WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a Tudor and Rolex fan boy.

Somehow this watch got into my mind and cannot get it out. Help!

It has a sellita SW200.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
It looks like a Tudor Black Bay that was dropped on its head as a child.
Also, the handset is completely scuffed. Those rounded hour hands just scream Chinese factory to me.

Reactions: DonLuis

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Do not like. The proportions seem wrong. I can't quite place it, but it looks like what you would draw if someone described a Sub to you over the phone. That's what the proportions look like to me. The 24 hour hours are too small. The date seems a bit to central. The indices make the 3 and 9 region of the dial look a bit bulged out so the indices make an oval, not a circle. The name isn't symmetrical (20 ATM should be on its own, not right after the last word Sub, even if there's no way to make Sub look good). And again, I'm not a diver so I've never paid attention to this, but there's 3 markers representing 6-9 and 11-14, which is just wrong. I get it, 10 is big, but still.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Honestly, if you're really interested in a budget bronze piece, (and Glycine really does put out decent quality vs price specs), I'd go for the more original design of their bronze Airman models. They're fantastic budget pieces, and honestly feel much better quality than one would expect if you're used to wearing 2k and up watches daily.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Idk about that exact model, but I think Glycine makes watches with a bronze colored plating and actual bronze watches, and calls both of them "bronze." So make sure what you're getting is what you think it is. There are a number of microbrands that make similar bronze watches that aren't too expensive, too. Deep Blue is one of them.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I’m a Tudor and Rolex fan boy.

Somehow this watch got into my mind and cannot get it out. Help!

It has a sellita SW200.

I had the Glycine Combat in steel (twice, by mistake).
The SW200 inside was well regulated, or well found at least. Found the case finishing a bit disappointing. Otherwise it was a very attractive and very comfortable (slim) watch.
Being bronze I don't know if the slightly cheap finish carries over to this one. But to be honest for the money I paid ($350-450) both the steel were excellent value.
I don't see why you shouldn't buy the bronze if you like it.

If you want a bronze with much better finish, try either the CW Trident which is very good, or just get the Tudor Bronze.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the Tudor is going against.

I have a 79220N and a blue 58. This will be my first bronze watch.

I think I prefer without the explorer 369 and the crown wards.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts

I think I prefer without the explorer 369 and the crown wards.

If the budget isn't a problem, I find those blue Tudor - is that the Boucherer special? - very attractive.
That'd be the colourway I'd choose.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

Regarding bronze watches, make sure you know what to expect. The manufacturers use two very different types of bronze which have completely different characteristics in how they age.
  • Tin bronze (= copper + tin, CuSn6 or CuSn8) is reddish brown and forms a dark brown patina relatively quickly, with some verdigris here or there over the years.
  • Aluminium bronze (= copper + aluminium) is light golden and turns rather dull grey over time, but rather slowly. It doesn't form verdigris. It's the material used for ship's propellers.
So depending on what you're out after, some bronze watches my not be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
This is my CW with the CuSn6 - higher copper content, so a greater propensity to patatinate.
This is after about a year of natural (unforced) patination. You can see the areas that have a lot of wear/use, eg the bezel edge. Creates an attractive effect.
IMG_20210423_082049.jpg

·
Premium Member
Ball x2, B&M, CW, Edox, Eterna, Glycine, Hamilton, Marathon, MG x2, Mido, ML, Tag, Tissot, Yema
331 Posts
That is a good looking watch. Buy it then post pics of it here taken in various exotic locations across the globe.

This is what you really want to hear. Glad to be of assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Don't do it. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My philosophy with bronze is, if you’re gonna go bronze, bezel (insert) needs to be bronze. That essentially rules out 80 percent of the bronze watches for me. One of the biggest reason why I never purchased black bay bronze or Rado’s captain cook in bronze.
Just make that your philosophy as well and that automatically rules this glycine out :)
But in all honesty, you would be better off buying this, and scratching that itch otherwise you will keep wondering. We have all been there and that’s how that usually goes. It’s not an expensive piece so it’s a relatively cheap thrill. I say go for it, use it and experience it. You will tire of it rather quickly then just flip it. You won’t lose too much. And if you somehow unexpectedly fall in love then just keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My philosophy with bronze is, if you’re gonna go bronze, bezel (insert) needs to be bronze. That essentially rules out 80 percent of the bronze watches for me. One of the biggest reason why I never purchased black bay bronze or Rado’s captain cook in bronze.
Just make that your philosophy as well and that automatically rules this glycine out :)
But in all honesty, you would be better off buying this, and scratching that itch otherwise you will keep wondering. We have all been there and that’s how that usually goes. It’s not an expensive piece so it’s a relatively cheap thrill. I say go for it, use it and experience it. You will tire of it rather quickly then just flip it. You won’t lose too much. And if you somehow unexpectedly fall in love then just keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. With a bronze watch, the material is the feature/point. So the bezel looks best as solid bronze without an insert.
Having said that, the Tudor still looks cool.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Well, I'm a big fan of these babies..and I own other bronze watches(the CW C65 Diver, a Magrette, & a couple of Evants)..they represent excellent VFM, typically going in the mid $300.00 range..and mine have been problem free over the couple of years I've owned them..here are some pics..
Glycine Bronze Combat Subs(GL0187-Black Dial & Bezel; GL0174-Blue Bezel & Dial; & GL0281-Green...JPG

Glycine GL0266 Bronze Vintage Combat Sub(1).JPG

And, another vote for the Golden Eye should you decide to go the SS route!!..my PVD coated example has yet to chip or blemish..
Glycine Golden Eye GL0173(1).JPG

1 - 20 of 34 Posts