Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

I'm looking to buy my first high-end watch.

Looking at 2 very similar looking watches in very different price ranges. If you all can help me shed some light on positives and negatives of each and your personal opinions on brand and image, that would be awesome. If you've got one of these, please feel free to post your experiences and Pictures!!

Also, I've included what I think I can get these for, are these reasonable pricing for both of these watches (NEW)?

1. TAG Carrera Automatic Chronograph Day-Date CV2A12.BA0796 ($2500)

2. OMEGA Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronometer 311.30.44.50.01.002 ($4300)

Thanks for all your help!!

-ww

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Although, I am sure the Speedy would be the more obvious choice, I personally love the Carrera Chrono. Simply stunning :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Speedmaster......no comparison in my opinion.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
The Omega has a much better movement. That is why it is nearly 2 x the price.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As much as I love the Speedmaster, the only one that matters to me is the 3570. (I still sold it :-()

The Carrera is more modern and IMHO, has a better looking dial than the Speedy. Of course, you cant compare the movement, the co-axial blows the caliber 16 (7750) away easily.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i'd go with the speedmaster. to me, the speedmaster and the daytona are the iconic modern chronographs.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i'd go with the speedmaster. to me, the speedmaster and the daytona are the iconic modern chronographs.
I agree with iconic but modern...? I'd have to disagree. I'm speaking mostly about the Speedy, I love it and hope to own one in the future but the dial is dated and can even be considered vintage since the dial has beena round for a while and has remained pretty much unchanged. The hesalite crystal doesn't help either. If we are talking about "modern chronographs" (look-wise), Tag Heuer wins hands down in that department.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree with iconic but modern...? I'd have to disagree. I'm speaking mostly about the Speedy, I love it and hope to own one in the future but the dial is dated and can even be considered vintage since the dial has beena round for a while and has remained pretty much unchanged. The hesalite crystal doesn't help either. If we are talking about "modern chronographs" (look-wise), Tag Heuer wins hands down in that department.
fair enough. maybe it would have been better phrased as an "iconic sporty chrono" instead of "modern chrono" to contrast it with offerings by the likes of patek or blancpain? i think that particular speedmaster has a sapphire crystal. i'm not sure why they still make some with the hesalite. maybe that helps the buyers convince themselves that they did in fact go to the moon?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
fair enough. maybe it would have been better phrased as an "iconic sporty chrono" instead of "modern chrono" to contrast it with offerings by the likes of patek or blancpain? i think that particular speedmaster has a sapphire crystal. i'm not sure why they still make some with the hesalite. maybe that helps the buyers convince themselves that they did in fact go to the moon?
The 3570 is the closest watch to the one that went to the moon. For the same reason why Omega would insist on the hexalite crystal instead of sapphire. Its a piece a history.

I would NOT buy the coaxial Speedy, simply it does not have any sort of significance to it. I can have the coaxial movements in the PO, which IMO is a much more modern chronograph. IF I was going to purchase the Speedy again (hopefully soon b-)) it would still be 3570.

But as far as aesthetics goes, the Tag Carrera wins hands down.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you are spending that much money, I personally would much rather have a new Omega Aqua Terra with much nicer movement.

·
Moderator at Large
54,007 Posts
First of all: Welcome to Watchuseek and welcome to the Public Forum, Omega Forum and Tag Forum as well.

There is no need to post the same query three times. Therefore I closed this thread here on our Public Forum. Members interested in this discussion may switch to our Omega or TAG forums.
Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.