WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to replicate Tardy's duplex escapement (see image below). Does anybody know where I can get dimensions from?

This is a video that Ken Kuo made if you're wondering..

Text Illustration Font Art

Thanks

B

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You realize the problem with this escapement don't you? Or I should say, the double problem with it? It is not a detached escapement. This escapement was ultimately simplified to the "rack lever" escapement, which also has the same fault:not detached. The most detailed information about this escapement and all the other ones discarded on the road to the jeweled lever escapement can be found in Chamberlain's book "It's about time", easily the best book ever written about escapements and the evolution of escapements. It was published in the 1930s and you may have to get it from a specialize horological book seller.

You don't really need any particular dimensions. As you can see from the form of the escape wheel it is a recoil escapement. There's plans for those that can easily be found by looking on the Internet. All that has been done is that the verge pallets have been separated. So you can use whatever module for the teeth you feel like. I wonder if this ever was actually built. It is a monster of friction. There is no lift for the pallets supplied by the escape wheel, so the balances have to supply all the lift while fighting against the gears in the days of fish oil lubrication.

Also look up the rack lever if you like this escapement. BTW, I'm a big fan of Ken Kuo's animations also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I agree, it isn't the most efficient escapement out there. I want to use it purely for aesthetic reasons as part of a kinetic sculpture.

Ken actually sent me the model he used in his animation last night :D

I will definitely be hunting down Chamberlain's book "It's about time" thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I agree, it isn't the most efficient escapement out there. I want to use it purely for aesthetic reasons as part of a kinetic sculpture.

Ken actually sent me the model he used in his animation last night :D

Hey DrBwts, Did you ever make a replica of the escapement. I would like to see it in real life. I want to make one as well. are you able to share the dimensions with me?

·
1,297 Posts
1Colonna,
Please note that DrBwts hasn't been here in over 4 years, so you likely won't get a response from them.
Regards,
Samantha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts