WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
3,243 Posts
as Pub posted, then prepare to be VERY surprised.

i can't vouchsafe a 10:1 ratio but Tag makes & sells a lot more watches per annum than Oris.

as for the topic in question, the vintage Tags are very nice, on the current stuff Oris offers better value for the dollar but i'm not crazy about all of the Oris designs. Tag still makes a few decent signature pieces but most of their lineup isn't noteable, imo.

Oris is a mass producer of mechanical time-pieces too. In fact, I won't be surprised they make more watches than Tag.

· Registered
332 Posts
I like both Brands. I really like the Aquaracer Chrono. It is a very fresh and eye-catching design. I do however like design of my TT1 Titanium. If I had to choose between the Oris Carlos Coste LE(Orange accents) and the aforementioned Tag, my brain might explode because they are both Bad-ass watches.
Overall Tag probably has more name brand gravitas with the general public.
That is not a bad thing if that is what you want. I don't think either is a bad choice because both offer nice styled offerings.
BTW...Who started this, now I want both the watches I talked about above.

· Registered
17,156 Posts
considering the price of the aquaracer chrono, I'd buy the oris in a heartbeat, for sheer size and bragging rights. tag only has one diver that has the total package. size, weight, movement and high tech features that put most other divers to shame. the Aquagraph with dive kit. I'm bragging cause I have one:-d

· Registered
1,040 Posts
I like the looks of some of the Tags, but my $$ goes to Oris. I have 3 of them, all are good value for what you get.

If you can find a store that sells both, pick out a similar model in each brand, and compare them side-to-side. Look at fit, finish, the details (or lack thereof), weight, etc THEN flip over the price tag of each. And ask yourself if the price difference is worth it to YOU.

My .02...

-Jim

· Registered
5 Posts
i would personally say oris, i think that tag is overpriced for the quality. in some cases they are charging cosc premiums for noncosc watches. plus my collegue at work bought a tiger williams and it feels like junk to me. i own a tt1 diver which is a bargain as far as higher grade swiss names goes...

· Registered
226 Posts
"Value for Money" is such a vague subjective term depending on so many emotional variables that a question based on it will only garner viewpoints colored by personal prejudice and tastes.

"GENERALLY speaking which is a better fruit for the money Apples or Oranges? Not comparing specifics at this point."

Frankly I prefer the Orange for the Vitamin C. But so many other people like the Apple! I don't understand it!

· Registered
270 Posts
"Value for Money" is such a vague subjective term depending on so many emotional variables that a question based on it will only garner viewpoints colored by personal prejudice and tastes.

"GENERALLY speaking which is a better fruit for the money Apples or Oranges? Not comparing specifics at this point."

Frankly I prefer the Orange for the Vitamin C. But so many other people like the Apple! I don't understand it!
Clap Clap Clap |>

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
thanks again for the input. regarding "subjectivity", "personal..."; i think objectivity is a near myth. our decisions (watches and all) are influenced by a wide range of factors. for instance--my head and my investigations tell ME that tag's are good watches but that the price reflects an inadvertant amount of marketing compared to oris--but i truly love the tag carrera line. deiselgeek is correct that comparing individual watches is more precise; the point of my thread was to gauge the WUS community's GENERAL take on the two brands. so far oris gets the cudos. thanks.

reverendkb

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

not to touch a raw exposed nerve. but my question was phrased as a general inquiry which is a valid tack to take. specific queries should be phrased as such. the hackneyed fruit comparison is never helpful. how old/fresh is each piece of fruit in the category (using category in it's technical/specific philosophical connotation). was it on sale? did the orange have seeds? you may eat the orange peel if you wish but i wouldn't recommend it. red or green apple? macintosh or gala? apples also have a negligible amount of vitamin c compared to oranges. is it wrong to compare the merits of quartz vs. auto vs. eco drive vs mechanical, i used to sell cars and toyota's (GENERALLY) are far better values than cadillacs. that said, i've always adored (SUBJECTIVELY) the look of a sparkling clean eldorado. ciao

· Registered
3,003 Posts
Like eqdok2007 wrote, "Value" is highly dependent on the "eye of the beholder". If "brand recognition" comes into play, for example, then TAG is of "better value". If not, then Oris is a better value.

This is an argument that is difficult to "win" with logic only. I'll quote myself however here, a post I put in another thread (it was the Omega vs Oris thread):
I had an Oris with the Sellita movement, and through the display back you could see the movement, it looked hastily put together and poorly finished (i.e., rough edges and marked surfaces).

In the light and with the proper angle, you even could see tiny particles of dust (lint?) on it. You can bet it did not give the impression of quality, it looked like a Chinese knock-off.

On the other hand, I had an older Oris with an ETA movement and it looked much nicer. The only thing I never warmed to was the red rotor.
So there you go: most common mechanical TAG have, in fact, higher quality movements when compared to common Oris models (the newer models). This could change in the future, say if Sellitta starts upgrading its manufacturing to fill the soon-to-come void left by ETA.

So that is one of the few measurable and verifiable variable in the discussion. Others measurable and verifiable variables could be, for example, quality of metals used (I can't judge this).

But in the end it's up to oneself to see where the value comes from each brand: design / image, leading edge tech, movement, finish, brand recognition, a red rotor showing in the back, etc.

BOTTOM LINE: purchase what makes your heart race! :-!:-!:-!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.