WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired this TAG Heuer Formula One Chronograph. Seller say the battery was dead, so I went replace it.

The watch is running after replacing the battery but the chronograph function does not seem to be working as it should be.

When the start button is pressed, the white marker and the top right dial moves. The red marker is supposed to move after the white marker passes 1 minute, but it is not moving at all.

I tried to reset it and it wouldn't move from the 6 mark. Only the white marker and the two top dials cannot be reset.

As seen in this photo, the white mark resets to 12 mark but the red marker remains at 6 mark.

In this photo, the white marker is moving and so is the small marker on the right dial.

Could it be the battery is not replaced properly or any other possible reason? Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi there,

Have you checked the split or lap functions?? The movement can always be replaced, realtively easy task. You can probably pick up a new movement for $40-$60.

Regs

Bry

·
Registered
836 Posts
I recently acquired this TAG Heuer Formula One Chronograph. Seller say the battery was dead, so I went replace it.

The watch is running after replacing the battery but the chronograph function does not seem to be working as it should be.

When the start button is pressed, the white marker and the top right dial moves. The red marker is supposed to move after the white marker passes 1 minute, but it is not moving at all.

I tried to reset it and it wouldn't move from the 6 mark. Only the white marker and the two top dials cannot be reset.

As seen in this photo, the white mark resets to 12 mark but the red marker remains at 6 mark.

In this photo, the white marker is moving and so is the small marker on the right dial.

Could it be the battery is not replaced properly or any other possible reason? Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Have you tried letting the elasped second hand (white) run for more than a minute. The red hand is the elasped minute hand. It will only move after the 1st minute. If it does move, then you just need to reset the zero position for the elaspsed minuted hand ( RED) If this is the case, PM me and I'll let you know how to reset it. Cheers, David

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, yes the split function is working fine, just the red marker does not move at all even after a few minutes of the chronograph running. It cannot be reset too.

Where can I get the movement and is there any instructions to replace it? Thanks!

Hi there,

Have you checked the split or lap functions?? The movement can always be replaced, realtively easy task. You can probably pick up a new movement for $40-$60.

Regs

Bry

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I did let it run/ elasped for a couple of minutes but the red hand is still not moving. Yes, I tried to reset the red hand but it did not work. The rest were fine when I reset them.
Thanks!

Have you tried letting the elasped second hand (white) run for more than a minute. The red hand is the elasped minute hand. It will only move after the 1st minute. If it does move, then you just need to reset the zero position for the elaspsed minuted hand ( RED) If this is the case, PM me and I'll let you know how to reset it. Cheers, David

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I did let it run/ elasped for a couple of minutes but the red hand is still not moving. Yes, I tried to reset the red hand but it did not work. The rest were fine when I reset them.
Thanks!

Hi neogeek & all,

I'm having a very similar issue to you.

I have a concern of my new Tag Aquaracer Quartz Chronograph (model caf1111 shown in www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/aquaracer/man/quartz-chronograph/index.lbl?w=CAF1111.BA0803). Was hoping someone can assist here:

(1) My 12 hour chronograph (on the 10 o'clock position) has not moved once. Looked in the instruction manual and did not give any explanation why? I tried many combinations of unscrewing the crown to all positions and everything else with the A & B buttons, but to no avail.

(2) the 1/10 second chronograph (on the 2 o'clock position)does not move manually either. Only when I reset it with the B button does it move. how often does it move anyways? Is it supposed to be 10 rotations per second?

If anyone can please assist here, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure if the watch is faulty here (doubt it since I got it a few weeks ago and purchased in Macys NYC). i really cant figure out why those two chronographs do not move.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I have not recevied any replies that would help in the solving the problem. Sending it to TAG Heuer to repair is not really worthit because the watch is rather old.

As for you, I would recommend that you bring back to the place you purchase to get it fixed since it is under warranty still :)

If you managed to get it fixed, maybe you can post a reply here :) Good luck!

Hi neogeek & all,

I'm having a very similar issue to you.

I have a concern of my new Tag Aquaracer Quartz Chronograph (model caf1111 shown in www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/aquaracer/man/quartz-chronograph/index.lbl?w=CAF1111.BA0803). Was hoping someone can assist here:

(1) My 12 hour chronograph (on the 10 o'clock position) has not moved once. Looked in the instruction manual and did not give any explanation why? I tried many combinations of unscrewing the crown to all positions and everything else with the A & B buttons, but to no avail.

(2) the 1/10 second chronograph (on the 2 o'clock position)does not move manually either. Only when I reset it with the B button does it move. how often does it move anyways? Is it supposed to be 10 rotations per second?

If anyone can please assist here, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure if the watch is faulty here (doubt it since I got it a few weeks ago and purchased in Macys NYC). i really cant figure out why those two chronographs do not move.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Neo,

I would happily replace the movement for you. If you can pay for the replacement movement and shipping.

Regs

Bry @ SatinTime!

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I had one that did the exact same thing. My AD sent it back to TagHeuer and after several weeks, I received word back that the movement could not be repaired and that a replacement movement was no longer available.

Now it just sits in my watch box, silent and lifeless. So Bry, you say you can fix them?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi there,

I've never replaced a Tag Heuer chrono movement, but lots of Standard Tag heuer movements, and other watches like Omega 861 speedmasters, Certinas, Seikos chronos, divers etc, and lots of other watches to many to recall to be honest.

Tag heuers use Eta movements, they basically stick a Tag heuer text on the Eta movement, so the movement could either be sourced from a Material watch house, or from a badly beat up watch of ebay or a forum member etc etc

I do work for Lloyd's Tags of ebay uk, he's a Welsh Powerseller.

Regs

Bry @ SatinTime

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Tag heuers use Eta movements, they basically stick a Tag heuer text on the Eta movement, so the movement could either be sourced from a Material watch house, or from a badly beat up watch of ebay or a forum member etc etc
Bry,

I'm very interested in having the watch repaired. I would like to first identify the movement to see if a new replacement is available. I'd rather have a new movement instead of a used one out of a parts watch, since these movements seem to be problematic.

I also noticed on other threads that you have refinished watches as well. Can you replicate the very delicate, frosted finish that these watches had originally?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi there,

Yes I can you mean Satin finish. My actual email and refinishing name is SatinTime!

If you can open the back you'll need a good light and a 10 or 20x loupe, even a Swiss army magnifier might help you read the movement number.

Sorry don't get in here that often, responses tend to be slow, usually us UK forums, as I'm UK.

Regs

Bry

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Bry, I'll try to get the movement number in the coming weeks and get back to you with it. How long is the turn around, on project watches like this?

That's also good news that you can replicate the satin finish. I wasn't sure what to call it since it's a softer finish than a regular "blasted" case finish. You must blast it with baby powder or something:-d

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No probs sub,

Once we have the movement, its a same day job really. baby powder would be useless with steel, better suited for plastics.

Regs

Bry

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi... What's the latest? BTW you can replace the movement and it will fix the problem. Just buy an ETA 251.262 It's the same movement TAG uses. I get them for about $75. Have a local watch maker replace it. I wouldn't pay more than $30 to swap it out. I pay my guy $20.

Good luck and let me know how I can help.

David
Ebay: TAG--Team

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
No probs sub,

Once we have the movement, its a same day job really. baby powder would be useless with steel, better suited for plastics.

Regs

Bry
Bry, I took the watch in question to my watchmaker today and had him remove the caseback. Appears the movement is an "RH" with the R and H inside a horizontally elongated hexagon. The numbers 51-52-53 appeared under the hexagon as well.

My watchmaker said that he had never seen anything like it. Does this movement sound familiar?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Hi Sub,

Not being familar with RH, i woulsd have to look this up. But I would assume it's a Rhonda movement.

Regs

Bry
Bry,

See what you can find out and let me know. If the replacement cost is agreeable. I'll pack it up and send it your way.

I also recently purchased a late 70s vintage Heuer 200M Professional w/ orange dial. In shipping, it appears that soemone in customs opened the package and dropped the watch. The timing bezel is slightly bent and won't stay on the case.

Like I said, let me know via PM and I'll pack then up and ship them to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1983 Tag Chronograph function has never worked despite 4+ attempts at taking it to various shops. I gave up and never will buy another one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts