WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow seikotics. Sorry to title the thread as I did but was constrained by space. And I hate thread titles that don't indicate at all what the topic is; so I did my best. I need you more well-rounded collectors to give me some feedback and check my perceptions for me. A friend at work recently obtained a very lightly used TagHeuer F1 orange face chrono on a bracelet. This is a quartz watch with sapphire crystal, 200m water resist, and unidirection bezel. Sharp looking watch. On Amazon these go for around $650. I could have picked it up for much less. I wore it for a day. Nice watch. But I don't see the mystique. I honestly couldn't say it was that much better in the fit and finish department than my monster. Or my Orients for that matter. In fact the bezel on any SKX was better than the bezel on the Tag. I don't intend for this to be a TAG bash. Not at all. I have very little experience with Swiss watches. This particular watch is considered entry level so perhaps a comparison to my Sumo is unfair. But still, I'm wondering if my perceptions are so skewed as to be missing something? And what Seiko chrono would be comparable (I'm hankering for a quartz chrono now to go with my 6138 and 6139)? Sorry for the long post and I look forward to the education.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
I've said it, others have said it: If you took nearly any Seiko and put "Swiss Made" in tiny white letters at the 6 o'clock and a Germanic sounding name like
"Pfeilspritzring" at the top instead of "Seiko" - you'd 5x the cost of the watch on the spot for much of the line.

Don't get me wrong - there are some Heuers that I'd love to have and I do have several Midos and a Fortis among my Swiss watches - but the Eurocentrism in the WIS community is overwhelming sometimes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The big knock on Tag is the perception (at least here) that they are over priced for the quality. Tag does a great job of marketing and hence, the non-wis public buys them for the status and are a bunch of gullible sheeple.;-)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I had a Tag F-1, it was a Non-chrono, but like you I have found that the fit/finish is far superior on my old HEQ quartz diver, I don't even know the model number on it but it has to be one the better looking more modern watches I own, not to mention my old 6309-7040, for its age and all, it a highly accurate automatic. Anyway I think yall are right on the money when you have your doubt about some Tags/ swiss made watches. I do like some swiss watches, but the ones I like are way, way too high in price ( more of a dream watch really), anyway Yall take care

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Pass the popcorn is right. You should post this in the Tag forum if you don't want Tag bashing like you say. :-s Asking that question on the Seiko forum will get you plenty of 'seiko rocks' answers, but not a real answer to your question.

Putting 'swiss made' on a Seiko? Sheeple? Pretty funny stuff!

Just my opinion, of course.. ;-)

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Pass the popcorn is right. You should post this in the Tag forum if you don't want Tag bashing like you say. :-s Asking that question on the Seiko forum will get you plenty of 'seiko rocks' answers, but not a real answer to your question.

Putting 'swiss made' on a Seiko? Sheeple? Pretty funny stuff!

Just my opinion, of course.. ;-)
Have a laugh, but why did the Swiss stop many of the Observatory Competitions in the late 60s? Could it have been that Seiko kept rising in the standings until the year they stopped they came in 2nd in the most prestigious of them?

Seriously, there are loads of poorly made "Swiss" watches and there are some truly amazing Seikos. All I hear from most WIS is that "They would never consider paying $xK for a "Seiko"". So, laugh all you want but I have several descent Swiss watches that cost 3-5x what my Spirit did and they are not better made, the fit and finish is not superior, but they do say "Swiss Made" at the 6 o'clock......

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k. so to move this thread to a better place. The other question in my original thread that I obscured with my ramblings was what Seiko Quartz Chrono would be a good example of a classic Seiko chrono and would be comparable or better than the Tag? Something from the Sportura Collection?

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Spooky! Check out the thread I just posted on the Daniel Wu Seiko(s). They look nearly the equal to the F1 to me, except they don't have sapphire :-(

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own 1 seiko and 1 tag. The seiko was i think 500 bucks around 10 years ago and the tag was a lil over 900 about that same time. My seiko is more of a top end seiko and my tag is more of a bottom end tag. Its the older F1 style that is a smallish watch. To avoid this becoming a book, i'll try and bullet style why i think tags cost more then seiko's.

-percieved level of quality surrounding the "swiss" nature of tag
-quality/parts used, i dont think tag makes a non saphire watch, mine is anyway.
-track record and advertising.
-they dont make anything too cheap.

The ford GT is a BMF but because ford makes focus's that are 10k, people dont see it as great as it is compared to other cars in the same price range that have a percieved better pedigree. I'd like to think the same goes for seiko's Grand Seiko. Never seen one in person, i'm sure they are sweet as heck, but because they are made by a company that also makes cheapo folded link, garbage watches they dont get the respect they diserve.

My seiko and tag are both chrono's. I love them both, but to be honest, since my seiko is higher end and my tag is lower end, holding them both and looking them over you can see differences that help warrant the cost, imho. There is deep ingraving on the screwback of the tag and even a deep ingraved disign. The seiko has light etched things on the back. Screw down crown on tag. Sapphire crystal on tag. Diver extension on tag. Dial has a pattern or carbon style to it. Differences on the clasp can be seen to. Same goes for a CYMA navy star i own. Holding it in your hand and looking it over you can see things that would bring its level of quality above watches that arent in its price range. Even bring its level up to some watches above its price range, imo.

Okay, this turned into a book anywho...Not saying that swiss owns all in watches, but just doing a 1:1 comparison of my tag and my seiko.

In the end, the real question is are the, sometimes, small differences in quality/pedigree worth the cost increase to YOU.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Am posting a link to this thread in the Public Watch forum and the TAG forum. Been a boring week, I need to see some sparks flying!

Kidding! Wish I had the chutzpah to do it though!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Don't feel bad about bashing Tags - I was killing some time while in San Francisco today and just tried on a Rolex SeaDweller while wearing my 007. Let's just say I feel OK about saving the $6800. Now I also tried on the Deep Sea Sea Dweller and that is watch, then again it is also the cost of forty or fifty 007's...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Reminds me of the thing with high end German cars in the States. Cost way more than the comprable Japanese car but, because of good marketing, brand loyalty, or exclusive models, or just plain feeding ones ego, several people choose them dispite the cost/benifit logic.

For me its the same with watches. I sold off my Omega Seamaster and soon my Tag. I have about 15 Seikos, mostly modded, but all my daily wearers. Too much fun in knowing I can wear a reasonably accurate, durable, and stylish watch without a single care (dinging it or getting mugged for it).

Just my two cents!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Reminds me of the thing with high end German cars in the States. Cost way more than the comprable Japanese car but, because of good marketing, brand loyalty, or exclusive models, or just plain feeding ones ego, several people choose them dispite the cost/benifit logic.

For me its the same with watches. I sold off my Omega Seamaster and soon my Tag. I have about 15 Seikos, mostly modded, but all my daily wearers. Too much fun in knowing I can wear a reasonably accurate, durable, and stylish watch without a single care (dinging it or getting mugged for it).

Just my two cents!
buying a product isn't always about cost benefit or logic. when it comes to watches and cars and many other things, for me it has a lot to do with quality, performance, appearance, attention to detail etc... people can assume i bought it for brand loyalty, ego or whatever. i don't care.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
egads another one of these. We just had one about Rolex last week.

We all think we know what is the better value...me included. That's just it though...we are all right. So talk about it without bashing other brands.

With a thread title like this it's just taunting the "speak before you think" gang to join in the "this vs that" debate. There is zero value in it. <|

As to your question have you looked at the SBPP01/03? They are pretty nice and I think there is a review on one in the Seiko review section :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, I'll say that Tag use to be a decent deal on a watch 15 years ago. But they upgraded their pricing and image right at the same time swiss watches became popular with the general public. They are now a pure luxury good, were perception is more important then value. I remember they were once in the case side by side with Hamilton, Bulova, Citizen and Seiko, they are now displayed/cased with more luxurious brands. They are also better looking then they were for the most part. Plus Tiger Woods don't come cheap.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi!

I understand exactly what you're talking about. In fact, I've asked myself the same question while looking at both my SKX009 and my Aquaracer, both similar in design and features

Although I really really like my SKX, the TAG is the better watch in terms of quality and finish and I think it can't be compared to the SKX line, maybe rather to a 6R15 diver.

+ Quality / Finish: The TAG has a fantastic Caseback, lume-markers with chromerings, Laser engraved clasp, very nics matte case.

+ The TAG has a rock solid brushed SS braclet with solid end links that fit the case 100% (never seen that on a SKX)

+ Better Movement, Hand-Winding feature, runs smoother at 28.800bph

+ 100m more water resistance (who would ever need that? But it is a statement of quality)

- Poor Bezel quality on the TAG, more a optical gimmick than a tool to use

Everyone can decide if a TAG's really worth 2/3 times the price of a similar japanese diver.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Have a laugh, but why did the Swiss stop many of the Observatory Competitions in the late 60s? Could it have been that Seiko kept rising in the standings until the year they stopped they came in 2nd in the most prestigious of them?

Seriously, there are loads of poorly made "Swiss" watches and there are some truly amazing Seikos. All I hear from most WIS is that "They would never consider paying $xK for a "Seiko"". So, laugh all you want but I have several descent Swiss watches that cost 3-5x what my Spirit did and they are not better made, the fit and finish is not superior, but they do say "Swiss Made" at the 6 o'clock......
Here we go.

Please re-read my original post. I did not bash Seiko whatsoever. Have plenty of them (you can check my posts) and love the brand. My only comment was that for an honest answer to the poster's question, moving it somewhere other than here would likely produce more even-tempered responses than "sheeple" or putting ""Swiss Made" in tiny white letters at the 6 o'clock and a Germanic sounding name like "Pfeilspritzring" on the dial... etc. This is nothing but Tag/swiss bashing and Seiko fawning like your comment about watch competitions and what place Seiko came in. Nobody said Seikos were bad and needed defending so your comment seemed kind of out of place to me :-s, but made my point perfectly.

Again, not saying either poster is wrong, just suggesting to the original poster that he will get more of that same attitude here. No big deal..

Have a great day!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Before I got seriously interested in watches I had a big crush on Tags. Nowadays it's different. Not that I have anything against the brand, far from that, bot nothing in favor either. I do respect and would love to have one of their more high end automatics, but the quartz watches are just blasé for me - and of course, too expensive for what they deliver. And that's from somebody who seriously considered buying a F1 in the beginning of this year.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.