WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
purchased the tauchmeister t0077. as usual no instructions with watch. really would like to understand the nitrogen release valve??? do i have to do something??? also has a second time zone. i see the 0-2400 section...can i set it??? giving the watch as a xmas present and would like to explain just how to set it up...tks in advance...chuck.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It is not Nitrogen release but Helium release crown/valve:

Here is an extract taken from a site on the net:

"What does a Helium Relief Valve really do?

The purpose and function of the helium relief valve is a common point of confusion. It has nothing to do with normal underwater diving. Neither does it have anything to do with the depth rating for a diving watch. Helium does NOT seep into the watch while the watch is in water at any depth!

To put it simply, you can completely ignore a helium relief valve. This feature is not used in any way with any form of normal SCUBA diving or anything else that involves less than a multi-million dollar deep sea exploration project.

SCUBA diving activities normally occur at depths of no more than 120 feet. At 250 feet, air becomes toxic due to changes caused by the high pressures at such depths. For those who do very deep sea research, they often use diving bells, dry dive suits, and other types of very deep ocean exploration vessels. In some of these, a highly helium-saturated atmosphere is used to avoid the air toxicity effect.

The purpose of a helium release valve is for people who wear their watch inside the helium-saturated environment for an extended period. Because helium is the smallest atom, it will seep through the watch's seals under the high air (not water) pressures in this environment. If the watch stays in this environment for an extended time, helium will continue to seep in to the watch until the air pressure inside the watch (initially surface air pressure) equalizes to the air pressure in the environment.

This becomes a problem when the vessel is brought back up and depressurized. The helium which seeped into the watch over a couple of days, cannot seep out any faster. The excess pressure inside the watch needs a way to release faster than it seeped in. It is only in this situation that a watch needs a helium relief valve at all. If a relief valve was not on the watch, the excess pressure would likely escape by pushing the crystal out.

But, unless you are in this exact situation, you should never keep this valve open. While the watch is designed to maintain most of its waterproof abilities even when the valve open, it still serves no purpose and increases risk of damage to the watch to do so.

This feature is so exotic that it really exists mostly as a curiosity. It makes the watch look more interesting and have an unique feature that other watchmakers are unlikely to copy."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
watchboy: tks for all the information. i realized it was a helium valve just after i posted the question. some great information from you. now all i have to do is figue-out the second time zone they refur to. maybe i'll just carefully play with the watch and see if it can be set...tks again..chuck.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
According to this site below:

http://watchxl.com/product_info.php?cPath=50_54&products_id=317

It says that it can be adjust at position one of the crown, I presume it is the position when you adjust the date too. I think, though not 100% sure, in the opposite direction of the turning to adjust the date is how you adjust the 2nd time zone.

I do not have this model, so again I might not be 100% correct.:think:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I own this watch by the way and its a TANK! Love it.

Wish it was Automatic indeed but still love it.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Excellent Jacky , nice thought out explanation.:-!
Thanks
robert

The purpose and function of the helium relief valve .....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Excellent Jacky , nice thought out explanation.:-!
Thanks
robert

The purpose and function of the helium relief valve .....
Thanks Robert, well I did not do much but just googled it out!:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
6,203 Posts

The purpose and function of the helium relief valve is a common point of confusion. It has nothing to do with normal underwater diving. Neither does it have anything to do with the depth rating for a diving watch. Helium does NOT seep into the watch while the watch is in water at any depth!

To put it simply, you can completely ignore a helium relief valve. This feature is not used in any way with any form of normal SCUBA diving or anything else that involves less than a multi-million dollar deep sea exploration project.

SCUBA diving activities normally occur at depths of no more than 120 feet. At 250 feet, air becomes toxic due to changes caused by the high pressures at such depths. For those who do very deep sea research, they often use diving bells, dry dive suits, and other types of very deep ocean exploration vessels. In some of these, a highly helium-saturated atmosphere is used to avoid the air toxicity effect.

The purpose of a helium release valve is for people who wear their watch inside the helium-saturated environment for an extended period. Because helium is the smallest atom, it will seep through the watch's seals under the high air (not water) pressures in this environment. If the watch stays in this environment for an extended time, helium will continue to seep in to the watch until the air pressure inside the watch (initially surface air pressure) equalizes to the air pressure in the environment.

This becomes a problem when the vessel is brought back up and depressurized. The helium which seeped into the watch over a couple of days, cannot seep out any faster. The excess pressure inside the watch needs a way to release faster than it seeped in. It is only in this situation that a watch needs a helium relief valve at all. If a relief valve was not on the watch, the excess pressure would likely escape by pushing the crystal out.

But, unless you are in this exact situation, you should never keep this valve open. While the watch is designed to maintain most of its waterproof abilities even when the valve open, it still serves no purpose and increases risk of damage to the watch to do so.

This feature is so exotic that it really exists mostly as a curiosity. It makes the watch look more interesting and have an unique feature that other watchmakers are unlikely to copy."

Interesting read Jacky,|>

In theory a watch company could just slap another crown on a case and proclaim it to be a HEV/HRV and 99.9% of the owners would never know, Unless they actually did Sat work, I have seen a couple of watches that had Mickey Mouse HEV valves on them 100% NON FUNTIONAL.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Interesting read Jacky,|>

In theory a watch company could just slap another crown on a case and proclaim it to be a HEV/HRV and 99.9% of the owners would never know, Unless they actually did Sat work, I have seen a couple of watches that had Mickey Mouse HEV valves on them 100% NON FUNTIONAL.
LOL!!!!:-! True!!!

But I read somewhere, that the Tauchmeister 1000m were tested at its rated WR. Someone mentioned it in WUS but it was quite long ago. :think: Damn I can't remember who mentioned it.O|

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
LOL!!!!:-! True!!!

But I read somewhere, that the Tauchmeister 1000m were tested at its rated WR. Someone mentioned it in WUS but it was quite long ago. :think: Damn I can't remember who mentioned it.O|

In all honesty I think the Deporte brand is closer to acctual correct Depth rating 300m and the watches both Dporte and Tauch are identical in everyway except WR??? so I have know idea if the Tauch is accurately described or not, either way I like all the ones I have, and I guess I will never really know either way, what I do know is they are OK for taking a plonge every now and then, and work flawlessly,:-!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
In all honesty I think the Deporte brand is closer to acctual correct Depth rating 300m and the watches both Dporte and Tauch are identical in everyway except WR??? so I have know idea if the Tauch is accurately described or not, either way I like all the ones I have, and I guess I will never really know either way, what I do know is they are OK for taking a plonge every now and then, and work flawlessly,:-!
Besides Deporte, there is ANOTHER brand with this design too and I can't remember it!O|O|O|(Age is catching up!:-D) Anyway as long as one likes it and as long as it runs in good acceptable accuracy, they are good watches. Afterall, how many divers here actually do more than or near 1000m down below? In fact, I do daily above sea lever of desk diving in my office daily! :-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Besides Deporte, there is ANOTHER brand with this design too and I can't remember it!O|O|O|(Age is catching up!:-D) Anyway as long as one likes it and as long as it runs in good acceptable accuracy, they are good watches. Afterall, how many divers here actually do more than or near 1000m down below? In fact, I do daily above sea lever of desk diving in my office daily! :-D:-D:-D

Astina, Divesafe, Poseidon, Aqualung, StMoritz Super storm, Deporte,Ferrari, and the list goes on and on .

I like the the Tauch there cheap solid and good value, all the ones I have are the Automatics.

This one I built from parts as I liked the case style but no the original case so its a Hybrid of many bits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts