WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first got into watches I joined a couple of forums, as you do, but I never once asked the question, what shall I buy. It's like asking what shirt, shoes, should I buy. Are people just getting too lazy to make up their own minds? A couple of hours perusing the various forums would give most people a pretty good idea of what's out there and what suits their tastes, but there seems to be an absolute plethora of people who need their minds made up for them. I wonder if they do the same thing when they buy a car, microwave, TV etc?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Re: Take out all the what shall I buy and help me choose watch, and what's left?

To answer your topic - WRUW threads.

In response to your post, I have often wondered how a guy who makes enough money to buy one or more expensive watches can't make a simple decision on what to buy. I am with you on that, but their musings and fretting are fun to read.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Take out all the what shall I buy and help me choose watch, and what's left?

To answer your topic - WRUW threads.

In response to your post, I have often wondered how a guy who makes enough money to buy one or more expensive watches can't make a simple decision on what to buy. I am with you on that, but their musings and fretting are fun to read.
Really? I find that it's just got old. Makes me wonder how they choose anything in life without other opinions.

·
Registered
18,329 Posts
As I scrolled down from this topic, maybe 9 of 10 other topics were exactly as you say -- "what shall I buy?"

The variant that I found interesting was this one, where the OP had some styling criteria and wanted some options:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=2424753

I've posted the same kind of question myself, especially because I don't know about the existence of many watches and was hoping to learn of some which I might like.

But, overall, dfl3506, I agree.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I scrolled down from this topic, maybe 9 of 10 other topics were exactly as you say -- "what shall I buy?"

The variant that I found interesting was this one, where the OP had some styling criteria and wanted some options:
White-Dialed Sports Watch, Higher End SARB035 Alternative?

I've posted the same kind of question myself, especially because I don't know about the existence of many watches and was hoping to learn of some which I might like.

But, overall, dfl3506, I agree.
How do you make any other purchase without getting second opinions?
Do you take someone with you when you buy a tie. I just spent a fairly substantial amount of money on a new car, I didn't join a forum first to ask what was the best car to buy.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I've never understood those post either. I have also thought who picks out your clothes for you? As for the " which one do you like better" post I always think who gives a f*#k? I say that because I have never purchased a watch that I'm going to wear with any concern for what somebody else thinks about it.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never understood those post either. I have also thought who picks out your clothes for you? As for the " which one do you like better" post I always think who gives a f*#k? I say that because I have never purchased a watch that I'm going to wear with any concern for what somebody else thinks about it.
What about the, help me decide what watch to wear to a bar mitzvah, opera, mud wrestling, monster truck rally etc? Really, how do people get dressed in the morning?

·
Registered
18,329 Posts
Do you take someone with you when you buy a tie.
Yeah, my wife -- because I trust her fashion sense much more than I trust my own. ;)

I once asked about clean, mid-sized manual wind watches with no date and below $1k because I wanted a dressy-capable watch that was simple to reset after it ran down. I don't remember seeing any in person at a local shop, but the resulting thread presented only a few options.

On the other hand, I've started to think that the Internet has made shopping for watches more difficult. If all I had to choose from was what I could find locally, I wouldn't be pining for some mystical Perfect Watch that's only available two continents away.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What I find especially amusing are the threads that say something like: I have xxxx dollars to spend, should I buy a new car or an XYZ watch. Are they serious?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
With the power of so many forums with people of similar interests sharing experiences and opinions, it really does help to ask like minded people what they think about something depending on how serious you are about it. Sure for you it may seem odd that someone is asking to compare a T-shirt from brand x and brand y, but if that is what that person is into and wants opinions, why not? Its no different than asking for opinions on watches to get ideas, brands you may not have heard of, and perspectives that might change your own.

You also have to realize that tremendous amount of purchases are being made unseen online nowadays, without forums, opinions, wrist shots, lume pics, etc, it makes the process much harder to simply look at a stock picture and decide. I for one find it near impossible to buy many an item online without seeing it or atleast reading about it, but if I do end up reading about it in a review, forum or opnion piece, it does make the decision a more educated one.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, my wife -- because I trust her fashion sense much more than I trust my own. ;)

I once asked about clean, mid-sized manual wind watches with no date and below $1k because I wanted a dressy-capable watch that was simple to reset after it ran down. I don't remember seeing any in person at a local shop, but the resulting thread presented only a few options.

On the other hand, I've started to think that the Internet has made shopping for watches more difficult. If all I had to choose from was what I could find locally, I wouldn't be pining for some mystical Perfect Watch that's only available two continents away.
Choosing a tie was just an example. Strange as it seems some guys actually do it by themselves.

·
Premium Member
38,928 Posts
What's left?

Posts like this I guess.

Choosing between two watches always seems like a strange thing to ask strangers to do, but I'm always happy to offer my opinion. In some cases after reading you'll realise they have concerns about the way a watch might wear and so are seeking opinions from those who have worn them, seen them in the flesh or lived with them for years.

Probably more useful are those where they are also looking for suggestions on other similar watches - the breadth of knowledge of some people here is incredible (myself not included) so assuming every newcomer is aware of all of the watches potentially suggestable is a wrong assumption to make.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
The watch market is huge; the available options are dizzying. They're also NOT immediately apparent. Watch lines are sometimes fairly transient; the SARx's are that way. Or, conversely, you'll find older versions. Was looking over possibly buying a COSC automatic. This led to Mido and the Baroncelli. Well, the Baroncelli III is COSC; maybe the others are, but it's harder to find that out. But the first and second versions are also out there...not just the IIIs. Oh, and they're discounted...so they *look* attractive. Online catalogs are frequently clumsy to navigate. The Baroncelli's include both auto and quartz models. For this watch, I'm not looking for a quartz; I've got those, and I've got an itch for a pure mechanical.

While I'll agree that those "help me decide" threads are problematic...the "I'm looking for" are just reducing the time needed. And hey, you don't have to read them, or continue to read them once they no longer interest you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know about the actual final act of "choosing" a watch...but...I think that getting feedback and real world experiences. i.e. wrist time, can be helpful.

A prime example, especially when buying used, might be the non-availability of the make/model, especially in your locale. This is particularly prevalent with some of the smaller and micro- brands. If you can't feel/touch/wear it, at least you can gather other's experiences and then filter thru the noise to try and arrive at some semblance of a "good choice".

-Mark in St. Louis

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I think the counter question to the OP is - what, you never make any purchase where you dont use an external resource?

With the advent of internet, the number of choices we have available to us has increased significantly, and it becomes harder to make a decision as there are multiple options that fit our criteria and which are hard to differentiate. Ascribe that to good marketing, as well - we are all part of one segment or the other, and multiple companies have offerings aimed at us.

Increased access to choices and increased access to information about products leads to a magnification of extremely minor differences as we try to figure out whether A is better than B or C. And that means more research in order to break this paralysis of analysis. This could be reading up reviews, asking experts, or merely polling friends. This is hardly unusual or limited to watches - check out the number of buyer guides out there: cars, audio gear, bicycles, cameras, etc. Name a hobby and it has resources that let the prospective buyer do his homework.

Forums are simply one more such resource to help us reach a decision.

I have asked for advice on which Rolex to get, for example - i was torn between the Explorer II and the Sub, and simply couldnt decide which one to get. So i asked here, to see if anyone had any tidbits to add which would help me make a decision. As it turns out, in the end i just bought the one my girlfriend said she liked more but that is more b/c i had already dug up all the relevant facts about both these watches before asking my question, and didnt get any new info here. Had i received an additional bit of input, that could have helped me make up my mind.

Other watches, where i was able to decide on my own, i purchased without asking.

Reactions: mpnap and EnderW

·
Registered
536 Posts
WUS should just do the sensible thing and make a sticky thread for "what should I buy" that includes all the typical forum favorites from all the price ranges. Put 50 ads on every page and sell direct links to buy to stores.

·
Premium Member
61,645 Posts
I have to admit that I find it a little strange when someone asks "what shall I buy" as try as I might I usually end up recommending something that I like (a Bambino or a Diver with a SARB thrown in to liven things up a bit). I am faced with the decision of what to buy next because if I get X then Y gets missed out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts