WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share a recent story about a watch repair estimate. I own an OLD WA1211 F1 from the early 90's along with other Tag Heuers. My F1 crystal and bezel are pretty worn out as the watch has seen lots of use.

I decided to send it to LVMH in NJ for an estimate on replacing the crystal only. My estimate total was $147.00! That's actually more than what the watch is worth.

Here's the estimate:
Crown $21.00
Crystal $16.00
Maintenance II $110.00

After a phone call, I was told they simply can not replace the crystal. They have to get the watch back up to factory specifications by performing the Maintenance II which includes replacement or repair of quartz movement, time keeping test, water resistance test, etc. There is nothing wrong with the crown, but I guess the only way to replace the crown o-ring is to replace the entire crown at $21. So are you telling me that every time a watch is sent to LVMH for a battery change and water resistance test, the entire crown needs to be replaced? Seems like a scam.

I understand a water resistance test would be necessary after a crystal replacement. In fact, I would want that performed anyhow. Don't want a leaky crystal!

Oh well, I just thought it was funny. BTW...I am not having LVMH touch my watch for that kind of money! In fact, I seriously doubt I'll buy another Tag Heuer with such poor customer service by LVMH.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I understand you frustration with the service cost. since it is a much older watch, tag really does need to perform the full service. the only thing thats not listed in your estimate is the bezel. I wonder why that was skipped if its in poor shape. to bypass a service by tag heuer, you can get the crystal replaced for under 50 bucks at a mall jeweler like fastfix.com
but there service estimate isn't high. its sounds high, but I've had a 6000 serviced and it was 375.00

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's no different than getting a European car serviced in the US at the dealer. It is very expensive, but they (presumably) do a great job (I have only owned cars less expensive than my watch).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not a bad deal for a service that size, my Link Quartz went trough the same last year,
and the total was 280€ ($420 approx.) and it didnt even have any parts changed...
Fair price for that amount of work I'd say...

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
In all fairness, the cost to repair/service isn't dependent on the value of the watch. Your watch is old and depreciated but service and parts are at today's costs.

I agree with the others that to replace some parts may involve also replacing other parts. I think this is a fair price considering other repair costs Ive seen for automatics.

The choice is yours whether to keep the watch or maybe put the $150 toward a new one.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sadly, your experience is typical. This is indeed Tag's official policy. Just because 4 other members have been shafted out of even higher amounts doesn't make it right. The Euro car analogy is incorrect. I own a BMW, and although I'm hardly happy about repair costs at least they don't force you to rebuild the car every time you want something done. When you send the average Tag to their service center, the typical estimate will involve replacement/full service of the movement, replacement of the battery, all gaskets, and typically also the crown, hands, dial and Lord only knows what else. There is almost nothing left that's original by the time they're done, and they usually want $500-600. This is for a quartz watch. I'm not even going to get into what they will hit you with for an automatic. Ironically, the price they quoted for the crystal is a *bargain*, and frankly the crown price is very fair. The problem is that they won't even touch the watch unless you do the "standard" service. These other 4 posters are correct though, by TH standards $120 is a very low estimate. Some of this other stuff you can decline (like dial/hands), but they make it seem like you're doing something very sinister if you do.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Sadly, your experience is typical. This is indeed Tag's official policy. Just because 4 other members have been shafted out of even higher amounts doesn't make it right. The Euro car analogy is incorrect. I own a BMW, and although I'm hardly happy about repair costs at least they don't force you to rebuild the car every time you want something done. When you send the average Tag to their service center, the typical estimate will involve replacement/full service of the movement, replacement of the battery, all gaskets, and typically also the crown, hands, dial and Lord only knows what else. There is almost nothing left that's original by the time they're done, and they usually want $500-600. This is for a quartz watch. I'm not even going to get into what they will hit you with for an automatic. Ironically, the price they quoted for the crystal is a *bargain*, and frankly the crown price is very fair. The problem is that they won't even touch the watch unless you do the "standard" service. These other 4 posters are correct though, by TH standards $120 is a very low estimate. Some of this other stuff you can decline (like dial/hands), but they make it seem like you're doing something very sinister if you do.
Interesting thread. The range of expectation is quite large. The main take here is some folks would prefer lower service costs than LVMH Service provides. In some of the other threads folks have expectations of high levels of professionalism and perfection. And a few concern themselves with the time to return.

I don't think LVMH will ever be competing in the low cost categories. There is no money to be made there with their overheads. And most folks sending their watch to the manufacturer have expectations about quality that exceed concerns about cost.

But there actually are local watchmakers who will do what you want, no more and no less. For a variety of reasons their pricing is usually more reasonable. But they will have difficulties obtaining TAG-OEM parts such as casing pieces and even crowns.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't understand how is this an example of poor customer service??
I would have thought BMW guy would know better.....synth oil change for what? $200? hahhaa

If the watch came back all scratched up.....then that would be an excellent example.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Euro car analogy is incorrect. I own a BMW, and although I'm hardly happy about repair costs at least they don't force you to rebuild the car every time you want something done.
Huh? Dealership's method of fixing things are always complete replacement.
Oh...leaking tank? lets replace the full pump. Oh AC not working due to one bad motor lets replace the whole AC unit....Of course you don't need to rebuild the whole car because there are other 10,000 parts that would need to be replaced to be considered as rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts