WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Hello and welcome.

It's almost impossible to make a meaningful suggestion to you if you don't provide us with the basic background information.

what do you like and not like? any style or essence you like in a watch? budget situation? usage?

base on look I would go TAG F1(a vanilla vs chocolate ice cream blanket suggestion) but I am sightly biased because I used to have two.

The black bezel is a love or hate thing for many people, if you found the TAG F1 a bit too sporty/toyish I think you should look into VSA or Tissot

Attachments

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
The VSA would probably be much closer to the Luminox price point, a tad more bling, dressy. Tissot PRC200 or v8 would be a great alternative at well, most people crossshop those when they want a entry level quartz swiss time piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I cannot see spending $1000 on a quartz watch. To me it does not even look that particularly well put together for that price. Plus you are paying the tax for the cash cow of Tag Heuer. Why don't you look at Stowa or Oris with your $1000 instead. Oris makes mechanical race inspired watches of much higher quality for similar prices.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I wouldn't pay 750 for an F1 TAG ever, it's a nice solid watch but it's just too basic for that kind of dough.
Get the Luminox if it's significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have the Tag Formula 1 Grande Date. As others have pointed out it is overpriced for what you get (I think I paid $975 when I got it), but it looks good, is well made, and its pretty much indestructible. Mine sees quite a bit of wrist time as it is the only quartz watch in my rotation. That that being said, I can think of better ways to spend $1000 than on a Tag. if you like the black bezel look, check out the Seiko Orange Monster. Its about a third the price of the Tag, good automatic movement, durable and super cool-looking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TAG F1 comes first to my mind because (1) sporty / elegant looks , I like the black bezel (2) for me TAG is mid range other than Tissot or VSA and the brand suit for someone 30’s (3) TAG F1 is the lowest price among all those TAG models. Those all are just my personal opinion about TAG. Of course it is cost much higher than the Luminox for the quartz movement and they looks similar. Maybe I go for TAG.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used to be like this before. I wanted to get a Tag f-1 bec. It's the most affordable model in the Tag Heuer line. And the Tag name is recognizeable. If I were you, I'll spend more time here on wus. See other options. Like checking those micro boutiques.

Also try hanging around the Tag Heuer section. They might have some good inputs over, if you really like Tag. Maybe a second hand Tag Heuer with automatic movement is a good choice vs a quartz?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I cannot see spending $1000 on a quartz watch. To me it does not even look that particularly well put together for that price. Plus you are paying the tax for the cash cow of Tag Heuer. Why don't you look at Stowa or Oris with your $1000 instead. Oris makes mechanical race inspired watches of much higher quality for similar prices.
It's a case of yes and no.

yes, it's a cheap ETA movement, a quartz. But for people who wanted a entry level luxury swiss watch and doesn't care for movement, a TAG Heuer is a good buy. Before I became a WIS I never heard of Oris or Stowa.

Overpriced or not, there's a certain price to pay for brand leverage, it's your call to see if it's worth the premium:)

A lot of people buy a non-HEQ omega seamaster 300M and wonder about that same thing, the movement is no more than 75 dollar from what I remember but the case and bracelet is the same as the automatic. some called it a bargain while some wouldn't even what to consider.

and on the build quality I can tell you this: it's not bad at all, the bezel click is one of the best, bracelet fitment was nice and neat. The only complain i have is the stamped clasp(aka old rolex rattle trap)

plus there's always a good discount for TAG if you search hard enough.

for the interest of discussion, here's some Oris Aquis photo(I secretly lusted but afraid will not get much wrist time), I see the TT1 and Aquis as the Seiko Monster for the swiss world: built like tank, good value for money, unique styling, strong tool watch identity with a royal following

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts