WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, thinking of possibly buying a Tag Heuer Carrera 160 LE. I noticed on tags website it says you have 30 days to return it if youre not satisfied. That made me think. If I bought it from an official boutique (not AD) do they offer the same 30 day return?

Reason I ask is I've seen it in person, but still not 100% sold on it so leaning towards ordering it online and taking time to wear it around the house and decide without the pressure of being at a store with a sales person.

Does anyone know if the boutique offers the same policy?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
In my experience, the half hour or so or more at a boutique, big box store, Macy's, Costco, etc. all offer sufficient time to check out a watch in person so that you are afforded a reasonable amount of time to try out the watch. If, in an hour of handling the watch and talking to the sales person, you are not thrilled with it, there's no reason you can't go to another store or even that same store later and try it out again with another sales person. There's no one holding a gun to your head to buy it right then and there. The only pressure you actually get is in your head. They are not making you buy the watch. If you FEEL pressured, just walk out and go back another day.

I've bought several watches this way and never felt pressured. If the salesperson was a jerk, I just said "thanks" and walked out. Went back later and talked to a different sales guy and ultimately walked out with a watch.

I may be different from you in that I decided I wanted a particular watch and went to buy it, tried it on, talked to the salesperson, checked it out with a loupe, etc. Just made sure it was indeed what I was looking for and I bought it. If it didn't float my boat I'd walk out and do a bit more research. But once I was convinced I wanted the watch, I was pretty much sold on it and did not need 30 days to "test it out". I'm also not a fan of those who buy something to test and bring it back. In my opinion, it's used at that point. If you don't like it in the store, I don't think you'll grow to love it so I say pass on it and let someone who really likes it be the first owner. But that's me.

But to your question, some sellers will let you return it as long as EVERYTHING is original including box and papers and all the plastic protective elements are not removed. They also thoroughly scrutinize it for scratches and will definitely point out what they think you did to it even if you didn't and charge you for the "damage" so be aware it may be returnable but at a cost.

I say examine it thoroughly in the store and if you don't like it, don;t buy it yet. Go back and try it out in the store again. If you really like it, buy it. But don't buy it to "test it out". That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@kevinkar thanks for the detailed response. I agree with lots of your points. There is 1 caveat to going to another store, the Carrera 160 Montreal is only available online and just so happened to be at this brand new boutique that opened. I definitely wasn't pressured when I briefly looked at it last week, but my reasoning was being able to just sit down a home with it on the wrist and admire it comfortably I guess. I've also read reviews on the 02 movement being somewhat noisy so was thinking sitting at home quietly on the sofa or at my desk I could pick up any noises from the rotor or if it bothered me. Just to be clear, I'm not looking to buy a watch and wear it for a month simply to return it. It would only be at home with all the stickers on it just to get a feel for its thickness, etc and try it on with several shirts. Maybe I'm way overthinking this, but $6k+ on a Tag for me is a high risk since if I ended up being unhappy with it, modern Tags aren't known to hold their value and don't want to be stuck with a big loss.

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
I don’t believe the intention of the 30 day return policy is so that you can test it out by wearing it around the house for an extended period.

The intention is for you to return it in unused, unworn, resaleable condition with all the original packaging intact, so that they can then sell it to someone else without loss.

If you’ve worn it for nearly 30 days, then it will be used, and will likely not be eligible for a refund…

SoOoO many watches SoOoO little time...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
@kevinkar thanks for the detailed response. I agree with lots of your points. There is 1 caveat to going to another store, the Carrera 160 Montreal is only available online and just so happened to be at this brand new boutique that opened. I definitely wasn't pressured when I briefly looked at it last week, but my reasoning was being able to just sit down a home with it on the wrist and admire it comfortably I guess. I've also read reviews on the 02 movement being somewhat noisy so was thinking sitting at home quietly on the sofa or at my desk I could pick up any noises from the rotor or if it bothered me. Just to be clear, I'm not looking to buy a watch and wear it for a month simply to return it. It would only be at home with all the stickers on it just to get a feel for its thickness, etc and try it on with several shirts. Maybe I'm way overthinking this, but $6k+ on a Tag for me is a high risk since if I ended up being unhappy with it, modern Tags aren't known to hold their value and don't want to be stuck with a big loss.
Yeah, I hear you. I think this kind of policy would be great but in practical use it would be very difficult to keep the watch absolutely pristine no matter how careful you were.

As for it only being online, that is definitely a problem. I will say this though - I have bought 3 cars in my life after never sitting in them before. I ordered a Camaro and the first time I touched one was the day mine was delivered. My most recent car was one I went to the dealer to see and pretty much bought it right there and traded in my then current car. I've also bought 3 watches online after never touching one and I still have all 3. So my tolerance for jumping in is definitely a bit different than yours. But you make a good point.

My Seiko Kinetic GMT Diver has a loud rotor which, at first listen, was somewhat shocking but I've grown to appreciate it as I KNOW it's spinning. A very quiet rotor fakes me out and I always think "Is it winding or is it not???"

I think a lot of mid-range luxury watches lose more value than we'd like. I bought a used Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph for half price and the thing is practically pristine. So there are deals to be made for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts