WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Recently I bought a Tag Link watch (WJF2110.BA057) on ebay. According to the seller the watch was a new store demo in mint condition. When I received the watch I checked it and (based on what I read about how to recognize a fake Tag) it looked real to me (I’m no expert, though): good finish; the case back has Tag logo embossed into the steel, laser etched model (WJF2110) and serial number (RRE0684); the crown has a single big tube; the Link bracelet looks real too.

Now about what made me worried. The watch came in a Tag box and with a Tag price tag (separated from the watch) but without any papers. Also the case back has a thin red line painted on it but no sticker. I can somewhat understand the absense of the sticker and the papers for a demo watch but why the red line? I contacted the seller (by the way, he’s a power seller with a pretty good rating (99.6) but most of his items are in a lower range ~$100-200) and he replied that the red line is to show that the case back has not been removed, that the watch is 100% authentic and he would never risk a bad feedback by selling a fake and so on. Does his explanation sound believable? What do you think: is this a real Tag or just a well-made replica? I have not seen any red lines on authentic Tags in my local jewellery store but at the same time I cannot understand why would someone make a really good replica with all the minor details and then screw it up by painting a stupid red line across the case back?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
403 Posts
post close photos

·
3,261 Posts
this guide Malfun69 posted, seems to be pretty helpful.

also, the red line could be a number of things... like a returned item, for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry about it just because of the line, but I would definitely do some research as there is no fun and pride if you don't have piece of mind with the authenticity of your TAG.

Post some pics, so the experts can give your their input !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I read that guide and the watch seems to pass its tests (except that I didn't open it to check the movement). Here are some pictures (I apologize for the bad quality of some of them - I don't have a lot of experience taking close-up pictures, espeicially with artificial light):

CIMG2679.JPG
CIMG2687.JPG
CIMG2689.JPG
CIMG2682.JPG
close-up with the crown pulled out:
CIMG2681.JPG

·
3,261 Posts
isn't that a round plastic sticker on the back, where the red line is "painted" on ?

I think my 2000 classic came with that sticker, but almost sure mine had a green line on... it's been too long.. almost 10 years, so I don't exactly remember, but I am almost sure....

·
3,261 Posts
really ? looking at the pictures (all of them), I could swear it was a round plastic sticker there... oh well, you have the watch with you, so you know better !

·
3,261 Posts
but the question really is... why some came with a green line and others with a red one ?

I am ALMOST sure my 2000 classic auto came with a green line. That sticker was there for the first year or so before falling off...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are absolutely right - there was a plastic sticker! It was sitting so tight there and so transparent that I couldn't see it up close. But after you insisted I took a closer look and yep, there it was. So the red line was on the sticker and not on the caseback itself. Thanks to you and to dtdukok for pushing me to re-check it. It's obvious that you, guys, have way better eyes then me :)
So what do you think now - does the watch look authentic to you?

·
Registered
152 Posts
You are absolutely right - there was a plastic sticker! It was sitting so tight there and so transparent that I couldn't see it up close. But after you insisted I took a closer look and yep, there it was. So the red line was on the sticker and not on the caseback itself. Thanks to you and to dtdukok for pushing me to re-check it. It's obvious that you, guys, have way better eyes then me :)
So what do you think now - does the watch look authentic to you?
You should have gone to SpecSaversb-)

·
3,261 Posts
hehehe as I said... I recall my 2000 classic auto having this sticker. But I am ALMOST very sure that mine had a green line... sorry to insist on this. I do not know what these lines mean. But.. even if yours was a return, or a "second test" at the factory, I would definitely not worry about it, because TAG HEUER would not put out a bad piece.

but yes... it would be nice to know what these colors mean. Why don't you contact them directly ? Phone number is at their website.

and please, post the outcome to us !! thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I guess I need to update my glasses :) But I could swear there was nothing there - it was so tight and transparent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After finding out that the line was on the sticker and not on the case I made some additional search on this valuable forum and found another thread where a question was asked about a red line on the sticker and the answer was that "the red line is just an indicator of were to pull the sticker off from." So I guess the color is not really important?
See here: forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=913269

·
Registered
836 Posts
In my experience, I have never seen a mfgr rear "sticker" with a green line that had been applied by the factory. If you had one, it could have been applied by a large reseller.

Cheers,

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts