WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

First off I wanted to say how great this forumn is. It's so good to see a place where everyone is so friendly, happy to help and passionate about something they love.

Anyway, after years of coveting an Omega I'm finally in a position to buy one, having worked my backside off to get promoted at work. The only thing is that now I can afford to reward myself I'm paralysed by indecision. Here's where I am:

- First up I thought I was set on the Speedmaster Date (3210.50.00). Individual and stylish and looked so good on. As soon as I picked it up I fell in love

- Then I got edged slightly towards the Speedy Pro as being the absolute classic Speedy and a legendary watch. "If you get a Date" I read, "you'll wish you bought a pro"!

- Now I've been around these forums and seen so many pictures of the black Seamaster Chrono (2254.50.00) that I'm salivating

Help!!!! I can only afford one!

Also, can anyone recommend an AD in NW England or London who will, er, negotiate on price?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Its a matter of personal taste but...

You can't go wrong with a classic Speedmaster Pro.
These can be found on the pre-owned market for a discount, which will allow to start saving for your second watch:-!

Hi everyone.

First off I wanted to say how great this forumn is. It's so good to see a place where everyone is so friendly, happy to help and passionate about something they love.

Anyway, after years of coveting an Omega I'm finally in a position to buy one, having worked my backside off to get promoted at work. The only thing is that now I can afford to reward myself I'm paralysed by indecision. Here's where I am:

- First up I thought I was set on the Speedmaster Date (3210.50.00). Individual and stylish and looked so good on. As soon as I picked it up I fell in love

- Then I got edged slightly towards the Speedy Pro as being the absolute classic Speedy and a legendary watch. "If you get a Date" I read, "you'll wish you bought a pro"!

- Now I've been around these forums and seen so many pictures of the black Seamaster Chrono (2254.50.00) that I'm salivating

Also, can anyone recommend an AD in NW England or London who will, er, negotiate on price?

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Hi Wisediver

First Omega? Speedy Pro would be tough to beat. Like Joe said, pre-owned is a no brainer. Go for it, you will not regret it. David

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi everyone.

It seems that you and I are in the proverbial same boat. I have been lurking around here for the better part of 6 months absorbing information and had decided on the 3570.50 Speedy pro. Then it happened, I saw a 2254 and knowing that it will soon be unavailable outside the used market I was again overcome with doubt:think:
In my case I think the problem is that while I make financial decisions regularly in my business on things much more expensive this is different. An expensive watch is totally impractical. A $39 timex will preform the same function in most cases. You buy something like an Omega watch not becuase you need it but becuase you want it. My problem is that I am cursed with a practical nature.
I have to make a decision soon. Which ever one I choose will be under the tree on christmas morning and my wife tells me I need to make up my mind.
If it is any consolation I have observed from the members of this forum that deciding on additional Omega watches appears to be much easier!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
It seems that you and I are in the proverbial same boat. I have been lurking around here for the better part of 6 months absorbing information and had decided on the 3570.50 Speedy pro. Then it happened, I saw a 2254 and knowing that it will soon be unavailable outside the used market I was again overcome with doubt:think:
In my case I think the problem is that while I make financial decisions regularly in my business on things much more expensive this is different. An expensive watch is totally impractical. A $39 timex will preform the same function in most cases. You buy something like an Omega watch not becuase you need it but becuase you want it. My problem is that I am cursed with a practical nature.
I have to make a decision soon. Which ever one I choose will be under the tree on christmas morning and my wife tells me I need to make up my mind.
If it is any consolation I have observed from the members of this forum that deciding on additional Omega watches appears to be much easier!
Actually, I beg to differ. A $39 Timex will not perform the same. It won't make you smile like a new Omega will. ;-) - David

·
Registered
447 Posts
Actually, I beg to differ. A $39 Timex will not perform the same. It won't make you smile like a new Omega will. ;-) - David
:-! I have to agree. I find that when I wear my Hamilton chronograph I look at it far more often than I do if I am wearing a cheaper watch. Just think how I will react to an Omega.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
As a matter of fact, David, I do.....................

And I just happen to have a picture of it handy, Allow me. David

·
Registered
163 Posts
Speedy pro is a great watch to start with. Classic looks that just grow on you. I agree that while a Timex can tell the time (well most of the time) an Omega is something that will not only tell the time correctly but something you want to look at often and smile. I know that is how I feel about my speedy pro and my new smp300.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Here's a thought for you - not everything has to make practical sense. One of the rewards of success is that you can treat yourself to things that aren't practical, economical, etc., but that you just enjoy. And there's a pretty good argument to be made that enjoyment has value - it surely does. Not measurable in dollars necessarily, but it has value nonetheless. So if it's a reasonable expenditure in the budget, whether a watch, fishing trip, international travel, you name it, what the hell. You'll be dead a long time. It's ok to reasonably splurge on yourself (and on others around you, as well as other worthy causes). Best, John

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Here's a thought for you - not everything has to make practical sense. One of the rewards of success is that you can treat yourself to things that aren't practical, economical, etc., but that you just enjoy. And there's a pretty good argument to be made that enjoyment has value - it surely does. Not measurable in dollars necessarily, but it has value nonetheless. So if it's a reasonable expenditure in the budget, whether a watch, fishing trip, international travel, you name it, what the hell. You'll be dead a long time. It's ok to reasonably splurge on yourself (and on others around you, as well as other worthy causes). Best, John
John, that is absolutely a perfect explanation. Now, can you just get my wife to understand that I need a new Omega for personal enjoyment and all that other stuff you said? - David

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seamaster Chronos are nice - not as iconic as the Speedy Pro.......

Although, when purchasing an Omega, i dont think there is a 'wrong' choice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Excellent thoughts John. It is funny how everyone puts different priorities on different things. We travel quite a bit and enjoy the success we have had in various ways. This has put things in better prospective for me I hope we have helped the OP:thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
John, that is absolutely a perfect explanation. Now, can you just get my wife to understand that I need a new Omega for personal enjoyment and all that other stuff you said? - David
Better get used to what you have, David - with that wife and those young lions, you already hit the lottery pal, and the watches are just a little icing on the cake. OT - I gotta get a grill like yours. Speaking of that, I'll be up at 7 cooking the bird on the Weber (gas) again this year - tried it last year, and it was just great! John

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Better get used to what you have, David - with that wife and those young lions, you already hit the lottery pal, and the watches are just a little icing on the cake. OT - I gotta get a grill like yours. Speaking of that, I'll be up at 7 cooking the bird on the Weber (gas) again this year - tried it last year, and it was just great! John
Let me know how it turns out. I'm new to gas grills. Cooked a brisket the other weekend and it was great. I'd be nice to do a turkey outside and not have to mess with cooking it in the oven. - David

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have to say that I'm completely over the dilemma of whether I should or shouldn't (I definitely should!) but I'm still struggling with the "what?" I think I'll drop out the Seamaster for now (like Joe K says, I can save that for my second watch!) and go for a straight Pro vs Date decision. Looks like I'll just have to spend a whole bunch of time at my local AD trying them both on. What a TERRIBLE way to spend an afternoon :-!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
As I stated in my PM, I would go with the black 2254.50 as it has been discontinued and will not be around much longer.

Then I would pick up a nice previously owned Speedy Pro.

Two great classics in hand with contrasting features.

Speedy date? Nah!

Fr. John+

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Let me know how it turns out. I'm new to gas grills. Cooked a brisket the other weekend and it was great. I'd be nice to do a turkey outside and not have to mess with cooking it in the oven. - David
Famous last words... "couldn't be easier." It really was pretty easy last year. Weber and other brands have small racks that the bird rests in, foil pan immediately under that to catch the drippings, 11-13 minutes/pound at 350-375 degrees indirect heat, remove the drip pan for the last half hour or so (browns the bottom of bird), and unbind the birds' legs (tied with string) for the last 1/3 of cooking time. We didn't do the stuffing in the bird, though I imagine you could. Frees up a lot of space in the kitchen on a busy cooking day. And now, on to the bird, my friend.... John

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Famous last words... "couldn't be easier."
Upon awakening this morning, I jammed my elbow into my wife's ribs and said, "When's dinner gonna be? And btw, I'm buying another watch soon!".

I have regained the use of one arm and the doc says that I should be home in a week or so. :-d Y'all have a great Thanksgiving! :-!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wisediver

In my mind there is no doubt about it, if you have decided on a speedmaster go for the pro. Here is an interesting article you might enjoy. It was written by a member of this forum.

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/moonmovement.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts