WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Fakes are known to have the crown on the crystal as well, they are however much easier to spot under normal lightning conditions than that of the original.
Thanks for the advice I'm new to the Rolex world. I know on my sub c under a strong flashlight or on a really bright day at the right angle you can see it easily however the other 99% of the time I can't.

OP, please post again when you are up to it, even if the news is bad. A few members might have some harsh words but the great majority knows we all make mistakes. Especially when we get excited about a deal. I know someone when recently bought an old Mercedes from a nice old lady who appeared so genuine he didn't even do all his normal inspection. She told him it had no rust and had been garaged it's entire life. We'll when we got home and pulled up the floor matts you could see the ground. Then he got under the car and there was rust everywhere and attempts had been made to repair it. Turns out the nice old lady clearly lied to him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I really hope that the OP gets this sorted out and doesn't lose any money. It worried me to think I could be buying a fake for a large sum of cash, so I went the AD route.

These copies are frightening and I'm wearing an original on my wrist!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How would you guys feel about buying a used Rolex at an AD? Or a well known AD of other brands like Omega?
I don't have anything against AD's but I prefer to use trusted sellers here, on TRF and TZ. I feel like I'm getting a better deal and better representation of the watch. I don't have any recourse but a trusted seller's reputation is important and one bad, misrepresented watch will hurt him.

My last three purchases required wiring funds straight to the sellers' accounts. To be honest, I had no real concerns and with the last purchase, I went from selection to the initial contact to wiring the funds to wearing the watch in 24 hours. Sure - it could have gone sideways but I checked his previous sales, insured I was actually dealing with *that* person and checked his references. All that can be done fairly quickly. There are no guarantees but by doing your due diligence, you can gain a little confidence.

Edit: I will not buy a watch from a stranger or an acquintenance unless I personally know the provenance of the watch. I remember sitting in Fulton Country Stadium years ago when a guy behind me started bragging about buying a Rolex from a guy in the parking lot. His buddies were hasseling him telling him it was stolen. I asked if I could look at it and from the moment that I held it in my hands, I knew it was a fake. It was way too light and didn't exude that feeling of quality. The dude's reaction was of disbelief when I told him I was 100% certain it was a fake. At least the OP knows who sold it to him - this guy was screwed out of $250. To make matters worse, he purchased it thinking it was stolen and he was getting a smoking deal. I suppose he got what was coming to him.

Reactions: uansari1

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hi

Yes the selling of replica watches is illegal. It's all very shady. I agree about buying (for instance) a $300 Seiko instead of a fake. That is what I did.

I really hope that the OP gets his money back and posts here again

I do feel for him.

Berni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I really hope that the OP gets his money back and posts here again

I do feel for him.

Berni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know all of us hope that he gets his money back if he confirms that the watch isn't real. I suspect based on his profile that the OP is my father's age. If someone were to rip off my father, there'd be hell to pay.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Oh man, 99.9% that is fake and not even close to being one of the better ones. I see 5 things that are not photo dependent and at least 3 more that could just be the photo. Watchmakers and even lot of ADs aren't good with eyeballing the best of fakes. Many they don't see many fakes and may not have any idea how sophisticated some are. It is best to be one to one with the suspect and a 100% authentic watch. Some Rolex fakes have as many genuine parts as fake, as I have said before where do you think all those eBay Rolex parts for recent models are going? Also don't trust any of the online how to detect a fake Rolex guides, they are shooting at a moving target and what may be a absolute tell this month may be "corrected" in the next batch of fakes. Rolex watches are by far the most dangerous to buy used. Also unless you KNOW Rolex movements don't trust yourself seeing an open case, first there are Chinese clones of Rolex movements now (not that good but can fool someone that only THINKS they know) and it is not unheard of for authentic movements to wind up in fake cases. You can get a lot of good deals in life, rarely is it for a modern Rolex. Better to spend your time saving money on your cable bill and your car insurance and just pay the freight for a new or used Rolex with a impeccable provenance.

Reactions: avusblue

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I think you hit it without having a real one right next to the one you are looking at it would be quite a bit harder to detect a fake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One trick I learned to ferret out fakes quickly is go in with a few high definition pictures printed off and a loupe in hand. Walk over to the case and set them down in clear view of the staff if they know the watch is fake it will likely not come out of the case for some ridiculous reason. I stumbled on this by accident and have had it happen once since then. The first time so and so had to be there to show Rolexes for insurance reasons and he was at lunch, so out of curiosity I ate lunch near by and when I came back miracle of miracles someone had bought the watch in the intervening 45 minutes!

In the end just keep a clear head, modern Rolexes just aren't going to be a "black Friday" deal any day of the week. Don't forget the mantra about Rolexes being as good as cash, if someone has a modern Rolex that is real and isn't stolen most any pawn shop will give them a very fair price for it in 15 minutes time, there is just no need to have a fire sale because someone needs cash TODAY. Not suggesting someone sell theirs to a pawn shop because a fair price isn't near retail but it is a lot better than "psst heah buddy, do I have a deal for you".

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
Some Rolex fakes have as many genuine parts as fake, as I have said before where do you think all those eBay Rolex parts for recent models are going?
This statement hints at the enduring Urban Myth that (some) Rolex parts are made in China. I've heard this trope for years, yet not one iota of evidence has ever been proffered to support these specious claims.

As anyone even tangentially acquainted with Rolex knows, the company is owned entirely by a nonprofit foundation, whose sole mission is to enhance the lives of Swiss living in the cantons where Rolex is sited, and to further the development of new watchmakers. No foundation charged with the economic betterment of the Swiss would, at the same time, outsource manufacturing to China. The whole notion beggars belief. :roll:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
This statement hints at the enduring Urban Myth that (some) Rolex parts are made in China. I've heard this trope for years, yet not one iota of evidence has ever been proffered to support these specious claims.

As anyone even tangentially acquainted with Rolex knows, the company is owned entirely by a nonprofit foundation, whose sole mission is to enhance the lives of Swiss living in the cantons where Rolex is sited, and to further the development of new watchmakers. No foundation charged with the economic betterment of the Swiss would, at the same time, outsource manufacturing to China. The whole notion beggars belief. :roll:

I assure you I am not a "hint" kinda guy, so don't get your fanboy knickers in a twist. <see no hint at all :) While you may be tangentially acquainted with Rolex you appear not to be acquainted with the counterfeit Rolex trade. No reason one should be unless they buy Rolexes outside the new from the AD pipeline. Let me explain a little about it. In general the Chinese side of watch counterfeiting is rather above board, illegal absolutely but most of the direct streams coming from China are openly sold as counterfeits or replicas, there isn't a lot of pure scamming going on. The place that it really becomes sinister is when those fakes reach the hands of scammers inside the US and EU. These are the people that are attempting to get serious money by passing the fake off as real. This is where my point about eBay enters. If you go on eBay you will see a lot of genuine Rolex parts being sold, makes perfect sense for vintage and semi-vintage watches BUT the interesting thing is the number of parts being sold for very new Rolex watches. Now I am sure there is the rare person who has some basic watch making skills who will replace a cracked ceramic bezel or maybe a crown and tube but the VAST majority of people that own a relatively new Rolex won't be doing things like this. The bottom line is there are people who take fakes from China and replace one, some, many of the fake parts, the ones with serious tells with the genuine parts. The key to catching these fakes is checking EVERY detail. For example the crystal crown isn't a good judge. Sure cheap fakes lack them, and the good Chinese fakes are easy to spot since it is more visible than it should be, BUT some of the Frankenstein watches will have an authentic crystal. So you have the money in hand and you are 100% sure the bezel, crown and crystal are authentic seems like a good bet, it may be however you may just be buying a handful of Rolex parts (made in Switzerland BTW) slapped on an otherwise fake watch.

There is proof some Swiss manufacturers are using Chinese made parts. I have seen no proof Rolex has ever used Chinese sub-contractors, but if I see proof I won't hint about it.

BTW I got the sarcasm in the second part of your post but honestly didn't understand it since it seemed to contradict the first proclamation. In any case I agree with the first part and certainly find the second part utterly ridiculous. Also note my first sentence was a little over the top, with a smile.

·
Registered
736 Posts
BTW I got the sarcasm in the second part of your post but honestly didn't understand it since it seemed to contradict the first proclamation. In any case I agree with the first part and certainly find the second part utterly ridiculous. Also note my first sentence was a little over the top, with a smile.
You mean about Rolex being a non-profit foundation? I don't think there's any sarcasm intended.

Wikipedia states: "Upon the death of his wife in 1944, Wilsdorf established the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation in which he left all of his Rolex shares, making sure that some of the company's income would go to charity. The company is still owned by a private trust and shares are not traded on any stock exchange."

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
This statement hints at the enduring Urban Myth that (some) Rolex parts are made in China.
I didn't read it that way. I read it to say that some replicas actually use a handful of genuine parts to lend them more credibility. I may have misunderstood, of course.

Not certain what you mean by sarcasm. Rolex is a charitable trust. This is an established fact.

A reminder to all that replicas are not an appropriate topic of conversation on WUS beyond what is necessary to educate our members on how to avoid them. We're in danger of straying past that so let's step lightly please.

Jeannie

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
EDIT: Removed references to "franken" fakes, per Jeannie's reminder.

To ilitig8: Here "fanboy" is considered a pejorative, and based on your usage, I take it as one. So, for the record, I am not a "fanboy." I simply have an extremely low B.S. tolerance.

And I think velocityboy cleared up your misunderstanding about the second part of my previous post.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
You mean about Rolex being a non-profit foundation? I don't think there's any sarcasm intended.

Wikipedia states: "Upon the death of his wife in 1944, Wilsdorf established the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation in which he left all of his Rolex shares, making sure that some of the company's income would go to charity. The company is still owned by a private trust and shares are not traded on any stock exchange."

Seems there is some confusion about the non-profit identity of Rolex. It is an hour long discussion but suffice it to say Rolex is not a non-profit in the definition most people think of as non-profit. They also are not considered a non-profit by most of the countries governments which they sell watches in. They are a for-profit company in the US for example, not a 501C3 for example. Are they very charitable? Yes. Are they more charitable than most? Probably. Do they pay out the vast majority of their net to charity every year, most assuredly not unless they are the poorest run of any of the companies with near their volume and prestige. I assumed there was some sarcasm in the post since they don't run a zero sum game. If the poster truly feels the company gives the majority of their net to charity then there is no sarcasm and we merely disagree on his second point.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
EDIT: Removed references to "franken" fakes, per Jeannie's reminder.

To ilitig8: Here "fanboy" is considered a pejorative, and based on your usage, I take it as one. So, for the record, I am not a "fanboy." I simply have an extremely low B.S. tolerance.

And I think velocityboy cleared up your misunderstanding about the second part of my previous post.
As far as I know fanboy is a pejorative most everywhere. I used a grin and followed up at the end by reiterating the point. My "point" was you were quick to your guns without actually reading my post and I responded in kind but attempted to make it clear mine was in jest.

I don't see any point to arguing the non-profit status of Rolex since it is pretty common knowledge that while a charitable trust owns Rolex, Rolex does not operate as a non-profit by common definition nor is it accepted as such by most governments, the quote included the words "making sure that some of the company's income would go to charity" emphasis added.

If I upset you I apologize but I felt attacked when I thought I had made no suggestion of what I was accused.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Well this thread has certainly taken a turn for the different...

Reactions: ShaggyDog
41 - 60 of 142 Posts