourite watch on those try outs for useful size comparisons.

The Carrera is a very thick watch. It is 16mm and maybe even a 16.something.
As I point out when-ever someone is thinking about a Carrera, the all polished finish, pretty as it is, is a scratch magnet and every scratch shows.

At this moment in time, I should also remind that there is a new movement due for next year to consider. Of course, holding out for longer these days means dealing with price rises.
If I was looking now, I don't think I could stomach what they are asking for a 41mm 1887.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts