WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

First, my post is about two Pathfinder series Casios but they're both ABC and this was the only relevant section I found. If I'm wrong, please move it then scold me and it won't happen again!

I have an older PAW-1300 triple sensor, waveceptor watch that has served me well over the years and is still looking and running great. I wanted to get a new gen 3 model with a titanium band and I've been shopping on and off for a year or two when I came across the PRW-3100T and fell in love. The smaller size was the main reason I chose this model over the 3500T. The one I have now is already big but it's dwarfed by the 3500T so that was a deal breaker.

I set out to buy a 3100T in the fall of last year. I found two stores with decent prices (Walmart.com of all places was one of them) but they were both out of stock. In fact I was noticing everyone was out of stock so I called Casio and they promised they'd be available by Thanksgiving . . . then Christmas . . . then in January they told me that model was discontinued! So I ended up settling for another resin band watch and the 3100 arrived yesterday. I was pleased to see it's actually a little bit smaller than the PAW-1300 with slightly larger characters which is great because while I can see the time and date just fine, I need readers to see the smaller stuff so anything helps.

However, while waiting for Amazon to choose what turtle to strap this to (sometimes the way they ship things really sucks) it struck me that I no longer use my watch for anywhere near the things I depended on it before. When I need a countdown timer or an alarm, nothing is easier than to ask Siri. Same goes for the other functions. The only feature I still use and like is the compass, the main reason I bought the PAW-1300 back then. I thought then maybe I should just stick with the 1300 since I wasn't getting the titanium band I also wanted but too late, the turtle was already enroute.

So I'm thinking of strapping it back on the turtle and pointing back toward Texas for a refund. I'm going to do a test to see if the compass is any better. If it isn't, I'm probably going to return it. The PAW gets very confused when you're in a vehicle so we'll see if the gen 3 they keep touting is up to snuff. So far the Waveceptor feature is no better. There are only a couple of spots in my house where I get a reliable signal and so far the 3100 suffers from the same issue. The only time I've used the A and B features was for conversation fodder and the temperature is useless unless you take the watch off for 20 minutes (understandable).

Someone might make my mind up for me if I get a bidder on Ebay for the old 1300 but if that doesn't happen . . . well, you know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the main thing is the compass, the 3100 is unlikely to be noticeably better than the 1300. The version 3 sensor is not known for having much better accuracy than version 2. Main thing is that the sensor is smaller and more efficient.

As for keeping the second watch, hardly anyone needs more than one ProTrek, but plenty of people like having many of them.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Found a good deal on a new titanium PRW-3500T, as my older titanium ProTreks have been fantastically comfortable, lightweight, robust and accurate solar watches, despite being pretty big. Can’t resist them when I find them cheap. This new one should arrive soon.

I use them for sailing and racing and they take a brutal beating, no problem. All the sensors get used.

Having the lightweight titanium is really great. Try yours out before returning it.

My old titanium, think I’ve had it over 15 years, still works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. Not sure where the confusion came in but the question is should I keep the 3100. I also never had plans on keeping both watches. If I keep the 3100, the 1300 gets sold. If I return the 3100 I keep the 1300. If someone buys the 1300 off ebay, decision made for me, I keep the 1300.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the main thing is the compass, the 3100 is unlikely to be noticeably better than the 1300. The version 3 sensor is not known for having much better accuracy than version 2. Main thing is that the sensor is smaller and more efficient.
It was smaller and I liked the buttons better but since nobody jumped on my 1300 and because you were right about the sensors (the compass doesn't work in way too many scenarios on EITHER one) it's way back to Amazon and the good ole' 1300 is back in action.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
If I do not already have one and wanna get an ABC watch, 3100 is the obvious choice for me.

If I already have 1300, I wouldn’t bother to upgrade to 3100, regardless if 1300 has taker or not. Upgrade in functionality is marginal that I wouldn’t notice in my daily use.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,469 Posts
It's actually noticeable V2 has far better response, 1m elevation resolution and compass lasts longer. Not to mention 3100 is much much smaller.
But what to keep and what to sell .. it all in your head!
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,469 Posts
That said when i see older V2 model on e-bay at outrageous price i am thinking "Way to go! Ok next item. "

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That said when i see older V2 model on e-bay at outrageous price i am thinking "Way to go! Ok next item. "
The 3100 was only slightly smaller than the 1300 (which is what I'm assuming "V2" is) but it seemed like the characters were ever so slightly LARGER. I like that about it.

I had mine on ebay 2 or 3 times. Yes, a couple of weeks ago I saw 1300s going for way too much, that pushed me off the fence but I didn't even get a nibble on it.

The 3100 is on the way back with no regrets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts