WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my collection is made up of affordables. I've been saving up lately and selling off a few watches to set aside some funds for a higher end piece and I'm seriously considering the Omega Seamaster. I have about half of what I need saved up right now but most likely will have the rest of the funds within the next few months.

I've always loved the Seamaster ever since I was a little kid who saw James Bond wearing it. Now that im a little older, in college, and into watches I still love its looks and the quality that it comes with. The new update to the series with the addition of applied indices, the co-axial movt, etc, has made me drool even more.

Now my question to those that own one from someone who mostly has dealt with affordables: Is there anything about it that you didn't like after you bought it? Is there any reason I should not buy one or consider another brand in the same price range (Purely considering quality/longevity not just looks)? I know quite a bit about Omega and various other high end brands but I'm only a college student right now so I don't yet have the luxury of past experience, which to me seems like the best source for advice. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd been wanting one for five or six years and finally purchased my first last year, and my second this week. I absolutely love the SMP's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just be aware of maintenance costs. I think a full maintenance (which brings the watch to nearly new, basically) will run about $450-$485 for current movements, more for older movements. Omega recommends this every 4-5 years, so keep that in mind.

The Seamaster is a wonderful watch, and I don't think it's something you would regret. I have a Seamsaster Aqua Terra 8500 that I'm wearing right now, and I love it; there is quality in the details. One day it will need maintenance, but it's something you have to know going into a purchase like this. My brother has had a Seamaster chrono for 3.5 years and wears it every day without issue. They are robust, and will serve you well for many, many years if you so choose.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Don't buy it.

-The service cost rivals a Rolex.

-Every guy has one

-Every other guy has a cheap fake SMP

-Resale value sucked compare to a certain brand

other that that it's a great watch ;-)

Attachments

Reactions: portauto

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
In regards to service cost, you could buy quartz.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
It's a nice watch, but I'll talk you out of it as you requested.

1. It's quite ubiquitous as far as watches go, almost every WIS or non-WIS with a nice watch owns one.

2. Omega charges $1000 for a movement overhaul, even for a watch worth $2000.

3. The bracelet scratches easily and looks like crap in a few years.

4. For the price of 1 Seamaster, you could get 2+ Longines/Oris/Hamilton/Orient Star

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I would not get the "Bond" SMP myself. The lume on it was terrible and those dots are not that easy to see.
Get the now discontinued sword hand SMP (electric blue).

I really liked it better and I like the embossed SS bezel better than painted sheet metal one.

Here is what I am talking about:

Reactions: Medphred

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used to own the Seamaster PO. The hype is better than the watch.

Resale value is non-existent because the used market is flooded with them. If you bought one new, you will be lucky if you can get 50% back even if there still is warranty left on it.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I know that this was partly in jest and meant to be light hearted but being serious for a moment; people should take responsibility for their own purchase decisions and not leave it up to the words of random internet people.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Now you just need to get a few outfits by Tom Ford to complete the look, and practice very hard in front of mirror saying .. my name is bond, james bond.
I'd say get something a little less mass market, a Bremont SuperMarine perhaps.

·
Banned
381 Posts
No thank you

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know that this was partly in jest and meant to be light hearted but being serious for a moment; people should take responsibility for their own purchase decisions and not leave it up to the words of random internet people.
Im not leaving it up to random internet people. I'm asking if anyone with personal experience with the SMP would recommend it to another WIS who's looking at his first big purchase.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts