WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm contemplating buying the Carrera CV2010.BA0794 through Amazon. I've read up on the concept of "gray markets" and understand that buying from Amazon (or its third-party stores) means I can't use Tag's official guarantee, even though I can be fairly certain the watch is still genuine.

Given the above, I still have a few questions:

• Upon receiving the watch, can I still visit tagheuerregistration.com and register my serial number, or will Tag Heuer somehow detect that this serial number isn't valid?
    • Has anyone tried this after purchasing a watch through the gray market?
    • If this does indeed work, what will that give me in practice? I assume that TH will still refuse to repair the watch, should it break within the 2-year warranty, but what about after that period?
  • If, for some reason, the watch bought via Amazon has the serial number stamped/erased out, can't I just return it through Amazon's A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee, since it's clearly "incorrect items" (see details here)? Or is erasing serial numbers actually considered OK for Amazon-sold watches, even if they don't state this anywhere on their site?
Thanks for any insights you can provide, and Happy New Year! :)

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
TAG Heuer will not give you free warranty service on grey market watches. But if you are willing to pay for service, they will do it at any time.

Generally I find Amazon to be quite customer friendly but sometimes what you are buying is not from Amazon but rather a third party. I can not speak to those experiences. I am sure they vary.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you get a watch without a serial number, look for a good watchmaker, you'll have a real keeper.
Not sure if that was meant as an answer to any of the questions I asked in the original post..?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if that was meant as an answer to any of the questions I asked in the original post..?
I bought my TAG without a warranty card (from a friend who is a jeweler in one of those jewelry exchange markets). I have no idea where the watch came from, but it was brand new.

I knew I wouldn't have a warranty, but the price could not be beat. I went to TAG's website and registered it for my own peace of mind. I assumed if it didn't have the correct serial number, it wouldn't accept the registration. Anyway, I'm registered and the TAG secret police didn't visit me in the night.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm contemplating buying the Carrera CV2010.BA0794 through Amazon. I've read up on the concept of "gray markets" and understand that buying from Amazon (or its third-party stores) means I can't use Tag's official guarantee, even though I can be fairly certain the watch is still genuine.

Given the above, I still have a few questions:

• Upon receiving the watch, can I still visit tagheuerregistration.com and register my serial number, or will Tag Heuer somehow detect that this serial number isn't valid?
    • Has anyone tried this after purchasing a watch through the gray market?
    • If this does indeed work, what will that give me in practice? I assume that TH will still refuse to repair the watch, should it break within the 2-year warranty, but what about after that period?
  • If, for some reason, the watch bought via Amazon has the serial number stamped/erased out, can't I just return it through Amazon's A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee, since it's clearly "incorrect items" (see details here)? Or is erasing serial numbers actually considered OK for Amazon-sold watches, even if they don't state this anywhere on their site?
Thanks for any insights you can provide, and Happy New Year! :)
Answer to bullet #1 is "Yes" you can register the number with TAG since it is a real TAG.

Answer to bullet #2 is "Yes" I have bought two recently from Amazon.

Answer to bullet #3 is that one watch was warranteed/insured through Amazon and the other through JomaShop. It depend on who the seller on Amazon is. Since I got a $500 discount on one and a $700 on the other, so I figured I have a little cash reserve in case of failure if for some reason the warrantee isn't honored!

Answer to bullet #3 is I doubt you will ever get a watch w/o a serial number from Amazon. They have too much reputation riding on their sales to smear it like that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the answers, selfwind! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I've never registered any of my watches with TAG. I see no point in doing so other than to provide them with demographic information.

Registration has no effect on service.

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
I've never registered any of my watches with TAG. I see no point in doing so other than to provide them with demographic information.

Registration increases your level of spam emails...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

There you go -- that was the answer to my bullet #3 I guess. Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is my experience with my purchase: I did my research initially on the web and found several websites that sold TH watches, I decided to go to the local jewelers to se what was what. I went to Jeweler "A" in Cincy and asked them to tell me why I should not buy a TAG online, his response was of course the warranty would be void and he also told my that in the future should I need work or repairs done on the watch TAG would not service it even if I was going to pay for the repairs out of pocket. He instantly offered me a 25% discount which put my watch (Auquaracer 500M Chrono list $3150.00) $2350.00. I went to jeweler "B" and he gave me a price of $2500.00 I went to Jeweler "C" and he told me TAG sets the prices and any AD selling for less than that would void the warranty which I later found out was BS. Went back to jeweler "C" after talking to a buddy who works at a sister store that does not carry TAGs and he made a call to Jeweler "C" and got me another 3.5% discount at Jeweler "C". All said and done I was out the door with my new TAG AUQUARACER for $2390 tax included. The best I saw on line was 2100.00. Worth the extra 200 bucks to know I am covered and all I have to do is bring it back to Jeweler "C" if I need something. PS: I also stopped in and talked to the TAG dealer at Macy's in the mall. He said he would match any price I could find on line but he did not have the TAG I wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts