WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am thinking about buying a Techtrail (or Highgear) Altis SS. Does anyone have any experiences with this watch, or live pictures? I would like to see the watch on a wrist from different angles to see how big it is, but i can't find any pics on the internet. It's also hard to find any reviews.

Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey,

I am thinking about buying a Techtrail (or Highgear) Altis SS. Does anyone have any experiences with this watch, or live pictures? I would like to see the watch on a wrist from different angles to see how big it is, but i can't find any pics on the internet. It's also hard to find any reviews.

Thanks!
I have the High Gear Altis ti and it is an awesome watch. A good site for photos is www.zappos.com.

Its an amazing ABC watch, and for looks it great outdoors or in the office. I have had mine camping, hiking, riding and its stood up awesome.

I have never had to calibrate the compass since I purchased it new, and it has been highly accurate!

The baro is always spot on. The most unique feature is the alti lock. After 30 minutes of no or little movement the altimeter locks, so reduces baro drift a lot. You also have 3 presets for the alti for quick reference. The alti unlocks when it senses more vertical movement, and Ive found it very, very accurate!! When making a log its very fast at updating vertical speed real time.

Both the baro and alti have graphs.

Ive tested it against my trusted Suunto X9i over a few days, where I went for a few rides, worked in an office, ran, and it was 2 meters difference at the end of the day with my Suunto. The catch is as with my Suunto you have to manually lock out either the baro or alti.

The chrono is awesome. It has a ski function for altimeter and timer which I would never use though.

I still prefer my X9i, but also dont want to wear my Suunto everyday as its so good I want to try and keep it for what it is meant for: GPS!

But the Altis is my solid, everyday performer, and seems bulletproof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's some info i needed. The pics give a good impression of the watch, it seems big and robust. I might order one soon...

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Hmm. I've never found a solid real world review of this brand. the fews reviews I've seen always refer to it as a decent intro level ABC, with the implication being that once you are used to it you'll be ready to move to the more advanced models.

Is there any particular highgear model that stands out above the others? I'd be interested in giving these a test drive.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Another couple of cool features now that I am thinking about it are a dedicated backlight button, and each screen (time, altimeter, barometer) have 'pre-set' customizeable screens. In time mode you can choose several different looks for how you want the time and info displayed, and what you want displayed.

...lastly, the sensor is Swiss...seems pretty darn accurate and fast to me!

Im on my 4th week without re-calibrating the compass, and only the odd adjustment of the altimeter to ensure the baro accuracy. The nice thing about the auto altimeter mode is, even if it is slightly off after a lot of movement, its close enough to ensure an accurate baro reading and graph.

Im not sure why they are not more popular or get more reviews...maybe just not that well known yet or something? My cousin is a 24 hour adventure racer and he and his wife came to town for a visit the other week, and I noticed he used the High Gear Summit I think it was. Said it has been bomb proof for the past 2 years.

Although I am a big Suunto fan (X9i for GPS and for route recall via Google Earth/remember routes/track routes and a T6 with bike sensor for workouts/riding/downloading; my wife has a T3) I was VERY disappointed after burning through 3 CORES during mild, everyday use. The High Gear has done admirably, and like every new device I did have some questions for High Gear when learning it, and I had responses in 24 hours. The responses were like getting an email from a friend too, and very personable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't know if anyone can confirm this, but I think I'm right in saying that Highgear make theirs to US military standards.

The Summit in charcoal has caught my eye on many an occasion... :)

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I don't know if anyone can confirm this, but I think I'm right in saying that Highgear make theirs to US military standards.

The Summit in charcoal has caught my eye on many an occasion... :)
I have seen several militaria websites carry highear products, but have never heard this claim substantiated. My first question would have to be what are these exact standards that often get thrown about in conversation? Does the modern US military have specific requirements for modern watches to do specific duties?

Since the US military no longer issue watches as standard equipment, I would be surprised to learn that they had a current standards requirement.

Can you tell us more?

·
Registered
10,604 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Another couple of cool features now that I am thinking about it are a dedicated backlight button, and each screen (time, altimeter, barometer) have 'pre-set' customizeable screens. In time mode you can choose several different looks for how you want the time and info displayed, and what you want displayed.

...lastly, the sensor is Swiss...seems pretty darn accurate and fast to me!

Im on my 4th week without re-calibrating the compass, and only the odd adjustment of the altimeter to ensure the baro accuracy. The nice thing about the auto altimeter mode is, even if it is slightly off after a lot of movement, its close enough to ensure an accurate baro reading and graph.

Im not sure why they are not more popular or get more reviews...maybe just not that well known yet or something? My cousin is a 24 hour adventure racer and he and his wife came to town for a visit the other week, and I noticed he used the High Gear Summit I think it was. Said it has been bomb proof for the past 2 years.

Although I am a big Suunto fan (X9i for GPS and for route recall via Google Earth/remember routes/track routes and a T6 with bike sensor for workouts/riding/downloading; my wife has a T3) I was VERY disappointed after burning through 3 CORES during mild, everyday use. The High Gear has done admirably, and like every new device I did have some questions for High Gear when learning it, and I had responses in 24 hours. The responses were like getting an email from a friend too, and very personable.
How did you "burn trough 3 Cores"? What happened to them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts