WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals. First time poster here, with a bit of a dilemma. Looking for a beater and a diver at the same time, i have the following problem : i have a 7 inch wrist and i was wondering if i can pull of the Tauchmeister 1000m in 52mm guise. Does anyone have that wrist size/ case size combo going on? If so, some pics would be appreciated. I, unfortunately, cant try it on, as its not available in any watch shop around me (online only) and i dont know what to do. I figured i can pull of the 46 mm, as i have a 44 mm Timex (to be fair, its 5 mm thinner). What do you guys think?
Also, i think i will be wearing it on a Nato strap and i know that adds height to it.

Thank you for you time (and pics, if any)!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey....welcome to the forum.

Everyone is different in terms of what they prefer....and even what they can pull off. I have a 7.25" wrist but I'm a pretty big guy everywhere else so I feel I can pull off some watches with bigger wrist presence.

For reference... my max sizing:
42mm diameter
20-22 lug width
54 lug to lug
15mm height (total)

I do have a Orient roadster with is 46 wide by 56 l2l. But it's pretty flat.

A wider bezel will also cause the watch to where smaller. Skinnier bezels make it look bigger. Tall watches with smaller l2l and width can look much larger.

A lot comes down to preference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ve seen, on another thread, that the 46 mm measures in at 44 actually, as if they measured it with the crown. So it would stand to reason that they wear a bit smaller than case size would suggest. But still, a 50 on a 7 inch wrist and also im not a big boy..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes....plus other watches with shrouds and hidden lugs have been reported to wear smaller. Kind of like how people say the 46mm Seiko Tuna wears small. For reference, JOMW on youtube has a unboxing video along with wrist shots of a 46mm tuna. He has a 7" wrist.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
7” wrist here and after lots of trial and error have settled on a max diameter of 42mm for watches with a bezel and 40mm for non bezel watches. Truthfully, I prefer them to be even smaller, 40mm and 38mm respectively.

With that said it’s a very personal preference and L2L, case design, lug shape and case back protrusion can be as important as overall size especially in regards to wearability.

One has to sample a few watches to figure all of this out and if you play in the shallow end of pricing there is certainly nothing wrong with trying a range of different sizes.

My advice is to lean towards a smaller case diameter, particularly if this will fill the roll of an everyday watch. I’ve owned my share of bigger watches and they can become uncomfortable to wear on a regular basis.

I do like the style and design of the Tauchmeister/Apex/Divex watches and they seem to be well made.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
There are several options in this style of watch. Marathon comes to mind. This is their 41mm TSAR on a flat 7” wrist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. I think i will go for the 46 mm, as it seems it would fit better. Now to figure out if i want a mechanical or a quartz, because i think service will be questionable where i live and my reasoning is that hopefully, a mechanical will need to be opened less frequently. Might be wrong, i still have a lot to learn.
Have a nice day, everyone!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I think i will go for the 46 mm, as it seems it would fit better. Now to figure out if i want a mechanical or a quartz, because i think service will be questionable where i live and my reasoning is that hopefully, a mechanical will need to be opened less frequently. Might be wrong, i still have a lot to learn.
Have a nice day, everyone!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
With any Seiko nh35 or Miyota 8xxx series (or similar) movements, it would be cheaper to order a new movement and replace it rather than having the watch serviced. But then again, this concept holds true for quartz even more so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts