WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Macy's today and stopped by the watch counter to look at a few Tag's. They had a discontinued quartz Aqua Racer on clearance that caught my eye.
I spoke with the woman behind the counter about the watch,warranties,etc. She told me they offered an extra warranty for $150.00 for battery replacement.She explained that the battery could only be changed by sending it back to Tag and that they normally charged $250.00 to replace the battery.
I asked her why I couldn't take it to any jeweler/watchmaker to do the work.I understand there is pressure testing and o-ring replacement but that price seems ridiculous.She kept insisting that only Tag should do the work as other jewelers may have you sign a waiver if you take it to them for a battery swap.
Is all this really true or can I have this work done anywhere? Macy's sells many brands and I guess she gets a commission on the watch and any additional warranties she can sell you.

Just to add, I asked about getting a leather strap for it in addition to the bracelet and she told me the watch would have to be sent to Tag for the strap and installation .I asked why I couldn't just give them the watch info and have them give me their recommendations.She replied "That's just how they do it" :-s

·
Registered
776 Posts
Macy's is not an authorized repair center from what I know..if they already told you they cannot do it..then why insist? ..lol...you can always take it to any jeweler of course...but do it at your own risk. Yes , Tag charges more but they warranty their work for 1 year....why risk the longevity of your watch for a few bucks?

·
Registered
776 Posts
As an addendum...I always send my tags back to corporate for any repair work. I take it to my boutique in San jose and they ship it for me free of charge. Not all boutiques are the same of course.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Macy's is not an authorized repair center from what I know..if they already told you they cannot do it..then why insist? ..lol...you can always take it to any jeweler of course...but do it at your own risk. Yes , Tag charges more but they warranty their work for 1 year....why risk the longevity of your watch for a few bucks?
I think you mis-understood. I was in no way asking if they could do it nor would I consider having them do it.I was just asking if this was something a reputable jeweler could do.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sorry...my bad. I guess my point is...unless they are a designated authorized tag repair center, it would not matter if they are reputable or not. There are certain processes that are followed for a simple battery change and a reputable jeweler may not have the equipment. My 2 cents....send it to Tag. After they service your piece, they give you 1 year warranty on it
Hope my 2 cents helps...lol

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
TAG will test the movement to assure it is still good, swap in a good battery, replace the gaskets, pressure test the watch, and warrant it for 1 year.

Optionally they will add a case and bracelet clean up and polish for additional monies. Your call.

But they will not just replace the battery without taking steps to assure the watch is working to spec and is still water resistant and will likely continue to be for the near future.

Others will, and they are much cheaper... as they should be. How you go is your call.

Reactions: nigelw

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I just take my quartzes to a competent watchmaker for new batteries. Yeah, he charges more than the jeweler at the mall, but he charges a whole lot less than a manufacturer's service center would. I've never yet had the waterproofing fail. (The watches are designed to have the battery replaced, after all.)

I'd be very surprised if that discounted Aquaracer couldn't be found much cheaper on Amazon or at another reputable grey-market seller. Macy's starting prices are high even for ADs, so their discounts would have to be awfully deep to be good value.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Some good food for thought. And yes I can, and probably will end up ordering from grey market.They run about $300 cheaper than Macy's "Clearance" price.
Now the question......Blue or Black dial on the quartz AR? Is one more versatile than the other as an everything/all occasion watch?Is blue gaining popularity in general? Macy's only had the blue to look at,And I saw a really nice midnight blue leather strap on a Link that would look really nice on the blue dial AR.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Some good food for thought. And yes I can, and probably will end up ordering from grey market.They run about $300 cheaper than Macy's "Clearance" price.
Now the question......Blue or Black dial on the quartz AR? Is one more versatile than the other as an everything/all occasion watch?Is blue gaining popularity in general? Macy's only had the blue to look at,And I saw a really nice midnight blue leather strap on a Link that would look really nice on the blue dial AR.
I just picked up the blue. You can't wrong either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts