WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandmother gave this to my wife the day of our marriage. I did not know about this and still don't know a thing... Does anyone has any info (year, model, value etc) about this Technos 17 Rubis 18K Gold watch with 30 diamonds on it? The weird thing that dropped our jaws is that when we clocked it we saw that it actually.... STILL WORKS !!!
DSC03851.JPG DSC03859.jpg DSC03862.JPG DSC03863.JPG DSC03860.JPG DSC03854.JPG DSC03855.JPG

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
'''My grandmother gave this to my wife the day of our marriage. I did not know about this and still don't know a thing...'''

Are your trying to say granny and your wife made a secret out of this?

What concerns the brand, here is some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technos_(watches)

I cannot imagine that the watch went out of the factory like this; most likely a jeweller took a standard (gold) watch and combined it with a nice piece of jewelry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL ! no of course not ! My grandma had it for years. I think it was a gift to her by my grandpa. I first saw it on our wedding day. She gave it as a wedding present to my wife

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
LOL ! no of course not ! My grandma had it for years. I think it was a gift to her by my grandpa. I first saw it on our wedding day. She gave it as a wedding present to my wife
Sorry, just a joke. I think here you have to differentiate between the watch and the jewelry around, which is a unique (and presumably valuable) piece of work. 18K (0.525) gold and the diamonds. What would bring the experts here any further, would be a picture of the movement. The case on this type of watch is normally very easy to open, but I don't know how complicated it is now with the work around. Of course, when you check the link above, it is an old watch from the earlier 20th century and not a product from a later stage in the company's history.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can make a video for you to watch on Youtube if you want. I see that you know more than me on this matter ! Your opinion would sure help a lot !

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
A Youtube video would not get us any further. The pictures tell enough. As I said, you have a nice bracelet combined with a standard Technos watch, something unique and unusual.

To say more about the watch/movement itself, one would have to see a picture of the movement with good visibility of the details. If that would be just the standard model of Technos, I would also say it's an easy pop off - snap on case, where you can't do much wrong and the back comes off with ease. There is also a lip for that purpose, or you go in between the upper and lower part of the case with a sharp knife to lever the house open. There should be practically no resistance, unlike on later watches which need a special tool to press the bottom back on. Here you can press both sides together with your fingers (not putting force on the glas/acryl!)

The crown and stem are not in a hole, but in a slot (that's why these old watches are not watertight), so one would have to be careful that the movement doesn't fall out. Also do not press the knife to hard to the inside, not to hit the movement/dial/pointers when the upper and lower parts of the case open up.

If you are afraid to make any mistake, look for a watch collector (they all know how to do that after six month experience with wrist watches) or go to a watchmaker and ask him to open it for you. You can push the back on back home after you took the pictures of the movement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see... Thank you for your help Border-Reiver ! Maybe I'll try to open it. If I make it, I'll get back to you with more pics.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi and welcome
I beleive the watch to be all original, gold and diamonds and very smart indeed.

Its a very nice piece, and still wearable because its a magnificent piece of jewellery.
In this case movement is irrelevant (unless its a Patek)
PS - I would NOT try to open it, 18kt gold is too easily marked

ENJOY and KEEP
adam

Reactions: AntKa

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I just opened an old Gotham watch, some 10 to 15 years 'younger' than yours, but same case type. There is one thing which is a bit more tricky: Once the case is open, you have to take the movement out and put it upside down to make the shots of the movement. Of course, it should not come to rest on the dial and the pointers. The watchmaker has special movement holders which support the outer part or the sides of the dial, you have to improvise here. Do not put it on a cotton pad or something similar, as you get a lot of fluff inside the watch. Perhaps you can hold it with your fingers at the side, whilst somebody else makes the images.

But as Horologist007 mentioned, be especially careful with gold, although a normal opening job with the right tool /case opener knife should leave no scratches. If you are satisfied with what you have so far, a Techno watch from the earlier 20th century, most likely with a more standard movement of whatever make, leave it closed. The value comes predominantly from the jewelry work and its unique design and not from the watch. I still firmly believe that the watch has not left the factory in this way and was integrated into a piece of art by a jeweler afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Personally I am against even gently pushing unexperienced users to open cases for little reason.
Opening the case may be easy, but removing these tiny movements that can be VERY tightly fitted into the case back, is hazardous to the non experienced and I speak from experience

To OP - my advice leave well alone, let a jeweler do it, but the movement will add little to your watch.
That is my advice!
adam

Reactions: AntKa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much for your great help guys ! I know that putting a price tag is hard, but do you have ANY idea about that?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Personally I am against even gently pushing unexperienced users to open cases for little reason.
Opening the case may be easy, but removing these tiny movements that can be VERY tightly fitted into the case back, is hazardous to the non experienced and I speak from experience

To OP - my advice leave well alone, let a jeweler do it, but the movement will add little to your watch.
That is my advice!
adam
I certainly cannot object to this statement (like I cannot object to the standard statements on plastic bags as to the danger for small children), but then one of the original questions remains unanswered 'Does anyone has any info (year, model, value etc) '. What concerns the value, besides the fact that we generally don't do this here, it really depends on the weight of the gold and the quaility of the diamonds and that can only be answerd by a jeweler anyway.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thank you very much for your great help guys ! I know that putting a price tag is hard, but do you have ANY idea about that?

According to the forum rules, one does not make any valuations here and besides, this is almost impossible based on images. In this case there is another aspect and that is the valuation of this piece of jewelry, with the prevailing price of the gold and the weight you have and the quality of the diamonds. They only way to find out would be to go to a decent, honest and reliable jeweler. Only he can tell. The watch is old and when functioning worth something, but it is not one of the high-end watches of its time. The combination of the whole thing is really unique and might attract some collector, but the watch enthusiast does not want to pay for gold and diamonds (around a more standard watch) and the jeweler will go more for the value of the material. I think such a gorgeous piece has the highest value as a family heirloom and is amazing as such to anyone looking at it, not just watch enthusiasts.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Price will be gold weight, plus diamond carat count, plus a little bit more.
a jeweler can access the diamonds and gold
best
a

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
That all reminds me of another watch, a Chopard (in this case, made this way in the factory). The value of this watch with all the gold and diamonds was equaling the price of a mid sized car and then got into the hands of a jeweler and gold purchaser... The movement (ETA 2442) was saved and sold at eBay. It came to me in a padded envelope wrapped into a paper napkin. Don't let that happen with your precious piece of a watch!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not even thinking of selling it ! My wife, but most of all my grandma would definitely shot me on the spot ! hahahah

1 - 20 of 22 Posts